587,180 active members*
5,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EZ-Trak SX -- two questions

I am rebuilding an SX and have contacted EMI about upgrading to a DOM (rather than booting off the floppy) with Ez-Trak V6.0. EMI says it is possible my motherboard will not work with the DOM. Is there anyway to tell if my motherboard is compatible with the DOM?

The ball screws on the machine need help. I received a quote from Ball Screw Express for lapping them but they said to price new as sometimes on popular machines like a Bridgeport it is cheaper to replace than repair. EMI is having a hard time getting a price for something that will fit the SX. The tech said some of the early nut brackets would only accept certain nuts and there was no way to tell what bracket it has (does not make sense to me). Are there any other sources for these ground screws?

Thanks in advance for any information.

I usually limit original mother boards and original BMDC SX machines to no higher than ver 3.02. As EMI said, there are a lot of variables but going higher/newer has a high probability of not working.
    It is not the X axis that may be the problem but the Y axis. There were 2 versions of ball screws for the Y. One bolted to the nut block from the rear, the other from the front. They are not interchangeable. Look before ordering. Try Hardinge.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the reply George. If the DOM had 3.02 would it work or are there two potential issues; Software version too new and motherboard not talking to the DOM?

I will check with Hardinge on the screws.

Thanks again.

The DOM is supposed to imitate a hard drive. With a old mother board, it gets plugged into the input/output board that is plugged into a ISA slot.
    CMOS must be set correctly for it (heads, cylinders, sectors, etc) and it should work.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)