588,126 active members*
5,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC #2!

CNC #2!

Hi Guys,

Im beginning the design phase of my second router table, first one was MDF, movable gantry. It left a lot to be desired. Im an ElectroMechanical engineering student at the moment so I hope to gain some good knowledge with this design.

Heres the preliminary table, its a stationary gantry design. The base it made out of 2X1X.065 steel tube, everything else is basically 3/4" aluminum

Ball screw is 5TPI ground, check out the pics, let me know what you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC_1.jpg   CNC_2.jpg   CNC_3.jpg   CNC_4.PNG  

CNC_5.jpg  

Anyone? Comments? Concerns? Nausea?

looks good. You may want to use some cheap spray insulation inside the square tubing to keep the echoing vibrations from creating or at least dampen them. and some bellows to cover up the ballscrew. also since you are going with a fixed gantry you could beef up the gantry sides a little. thay no longer need to be slanted back for maximum travel. other than that good luck. looking good.

Thanks, do you think I should go a little thicker on the tubing? Everything will be tig welded on the base, so I dont know if warping will cause a huge issue?

Depends on how good your welding is. I dont think you'll have much trouble though. But run a few tack welds to get everything together, then make adjustments to get it level, then run all of your final welds.

I cant really see underneath your X table, but in picture 3 there seems to be a cross brace. I was going to say you should put one in so that you dont get any flexing along the side of your frame where your gantry sides attach, but I think you already have it.

Your right, I have a total of 3 cross-braces, with one in the middle. I can weld pretty well(on steel at least!) I think I might make the sides a little bigger, maybe 1 X 4 tube.

CAD01, the reason for the slanted gantry is more so meant for access. Where the machine will be mounted the best access to the router is from the side, so the slant helps us get in.

Thanks for your replies!

Its been a while, but I have done a fair bit of work on my CNC. Design has changed a wee bit.

Heres a video of me testing the X-Axis.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwD_KNThyts]Homemade CNC, X-Axis Test - YouTube[/ame]

Currently I'm powering the motor using a way undersized PSU. Hopefully with the correct PSU I should see some pretty fast rapid speeds. Currently im at 300IPM or so.

Quote Originally Posted by tanky321 View Post
    Its been a while, but I have done a fair bit of work on my CNC. Design has changed a wee bit.

Heres a video of me testing the X-Axis.

Homemade CNC, X-Axis Test - YouTube

Currently I'm powering the motor using a way undersized PSU. Hopefully with the correct PSU I should see some pretty fast rapid speeds. Currently im at 300IPM or so.
    Looks good...