588,191 active members*
4,980 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    I happened on this post a bit late, but I'm surprised nobody has built an ATC similar to the Haas design. I suspect the issue is availability of a suitable taper. If you've got a machine with a classic "CNC" taper, it already has a changer.

But consider that even R8's would work. Forget the repeatability aspect and use a tool touchsetter for tool heights and either R8 collet chucks or end mill holders. Ideally you might want to machine these holds with a slot for spring loaded clamps like those shown on Ken Shea's Haas, but even that might not be necessary with a "drop in" design. There, the tool would sit in a well with a through hole large enough for the cutter (and made of something harmless to cutters like plastic) and tapered to keep the holder upright. Using an R8 also eliminates the need to worry about indexing the spindle to line up with the taper dogs.

The v-groove rail that carries the changer is vintage work for the folks on this board--just like a router's Z-axis. Super precision is probably not needed if there is enough give in the clamping sytem--just get the narrow part of the R8 shank into the bore and let it self-align with the taper on the end. That means even an air cylinder might be adequate to bring the changer in and out of position on its rail, another simplification.

That just leaves indexing the proper tools into position. Here I would simply use a stepper and Gecko or other drive. Direct drive ought to be fine, or you could use a belt, whatever is simpler and can manage the weight of a loaded changer.

Mount the whole thing to the mill column and you'd be in business.

Cheers,

BW

Quote Originally Posted by pstockley View Post
    I like the rack of tools or carousel mounted on the table as it is simple. However, it is really only suited to bridge type mills. I have seen one on a conventional style mill but I don't like the idea of the long traverse required to pick up the tools. Also I am not too keen on all the tools zipping backwards and forwards. Plus you need some shielding with an automated door to stop coolant and chips getting on the tool holder tapers.

Karl, yes I have seen this and it is very ingenious but I feel overly complicated by the virtue of being totally mechanically actuated. The builder on his forum stated that it couldn't really be scaled up due to the weight of the tool holders. He also estimated it cost around $10,000 to develop because of the injection moulded parts!
    Deleted.....found his name

Page 2 of 2 12