587,880 active members*
3,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Wood Router Project Log > Retrofitting the old V-Groove Router to round linear slides!
Page 3 of 5 12345
    A little more progress today!
    For starters, I cut the screws for all three axis and turned the ends.

Then I cut the stock for the 12 standoffs for the motors, and ran off a few setups on the lathe to finish them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4572.JPG   100_4573.JPG   100_4574.JPG   100_4575.JPG  

great progress there wm! but since you said v-groove is no-good, can you elaborate on that a bit? wobble? soft rails perhaps? not smooth?

Quote Originally Posted by posix View Post
    great progress there wm! but since you said v-groove is no-good, can you elaborate on that a bit? wobble? soft rails perhaps? not smooth?
    The v-groove bearings from Bishop Wisecarver are super quality, but it was my design choice that was no good! The W0 bearings & cams were too delicate for the massive weight of my machined parts! Therefore, if I increased the bearings to W1 then it might of worked. I was too aggravated at that point in the project to think clearly!

Widgit
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

ok, that's what I thought!

This morning I worked on the top & bottom bearing plates for the x-axis slide. Didn't have enough time to take photos, but I do have the final assembly pictures!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4576.jpg   100_4577.JPG   100_4578.jpg  

More progress today!
    First I milled a flat on the motor ends of all three lead screws, so the coupling's setscrews will not chew up the shaft diameter.

Then I inked up one end of each z-axis linear rail, and scribed a line at the cut off point. With an abrasive cutoff wheel in my surface grinder, I placed both rails in a vise and cut the bulk off both at once! Then I used a 3/4" carbide 4-flute end mill to machine the case hardened rails to length, the freshly milled surface exposed the 1/16" deep case hardened surface! Now I used my lathe to chamfer the sharp milled end, and stoned the burr off while it spun at 2000 RPM.

Next I place the rail in the mill vise, and milled a .015" deep flat, 1/4" wide on both ends. The flats have to be in line with each other, as there are setscrews on either side of the top & bottom plates to hold the rails in place. Again, I stoned the burrs off and polished the rail with a rubber abrasive stick. Now I have to haul it all in the house for assembly!

Lastly, another big chunk of aluminum has arrived, it will be band sawed into a few smaller blocks. Two of them will become the Z-Axis slide blocks!

The Z-Axis slide will be made of two parts, simply because its too difficult to make accurate bores with internal snap ring grooves on long angular parts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4579.JPG   100_4580.jpg   100_4581.JPG   100_4582.JPG  

100_4583.JPG   100_4585.JPG   100_4586.JPG   100_4587.JPG  

100_4588.JPG   100_4589.JPG   100_4590.JPG   100_4591.jpg  

100_4592.JPG  

This morning I started working on the big aluminum block, as I plan to machine all 6 sides as parallel and perpendicular as possible.

To do this I removed the hard jaws from the vise, and placed the block wide-side down on the floor of the vise. Then I propped each end up with matched 1-2-3 blocks, and used my Starrett Hold-Downs to pull the block down tightly on the 1-2-3 blocks. Then I used my large fly cutter to skim cut the top surface.

Next I flipped the block over, and repeated the process until the block had two parallel surfaces. In order to mill the 3rd & 4th surfaces perpendicular, I installed a tall pair of vise jaws, and put the block back in the vise with narrow side up. By wiggling the block as I closed the vise, I ensured the block was sitting squarely in the vise.

Again I used the fly-cutter to skim off the top surface, and flipped the block and repeated the process until two more surfaces were parallel and perpendicular.

Now I need to remove the vise, and setup my tall angle plate. First I clamped it loosely to the table, then I used a dial-indicator mounted in the mill's spindle to adjust the angle plate until it was parallel to the mills axis.

With a plate bolted to the side of my angle plate, I now have a 90 deg. corner for the block to nest into. With a large pair of clamps, I'm now ready to skim the top off the block with the fly-cutter. Then I flipped the block and repeated the process. Now the block is parallel & perpendicular on all surfaces.

This block will make two different parts, and I needed to have some precision surfaces to work from as I layout my lines for cutting. The best part, is all the leftover parts will have nicely machines surfaces

Before I start the layout, I need to band saw a long chunk off the block, and machine it parallel again! This will give me the 4" width of both parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4592.JPG   100_4593.JPG   100_4594.JPG   100_4595.JPG  

100_4596.JPG   100_4597.JPG   100_4598.JPG   100_4599.JPG  

100_4600.JPG   100_4601.JPG  

everything is looking cool!

just out of curiosity, what coolant you use on your mill?

I think it's Arizona Iced Tea

Quote Originally Posted by rustamd View Post

Quote Originally Posted by rustamd View Post

Looks like Eric is not using any lubricant since this is aluminum and he's fly cutting the block. Many of us just use an occasional spray of WD-40 to get a really smooth final pass finish with a face mill.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Good question, and I hate the smell of WD-40
    On one piece or short runs I rarely use coolant, unless the tool starts to load up. When fly-cutting, the tram of the head has as much to do with finish as the cutting edge! After a few passes, I can see which direction is double cutting, and choose NOT to use that one for my final pass! Also, I have a new diamond wheel tool grinder, and it allows me to put a super keen radius edge on the carbide. So on my final pass, I take the little brush out of the coolant cup, and use a blast of air to spray a fine amount of coolant all over the final surface. This works great when the spindle is running too! Then I slow my feed down and get the best final finish!

The new tool grinder was from Enco, and it was poorly made (Chinese) The aluminum hubs which the wheels bolted to were not well made, so I bought some 6" dia. stock and made my own! Then the diamond wheel ran dead true and had no vibrations! This is very important on a diamond wheel, as they will quickly develop bald spots which were actually high spots! The Diamond face wheel cost me around $75, the grinder motor cost me another $260 The pedestal is from eBay!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4603.JPG  

Kerosene is supposed to work also, but I hate the smell of that even worse than WD-40.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

This morning I split the block with the band saw, and machined the saw cut surface to dimension using the fly-cutter and some soft jaws in a vise.

Then I milled a step in the end to bring the part to length, and setup for the three slots & t-slots. Using a .1000" gage block (used), I set the z-axis to zero on the top of the block. Then I milled three shallow cuts on location, just to prove my numbers were correct. Then I milled the slots to depth & width using the 1/4" 2-flute end mill. Next I loaded up the T-Slot cutter, and again set the z to zero. The last operation was to mill a shallow slot with a 1/4" ball end mill, as this will become a fillet radius after a few milling operations are complete.

Finally, I used a blue marker and my height gage to layout the profile of the back of the part. This will be pushed through the band saw after lunch!

I'm hungry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4604.JPG   100_4605.JPG   100_4606.JPG   100_4607.JPG  

100_4608.JPG   100_4609.JPG   100_4610.JPG   100_4611.JPG  

100_4612.JPG   100_4613.JPG   100_4614.JPG   100_4615.JPG  

The block went through the saw quickly, so I moved on to the next opp! Putting the block back in the vise, I milled the flat near the end of the block, and milled another fillet radius. Then I set the DRO to zero in the middle of the block and the middle of the protruding end. Then I used a 1/8" 2-flute end mill to mill four slots in both x & Y axis, the slots are .1250" deep. Now with a 1/4" end mill. I removed all the material from each remaining square, leaving .005" on the floor. Then I removed the remaining material, leaving all surfaces the same depth.

Next I drilled four .316" dia. holes, about 1" deep, the hole will be exposed when the web is milled on the reverse side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4616.JPG   100_4617.JPG   100_4618.JPG   100_4619.JPG  

Now for the big opp!

The vise needs to be removed, cleaned and setup in the long direction. Then the head on the mill needs to be trammed to 6.90 Deg., this is done with a 6x6 sine plate. By multiplying the sine of 6.9 by 5, which is the distance between the two round pins under the sine plate. With a .601" stack of space blocks, I set the sine plate in the vise. Now I put my dial indicator in the spindle and rotated it freely and adjusted the mill until I had Zero on four points across the top of the sine plate. Now the head is trammed, and locked up tight.

The sine plate has been removed and the part is now in the vise, propped up on parallels. With the fly-cutter, I visually aligned the radius of the cutting tool with the center of the fillet radius on the part. Then I set the DRO to y-zero. After a few .015" deep passes, I made one clean pass and set the z-axis (the knee) to zero. Then I used a depth mic, a 1/4" dowel, and a steel block. By measuring the distance from the top of the block to the top of the pin, I can now place the pin in the root of the fillet radius. Again I measured from the top of the block to the top of the pin, and found I had .026" left to remove.

Now I made a few more rouging passes, and one final .002" deep finish pass with oil, and reduced feed & speed. The finish is excellent, and the angular surface blended in perfectly with the fillet radius! The back of the block is now finished!

I'm tired and hungry again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4621.JPG   100_4622.jpg   100_4623.JPG   100_4624.JPG  

100_4625.JPG   100_4626.JPG   100_4627.JPG   100_4628.JPG  

100_4629.JPG   100_4630.jpg   100_4631.jpg  

This morning I started by tramming the head on the mill, then I placed the part on its side and dialed it in so both mounting surfaces were parallel to the table. Then I picked up part-zero and set the DRO to x,y zero. Next I used a small center drill to put a spot on location which indicates the center of the next fillet radius. The coordinates will not be easily obtained when the part is rotated at 6.9 deg. So all I need to do is dial in the center hole!

Next I clamped one of the 2-4-6 blocks to the center of the table and dialed it in, now I have a parallel surface to clamp the part to for the next four operations! So using a few straps and a big clamp, I now can dial in that center hole and set x,y zero on the DRO. With a long 3/4" dia. 4-flute end mill, I set the end to z-zero on top of the part. Then I raised the knee so it would be .260 from centerline. Then I made several .050" deep passes back and forth at 650 RPM, until all the bulk material was removed!

Then I changed tool to a long .500 dia 2-flute end mill, and set z-zero again. Now I should have left .010" of material on all surfaces, so I'll take a few slow, light cuts to clean up and bring the part to print dimension.

Now the corner fillet near the t-slot end is 90 deg. off the t-slot face, but this last opp. left it at 6.9 deg. So I clamped the part back on the steel block, and carefully blended in the little fillet radius. Next I need to flip the part and repeat the last two ops., then I can start on the line of holes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4632.JPG   100_4633.JPG   100_4634.JPG   100_4635.JPG  

100_4636.JPG   100_4637.JPG   100_4638.JPG   100_4639.jpg  

100_4640.JPG   100_4641.JPG   100_4642.JPG   100_4643.JPG  

100_4644.jpg   100_4645.jpg   100_4646.JPG   100_4647.JPG  

100_4648.jpg   100_4649.JPG   z-axis_slide_assembly.JPG  

After lunch, I drilled & bored all the holes! The part is much lighter now!

Enough for one day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4650.JPG  

That's a beautiful piece What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hdale85 View Post
    That's a beautiful piece What is it?
    Thanks,
    This part will attach to the primary Z-axis slide block, which will contain the linear ball bushings and rails. This part is designed to travel a full 9" up and down, and provide a mounting surface for the spindle motor of choice!
    Eric

9" of travel is pretty awesome.

Page 3 of 5 12345