587,092 active members*
3,651 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234
    hi thanks for the input every one and ouch about the fingers :O.

im now looking at getting a heater like this not this exact one tho

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...rkshop-heaters

should heat things up .

ummmm im still sure its the cold weather acting on the machine itself i realy must get a temp gauge and see what its like in there.

and that battery warmer looks good thing is i do have a few other machines i want to keep warm but that is a good idea tho.

Space heaters are very good at warming things up quickly but are rather noisy and produce moisture plus you have the danger of igniting wood dust if not careful.

This one would be more than enough if you have decided on a space heater http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...d-space-heater

I heated a workshop (about 20’ by 30’)with one like in your link and it was still more than I needed.

John

that is mad you know what that is the one i was gonna get i just linked to that last one as i couldent find it again hehe.

well ive used these befor and they work well fast thats why i want one i dont want to be waiting around for days for me workshop to warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanandhistoy View Post
    Now if only you had set the guards up properly it would never have happened.
    Narr guards are for p ussy's. . . us yorky's are tuff we just love the pain. .Lol

I do remember seeing the guards wounce upon a time?. . . . . i think it was in a picture!!

Quote Originally Posted by hemsworthlad View Post
    Narr guards are for p ussy's. . . us yorky's are tuff we just love the pain. .Lol

I do remember seeing the guards wounce upon a time?. . . . . i think it was in a picture!!
    I’m a Yorkshire man to, born and bred

Hi Stk,

I'm fellin it here in yorkshire with ya mate, My workshop was -3 yesterday.

I wrap my machines over night with big fleacey removal blankets when it,s really cold, it helps a little to keep the cold and damp air of the machine.

You really need to heat the garage for a good few hours before workin or using machine/s, a good elecy fan heater pointed straight at machine will help speed things up a little but still needs a few hours before things loosen up nice.
    A word of caution when working in really cold workshops, speaking from experience now with losing part of my finger end on a surface planer.

NEVER OPERATE freezing cold machines, they become both sticky and slippy and bite. . . . . The only plus when this happens is that your hands are so numb that you dont feel the pain for 10 mins or so. . Lol
    Yup my workshop in Barnsley is damn freezing and my stainless rods are going a bit rusty - will need to sort out - It's a garage with a roof void which is a small wind tunnel.Keep meaning to actually do the tweaking so I can get my machine earning some money.
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk

Currently I have a woodburning stove installed.....I've decided to fit gas central heating though as it's a chore feeding the fire
    Keith

Good grief these Limey's wimp out at -3; you should try moving to Canada and learn to cope at -30.

But I will be honest and admit I tend to wimp out a bit and have a big radiant heater hung above where I stand in front of my machines; nice and toasty warm, fortunately electricity is cheap here in BC. I also have a 40,000 btu per hour pellet stove and my home shop is fully insulated. I guess I am real wimp when it comes down to it.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

If that's -3C, they really are wimps.

Geof, my inlaws live a ways north of you where it's -40. I only visit there in June.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I know this weather sux. It's +54.5f here in Baton Rouge and I'm just freezing. Oh who am I kidding, it's nice

Yep -3 C.

But I will commiserate a little bit because when you are not used to it, it can be a pain. I was over in Germany where it was down to -13 C and the riverboat I was on was having to break ice on the river. Then I flew home via Heathrow and the entire Midlands of the UK was a sheet of solid white
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Portage, Indiana Blizzard of 1984 -50F with wind chill factor -80F not to mention 12 to 18 foot snow drifts. I was 13.

The only good part was school was closed for a week!!!

BTW: I find that 50% of my friends want to refrigerate themselves while the other 50% wants to cook themselves.

What is the deal with that??
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    wind chill factor -80F
    where I grew up (northern Ontario) I got caught out in in that cold while on an ice fishing trip in the woods , but it was -65C without the wind chill , would have been fine if the log cabin that we stayed at didnt have the mice steal all the insulation out of the cracks between the logs , got so cold that the skidoo engines wouldn't even turn over , once we got mobile the windchill was so extreme that I had to stop every 5 minutes to literally thaw the lumps in my frozen cheeks .
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    where I grew up (northern Ontario) I got caught out in in that cold while on an ice fishing trip in the woods , but it was -65C without the wind chill , would have been fine if the log cabin that we stayed at didnt have the mice steal all the insulation out of the cracks between the logs , got so cold that the skidoo engines wouldn't even turn over , once we got mobile the windchill was so extreme that I had to stop every 5 minutes to literally thaw the lumps in my frozen cheeks .
    Now that is one cold ride!!! Did you get any frostbite??
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    Now that is one cold ride!!! Did you get any frostbite??
    oh ya but nothing too major , luckily didn't lose any chunks out of my face , the funny thing is I was dressed for any kind of weather but there was air getting thru where the shield on the helmet flipped down so i had scab lines because of the freezing from one ear down my cheek to my chin then back up the other side

its crazy there , it was often enough that with the windchill from fasts speeds plus the air draw from the carbs on the skidoo's , the carbs would freeze and kill the engine , old trick is to pee on the carbs to thaw em out

sometimes I miss the excitement
    +3C is cold here in BC (depending on were you live )
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    Bloooody hell now that is cold, makes my -3 workshop tropical then. .

Coldest I've ever experienced was -61 windchill while snowboarding in switzerland and that hurt Sooo much, cant imagine living and working in the temps you get. . . Big respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakkn View Post
    Yup my workshop in Barnsley is damn freezing and my stainless rods are going a bit rusty - will need to sort out - It's a garage with a roof void which is a small wind tunnel.Keep meaning to actually do the tweaking so I can get my machine earning some money.
    My rod's been rusty for a while, I need to get out more. .

When my machine is finished(1st of never at this rate) my daughter wants me to make a guitar for her so you may just hear from me mate. I,m only in Hemsworth if you hadn't worked it out from my name.
    Do you sell guitar parts etc or just complete guitars.?

Cool

Hi Hemsworth (I worked out where you are )

I do indeed supply parts for mking guitars - get lots of second hand bits too.
    I also can supply the wood for you to make your own eg nice pieces of maple or mahoganny etc. Only have a small stock of it but it's available.

Keep in touch - and if you can drop in for a chat or come see the band playing
    I am the guy in the hat http://www.planbrockband.co.uk - We are playing at The Boot & Shoe in Ackworth soon (Not far from you I guess)

Regards

Tony
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk

Hi Tony,

Thats good news on bits and i,m sure you will see me soon.
    I know the Boot n shoe very well I spent a lot of my youth staggering back from there.!!
    Does Les thompson still run it.? Not been for a few years, like i say need to get out more. .Lol

I will send you a PM with my number etc and get some details about were you are.

Cheers
    Dean.

My rod's been rusty for a while, I need to get out more. .

When my machine is finished(1st of never at this rate) my daughter wants me to make a guitar for her so you may just hear from me mate. I,m only in Hemsworth if you hadn't worked it out from my name.
    Do you sell guitar parts etc or just complete guitars.?
    Next time you're round I'll get my daughters guitar hooked up (It's pink Acrylic so real men only ) and we'll make some noise

I gave a Hamster a heart attack the last time I played :lol:
    Keith

Page 2 of 4 1234