587,801 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: set offsets

set offsets

How do I set X,Y,Z for E1 and E2 on a Fadal VMC 15. I thought I did it right but that's what I get for thinking!

I have everything figured out now except Z. Still can't get Z set

Z AXIS SHOULD BE AT THE CS (0) FOR A TOOL CHANGE

Speaking of offsets,
    How do you set a different tool height for the same tool, just at a different g55 location.
    Thanks

you just do a different location for each E offset, or part in a vise...

I do E1 based on a .250 part in the vise. I use E1 T1 H1 D1
    However, if I change to a .500 part in that E1 location, then I do E1 T1 H11 D1

I just move the 2nd Z height so I can change between the .250 part and the .500 part.

Now, if you have a vise with multi E offsets... ( I do ) .. I have E1 E2 E3 on one vise jaw set. Each location does have a different height. I have to do the setup the first time with it over writing the H1 location, but I write it all down, and then manually enter the heights to the second locations.

E1 T1 H1 D1
    E2 T1 H11 D1
    E3 T1 H22 D1

3 stage process with the same part moving from offset to offset, same tool, just different heights. Keeps me from having to reset the height at the different offsets.

Now if you break a tool along the way... well, you get to start over with the height numbers again. I guess if you measure the tool in the holder you could get another tool back in there really really close, then the same height offsets would apply.

HTH...

Thanks,
    Found out later today. Once your in the tool offset section, hit the space bar, that will take you to the tool offsets for X,Y&Z. Adjust as need for the offset you are adjusting, G54(1) (G55) 2 and so forth.
    Wish I found that sooner, so today is not all lost, I learnt somethink new!!
    Thanks again,
    Smitty

I find it easier to use the Z offset in each of the E workshifts while using just one tool length H offset number. This way all I need to do is set each tool once and keep track of one H offset for each. Also when a tool needs replacing you just reset it at the same location as originally and you're off cutting without trouble.

The part that makes this work best for me is using a standard point to set all tools. I use the left rear corner of my left vise, which never moves.

On a couple high repeat set-ups with inserted tooling that never gets dismounted I have even gone as far as loading all the offsets in with the program. Then I just press start and I'm making parts.