587,880 active members*
3,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > $1500 for way cover gaskets?

$1500 for way cover gaskets?

I've got a 1998 VF4 that needs to have the X axis way cover gaskets replaced. I called Haas and they sent me some new material but its much too large and simply won't fit. The portion that gets hammered into the malleable section is far too thick, it measures over .2 and should be about half that. I called them to ask if I could get ahold of the older style gasket material but they were no help at all. Their solution was to sell me two complete X axis cover assemblies at $770 for each side(after core deposit). Does anyone know where I can find the older stuff? Has anyone with this vintage a machine replaced the rubber bits recently? Do I REALLY have to spend $1500 on covers instead of $100 on rubber?!? Please help.

Try here:
    http://www.gortite.com/index.html

I think you can get new rubber and protective stainless seal guards for very little money. Great place to deal with, at least I'm pretty sure that is who I contacted a few years ago for my VF3 when I was overhauling it.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Found a vendor

Hello,

I found a vendor from Rockford, Illinois. BUWW Inc. They had in stock a wiper that it is going to work. Today, I ordered over the phone. Nice people. At $135.00 per 9 meters plus shipping bits replacing the covers for $1500.00 (Haas style).

We just use silicone, there is no way i would ever pay that kind of money for a gasket.

I'm not sure what you ordered for the rubber wiper material but Haas has 2 part numbers for a VF-0 thru VF-4 part number 93-8500. The problem is that this will not work on the VF-4 X axis. You need to order a part number 93-8510 for the VF-4 X axis.

Way Cover Gaskets / Seals

Quote Originally Posted by mnflash View Post
    I'm not sure what you ordered for the rubber wiper material but Haas has 2 part numbers for a VF-0 thru VF-4 part number 93-8500. The problem is that this will not work on the VF-4 X axis. You need to order a part number 93-8510 for the VF-4 X axis.
    Great info to keep on hand. Thanks Flash!!:cheers:
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by anemachinebc View Post
    We just use silicone, there is no way i would ever pay that kind of money for a gasket.
    Your a monkey. Seals will be cheap once you figure out you need new ballscrews, bearings, a motor and linear guides.

Plenty of places to get the seals aftermarket.

The Haas " core charge " on non rebuilt / non rebuildable parts started round about September 09. For example if you buy a item for $ 600 , the "core charge" is another $ 600 . Haas calls this a 50 % discount when in reality it is a 100% penalty if I keep the parts. If parts are returned I must pay shipping to CA further raising my total cost of repair. ( When the parts are purchased I only have to pay shipping from the local dealer or major distribution warehouse. )

Using the way covers as a example, they must be purchased in a set. I'd rather keep the undamaged parts for future repairs rather than send them back, at my expense, so engineering can analyze them. A more sinister possibility is to keep used parts off the market. If Haas really wants the parts back, pay shipping, give me some sort of small % off the next parts sale and I'll gladly send the damaged parts.

The only way around this is to call Haas directly ( don't use the 1-800 number, it just loops you to the local Haas dealer ) and let them know when a new machine is purchased initial cost, capabilities and repair costs will be considered. If another maker offers better numbers they will get the sale, even if Haas is the brand currently on your shop floor. Perhaps they will offer some consideration if enough people state their case.

Play logic ( $ ) to them, yelling won't get it done.

Curiosity

Masher,
    As I work for Haas and do know the mountain of parts we have asked to be return are in fact being used to improve our products. I have seen it in engineering. However, I do not know much about the whole parts cost/core charge issue you have brought up. I would like to look into this a little further. Can you either call me, email me or post your machine serial number so that I can dig into this?

Wayne Reilly
    Applications Manager
    Haas Automation Inc.
    [email protected]
    direct 805-278-8560

Quote Originally Posted by Masher Mfg View Post
    The Haas " core charge " on non rebuilt / non rebuildable parts started round about September 09. For example if you buy a item for $ 600 , the "core charge" is another $ 600 . Haas calls this a 50 % discount when in reality it is a 100% penalty if I keep the parts. If parts are returned I must pay shipping to CA further raising my total cost of repair. ( When the parts are purchased I only have to pay shipping from the local dealer or major distribution warehouse. )

Using the way covers as a example, they must be purchased in a set. I'd rather keep the undamaged parts for future repairs rather than send them back, at my expense, so engineering can analyze them. A more sinister possibility is to keep used parts off the market. If Haas really wants the parts back, pay shipping, give me some sort of small % off the next parts sale and I'll gladly send the damaged parts.

The only way around this is to call Haas directly ( don't use the 1-800 number, it just loops you to the local Haas dealer ) and let them know when a new machine is purchased initial cost, capabilities and repair costs will be considered. If another maker offers better numbers they will get the sale, even if Haas is the brand currently on your shop floor. Perhaps they will offer some consideration if enough people state their case.

Play logic ( $ ) to them, yelling won't get it done.

Yes I am a bit upset with this as well. I just did some maintenance to our VF-2 and replaced the spindle encoder belt as well as a few other things. I was told that I need to return the old belt or I will be charged double the amount. I wanted to buy a spare to have on hand but without one to return I would be paying double the price. I declined. Also the old belt isn't broken just showing signs of age and could be used if the new one failed till another arrived. To me its a bit of a stretch returning seals and belt (user maintenance items). I can see it on rebuildable parts but a belt?? Come on... On a side note. The belt from Haas was a off the shelf 3M belt that I paid Haas $25 for (for a 2nd it would have been $50 more) and I found it online for $5.75 shipped. Haas lost $25 from me that I would have no issues paying if I wasn't going to be charge twice for it.

Core charge theft!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Apps View Post
    Masher,
    As I work for Haas and do know the mountain of parts we have asked to be return are in fact being used to improve our products. I have seen it in engineering. However, I do not know much about the whole parts cost/core charge issue you have brought up. I would like to look into this a little further. Can you either call me, email me or post your machine serial number so that I can dig into this?

Wayne Reilly
    Applications Manager
    Haas Automation Inc.
    [email protected]
    direct 805-278-8560
    Wayne ,
    I agree with what Masher is saying, as I too have had some discomfort with dealing with my HFO. (Twinsburg, Ohio). I ordered parts last year and did not have a any core charge. I had to order another identical part last month and at no time was I told, I had to return a core. The quoted price was $374.50.
    I swapped the part out, fixed the machine and tossed the old part into the trash.
    Now, 30 - 45 days later, I get invoiced for $749.00. When I called to question this, the answer I received is, " Well Haas has changed in the last couple of months and added new parts with core charges." Holy crap, Why did they not quote the price at $749.00 and tell me to return the old part, to get a $375.00 credit. I would like to get ahold of the BBB, and with the help of other complaints, put an end to the "Grand Larceny". This is no different than walking into someones private domain and taking (stealing) anything that has any value. Everyone needs to speak up and fight for their rights!!
    Go ahead everyone, don't be shy, It's only your hard earned dollars being stripped. Boy, I think I feel a little better now!:argue:
    Joe

Please call me. I would like to discuss this with you.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBwan View Post
    Wayne ,
    I agree with what Masher is saying, as I too have had some discomfort with dealing with my HFO. (Twinsburg, Ohio). I ordered parts last year and did not have a any core charge. I had to order another identical part last month and at no time was I told, I had to return a core. The quoted price was $374.50.
    I swapped the part out, fixed the machine and tossed the old part into the trash.
    Now, 30 - 45 days later, I get invoiced for $749.00. When I called to question this, the answer I received is, " Well Haas has changed in the last couple of months and added new parts with core charges." Holy crap, Why did they not quote the price at $749.00 and tell me to return the old part, to get a $375.00 credit. I would like to get ahold of the BBB, and with the help of other complaints, put an end to the "Grand Larceny". This is no different than walking into someones private domain and taking (stealing) anything that has any value. Everyone needs to speak up and fight for their rights!!
    Go ahead everyone, don't be shy, It's only your hard earned dollars being stripped. Boy, I think I feel a little better now!:argue:

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Your a monkey. Seals will be cheap once you figure out you need new ballscrews, bearings, a motor and linear guides.

Plenty of places to get the seals aftermarket.
    Let me tell you a little bit about silicone, its some of the greatest stuff ever invented. I use this stuff for header gaskets on 1200 hp race cars, dodge uses it for transmission pan gaskets, many, many car makers use it to hold in vital fluids, ect. All this stuff is doing is holding out chips/coolant with no pressure on it. I use silicone on race engines that cost way more than a HAAS mill costs. You are the monkey, since you would spend that kind of money for a rubber gasket that wouldnt seal as good as silicone anyway. If your so worried about using a rubber gasket, buy a roll of it and cut it out for that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Apps View Post
    Please call me. I would like to discuss this with you.
    Wayne,
    I'm not sure what there is to talk about. Write it here for everyone to see. Haas has obviously been smart enough to have a monopoly on their machines and replacment products. It is very difficult to get any kind of service parts or components repaired because "Haas" will not sell to after market suppliers. A good example of this is, I had a fan quit working on a Vecter Drive. $7000.00 for a new unit minus 50% core. I went online and had to find a completely different brand of axial fan. $21.00 and the next day, my machine is fixed & running. In fact it's been going strong for 2 years. My point is, "Why couldn't I just buy the fan from Haas without having to buy a complete Vecter Drive?" Monopolies and greed for money is the only thing I can come up with. We have 20+ Haas units and love the stability and productiveness from them. I stand 90% behind Haas machines. I just don't agree with (Haas') philosophies of doing "good business" practices. Sorry fella's for tapping in on this thread and getting off topic. I really do like their machines. As for me, change some practices? 100%!!
    Joe

Applications not Parts

As you know I work in Applications. I do not know much about the parts process. That is what I want to dig in to. I want to understand the issue in detail. I figured the best thing to do was to discuss it with you first.

As far as writing it here for everyone to see I thought I did when I said "I would like to look into this a little further" in another post. In order to do that I need more information.

If I can help solve some problem I will. I can not promise anything other than my word that I will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBwan View Post
    Wayne,
    I'm not sure what there is to talk about. Write it here for everyone to see. Haas has obviously been smart enough to have a monopoly on their machines and replacment products. It is very difficult to get any kind of service parts or components repaired because "Haas" will not sell to after market suppliers. A good example of this is, I had a fan quit working on a Vecter Drive. $7000.00 for a new unit minus 50% core. I went online and had to find a completely different brand of axial fan. $21.00 and the next day, my machine is fixed & running. In fact it's been going strong for 2 years. My point is, "Why couldn't I just buy the fan from Haas without having to buy a complete Vecter Drive?" Monopolies and greed for money is the only thing I can come up with. We have 20+ Haas units and love the stability and productiveness from them. I stand 90% behind Haas machines. I just don't agree with (Haas') philosophies of doing "good business" practices. Sorry fella's for tapping in on this thread and getting off topic. I really do like their machines. As for me, change some practices? 100%!!

Haas Apps, I have sent you a PM.

JoBwan , Haas not offering a cooling fan is acceptable. Haas must be sure field techs / machine owners are able to install a fan and not cause other problems. Racking out a entire unit is the safest way to accomplish this. There are many industries that don't sell internal parts so this is nothing new. I'm guessing product liability issues come into play here too. ( With a vector drive, capacitors retain a charge even with the power off. If someone touches the cap terminals they get hit with ~ 320 DC )

Those in the know will search for a suitable replacment fan, change it out and never think twice. Being able to do something like that makes a shop owner happy and builds job security for people like us.

Redemption!!

[QUOTE=

JoBwan , Haas not offering a cooling fan is acceptable. Haas must be sure field techs / machine owners are able to install a fan and not cause other problems. Racking out a entire unit is the safest way to accomplish this. There are many industries that don't sell internal parts so this is nothing new. I'm guessing product liability issues come into play here too. ( With a vector drive, capacitors retain a charge even with the power off. If someone touches the cap terminals they get hit with ~ 320 DC )

Those in the know will search for a suitable replacment fan, change it out and never think twice. Being able to do something like that makes a shop owner happy and builds job security for people like us.[/QUOTE]

Masher,

Point taken. This does make some sense to me! Thank you for your input.

Haas Apps,

I talked to our accounting dept. today and a credit was returned to us, for the cores that I spoke of earlier. Haas ended eating the core charge and I now know that I need to ask about cores for anything that is purchased from them. I feel that Haas has taken care of my complaint and all is well.!
    Joe

fans

93-0153a used to be the fan replacement kit for the vector drives not on the new ones though. not sure if they took it off the market its for the older vector drives with the 2 fans on top.
    REYTECH Machine Service Corp. CNC repair NY, NJ
    http://www.reytechmachine.com