587,642 active members*
3,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > IT software programmer to CNC programmer: Suggestions/views please

Hybrid View

No chance. You'll crash the machines.

You'll be able to 'program' the machines, that's easy, but you won't know the machining processes. You need to learn how to cut metal: CAM software makes it quicker, but it doesn't do the work for you. Crashing a computer is a inconvenience - crash a CNC machine, and it can be spectacularly expensive.

Find a local tech college and learn about hand-on machining of lathes and mills and you'll be able to start, but it's an endless process. I've been programming CNC for 12 years now, and I'm still learning new techniques for cutting metal. You need to learn the skills.

Quote Originally Posted by inflateable View Post
    No chance. You'll crash the machines.

You'll be able to 'program' the machines, that's easy, but you won't know the machining processes. You need to learn how to cut metal: CAM software makes it quicker, but it doesn't do the work for you. Crashing a computer is a inconvenience - crash a CNC machine, and it can be spectacularly expensive.

Find a local tech college and learn about hand-on machining of lathes and mills and you'll be able to start, but it's an endless process. I've been programming CNC for 12 years now, and I'm still learning new techniques for cutting metal. You need to learn the skills.
    I agree, CNC is just a tool. You need a feel for the process, only then the numbers and jargon will make real-world sense to you.