587,173 active members*
4,009 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Videos > CNC SMT Pick and Place Mod Video

CNC SMT Pick and Place Mod Video

I build a software and system to attach to a CNC machine for placing SMT components on a product I am manufacturing. The project involves a GUI that runs on Mac or PC, which sends commands via USB to a Parallax Propeller processor board which drivers 3 steppers and a vacuum.

Thought some might enjoy. Hope you like it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW0z5Hct3xU"]YouTube- CNC SMT Pick and Place mod[/ame]

Best viewed in HD mode.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails partplacer pic new.jpg   servo sysringe.jpg  

Noisy little bugger!

Nice work. I assume the camera is only for fun, not used by the software to recognize fiducials or anything? I would like to make something like this eventually. I think I would make some code to turn a pcb component file into gcode and run the machine with mach.

Also you might look for a "vacuum ejector" made by SMC on ebay. They generate a vacuum through a venturi using compressed air. Much less annoying than the vacuum pump running.

Matt

Does anyone know of any alternative software packages for pick and place?
    I would love to use the pick and place data directly from Protel, or to have a teach function for setting up board loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
    Does anyone know of any alternative software packages for pick and place?
    I would love to use the pick and place data directly from Protel, or to have a teach function for setting up board loading.
    The easiest to get working is probably mach3 for machine control. But you still need to have something to convert your pick and place data to gcode. I think any way you go, you will have to either spend some serious money on software, or make some of your own.

Matt

I haven't yet delved into the extents of what the Mach3 can be configured for, however it is something I'II be looking closely at. But if there is dedicated software for pick and place, it's likely to have more thought put into it than the effort I would initially put into a Mach3 version... and take a lot less time to setup!

what is software control machine?

thanks

would you please post some details about "Z" axis ? It has some kind of suspension ?

Regards,
    Daniel

Do you manage machines via the LPT port or USB port, whether this your program to be somewhere for download

Do you manage machines via the LPT port or USB port, whether this your program to be somewhere for download