587,168 active members*
3,225 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

V2XT startup issue

Hi All,
    I have a V2XT which I am beginning to get functioning again. I CAN get to the BOSS XT screen, where it says "loading operator interface", then it goes into a "machine check screen" which eventually says "Failed". Next thing it does, "Executive Loading", but fails indicating "error code -1". Don't know what that means.
    Checked so far: Power supplies OK on FMDC, SAFL. Don't know what or where a RSRS board is. Before all this the monitor displayed only raster, and found the 5V logic supply dead on the monitor, fixed with ext 5V supply. Confirmed Overload relay not tripped. Air pressure present during power up.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    bryan

The fail may be occuring because the FMDC is not loading. The SAFL monitors the machine but cannot communicate to the system because it does this through the FMDC which is not loaded. The LEDs on the FMDC may be indicating a state of being ready for the executive load but a failure in the communications can be anywhere in the chain. Is the WD286 trying to load? Is the FMDC receiving? etc.

George

V2XT Error -1

George,
    I fully agree. To date, with some probing, it looks like the RSRS board may be at fault, but I don't have a board pinout to be sure. I can see some 232 activity on a resistor on the board, but not much more after that. If I knew the I/O connector pinouts, I could scope it out and be sure. I was able to find info on the 286 WD motherboard (WD286-WDM20) but no pinout info on the serial ports J19 and J20. Are they doing a loop using both serial ports? Anybody know why they are using both serial ports? Is one for the external loop on the outside box? I can try to get a pinout on the IC, but a board level schematic would certainally more useful. I would hate to create more problems from shorting adjacent pins during probing. 1 step forward with 3 backwards is not a good way to go.
    Anybody got any info on the RSRS board?
    Thanks to anyone who can help!
    bryan

Attached is the com port pin out.

Lets try this a more reliable way.
    There are two com port, 1 and 2, also called J9 and J8. Yes, in that order.
    Pin 1 is data carrier detect
    pin 2 is receive data
    pin 3 is transmit data
    pin 4 is data terminal ready
    pin 5 is signal ground reference
    pin 6 is data set ready
    pin 7 is request to send
    pin 8 is clear to send
    pin 9 is ring indicate
    NOTE: the onboard serial ports, Com 1 and Com 2, will be automatically disabled if external devices are found by the POST at the same I/O address. In addition, for those external devices which cannot be recognized by the POST, the onboard serial ports can be disabled via setup options.

George

Got it. My ports are labelled J19, J20 on my motherboard, a WD286-WDM20 (can be found with a Google search). I see some transmit activity on J19, no receive... On J20, I see receive when the Fault is displayed on screen, but no transmit activity. What would be a great help is a connector layout for the FMDC board (and/or the RSRS board). This way I can see which pin is expecting send /receive. I haven't figured out how the SAFL board communicates with the FMDC board, even though I have a connector layout for it (section 5-10). This sure isn't easy probing around, you have to come up with custom connectors to take a peak at signals.....Once again I express my deep appreciation on those who can reply to help out. Without you, I would be staring at a very large boat anchor. Thanks in advance, bryan

SAFL monitors the machine. Creates a data signal to the FMDC. It of course needs to have the executive loaded to receive and digest the signal. FMDC sends a signal to the WD286 and tells it what to display on the CRT. WD286 is for manipulation of program files, interface to outside world and the control. FMDC has the Motorolla 68000 processor and actually runs the machine.

George

Taking measurements on the motherboard and FMDC, it looks like the signals (send/receive) going from the motherboard and the FMDC are ok. I checked K20 on the SAFL board, and didn't see any activity. I have a connector layout, it only shows K20, not any pin identification.
    Anyone have pin functions for K20 on the SAFL board?
    thanks in advance,
    bryan

With lots of luck, I may be in the office on Monday. If so I will try and scan the schematic of the SALF board.

george

V2XT startup issue

Hi George,
    Enjoy Not having to do this task. I putchased the machine maintenance manual for it and should be able to track this problem to the source. Hopefully I should have it in hand mid next week. Thanks for all your help thus far,
    bryan

How did you ever make out with this? We have the exact same problem, I started a new thread for it before finding this one.........

Well, I didn't

Get much further. I had to do some work outside the shop and won't be able to spend much time on it until the end of summer. From my take on the problem, it looked like the SAFL board wasn't initating communication to the FMDC board during startup. I did check point to point wiring and seemed ok, then I was planning to go board level debug to figure out what else could be the problem, when I needed to break from it and refill the bank tank... Hope that helps..