587,888 active members*
3,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Build Inexpensive CNC with decent tolerances-Share your input

Hybrid View

the web cam fire issue would be settled if I am correct by having a remote methode of fire suppression and cut off switch. then as a back up some one on premise that can be called and alerted to the issue, the final part was my idea of being able to know what is going on so I do not have to wait to have a call about something. I could anticipate issues and have solutions as soon as they are needed. I also have an interest in building a robot for maintaining things. somehting on wheels that can roll around the shop and carry out pre determined functions or be taken over remotely to do tasks that have not been prepared

Cheap cnc builds are around. Several have been made. I doubt that many of those would mill aluminum very well though. Store bought materials generally have to have some play in them in order to reduce friction. This play is a killer of accuracy and rigidity. The more money you throw into it, the tighter and stronger it can be with proper design.

I just paid $59 shipping included for a laser printer. Includes toner. It is effectively a cnc machine. It won't mill anything though. It does what it does by not having any cutting stresses. Often overlooked on a small budget build.

I do use Turbocad pro, but I wouldn't recommend it unless someone has lots of time to learn it. The 2D portion isn't bad, but if you need to know the 3D and then do renderings, it escalates in the time needed to be able to use. I do like it, but it is not without it's own huge personal investment of time or learning curve.

I have fire suppressor on my mill. It's called coolant.
    The oddest thing I have seen though is running end mills too fast and seeing them glow bright red all the while being doused in a pretty good coolant stream. Kinda defying the laws of nature a little. More akin to lava dumping into an ocean though. It is still red hot inside for quite some time afterward.

Lot of good advice from the guys here. I too would be interested in seeing what you are talking about.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by morphious69 View Post
    the web cam fire issue would be settled if I am correct by having a remote methode of fire suppression and cut off switch. then as a back up some one on premise that can be called and alerted to the issue,
    this would be a good method for a company but if I had my router light a fire in my hobby workshop then my fire suppression is a fire extinguisher , a water hose , and the last resort will be the soft grass that i will plant my knees into while I pray it doesn't take the house with it
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........