587,957 active members*
3,741 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry DNC to Fanuc 0iMB Problems

I have problems Sending programs from PC serial DB9 to DB25 Fanuc 0iMB. Although all parameters are the same, Alarm 087 Buffer overload keeps as the problem. I tried a very short program and now communication problem appears. Cable has been checked with multimeter and seems find. Any suggestions. I would also like solutions to send from PC USB to Serial DB25. if possible.
    Thanks in advance.

memory full

Is there room in the memory for the new Program? also the Fifo buffer on the PC needs to be turned off or slowed down on some Machines as far as the usb to ser. you need to get a usb to rs232 adapter look around on Ebay

Alarm 087 occurs when the PC sends more than 10 characters after the control tells it to stop. What kind of handshaking are you using, hardware (RTS/CTS) or software (XON/XOFF)? If your PC software is set up for hardware and the cable is not, you can have this problem. Also, you can try going into Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - Ports, and set the FIFO Buffers off.

I've had handshake problems with USB to serial adapters in the past, so I tend to lean towards PCMCIA to serial adapters instead.

Those controls can sometimes be a little painful to get working. First thing is make sure you can get a program out of the control first. Rename the O number and send it right back in and see what happens.

Buffer Overflow on those controls usually means the data is coming into the control too fast, even if you are sending at 4800 baud or slower. They also sometimes need special characters leading the program, or sometimes it may have too many, like too many nulls in the file. It's an art dialing in those things.

Again, pull a program out of the control and send it back in. This will prove out program format, which needs to be just right.

What about the Edit Lock key? Is the Edit panel enabled?

for 2 years I had buffer overflow problems

I finally found a cure. I ran the NCnet dnc software which has block size control. I set the block size to only 10 characters.
    I have fanuc Om which always ran fine but my fanuc 10m had very frustrating intermittent buffer overload. I am pretty pc-cnc-dnc savvy but had no answer till now. I am running a 10 meg program now working great!
    I think it might tie in with the post saying the buffer overflow occurs when 10 characters more than recieved are sent. I am trying the trial version for 30 days now but might have to get the 198.00 prog eventually. I tried many other dnc progs. I tried hundreds of times to overcome this. I would like to hear if there is another dnc prog with block size control. After reading this thread I may also try that "set pc-FIFO buffers off.
    Happy new year!

Quote Originally Posted by BuiltMachine View Post
    I finally found a cure. I ran the NCnet dnc software which has block size control. I set the block size to only 10 characters.
    I have fanuc Om which always ran fine but my fanuc 10m had very frustrating intermittent buffer overload. I am pretty pc-cnc-dnc savvy but had no answer till now. I am running a 10 meg program now working great!
    I think it might tie in with the post saying the buffer overflow occurs when 10 characters more than recieved are sent. I am trying the trial version for 30 days now but might have to get the 198.00 prog eventually. I tried many other dnc progs. I tried hundreds of times to overcome this. I would like to hear if there is another dnc prog with block size control. After reading this thread I may also try that "set pc-FIFO buffers off.
    Happy new year!
    The FIFO buffers definitely needs to be disabled. That could be your problem all along. Predator Software has functionality to deal with the transmission rates of the data. It can put a slight delay in at each line or even each character. It's all configurable, so you can find the number that works best for you.

Call Shop Floor Automations at 619-461-4000. They can help you with that.

The best way to learn is trial error.