587,833 active members*
3,219 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Duplicate entities are a problem in any cam software. When a tool path is being calculated, the software needs a clean chain to perform it's function. If you are new to an area and you drive up to an intersection that has two roads coming off it and the names of the streets are the same and all the houses in both streets are the same with the same street numbers, how do you know which one to go down. If autocad is outputting duplicate entities, then, in my eyes it is a problem with autocad, not bobcad.

CNC Dude,

Maybe BobCAD should have a function called, DELETE DUPLICATE ENTITIES. I do know that other software has such a function for the same reason as the pocketing problem people are experiencing. Just a thought. Maybe the cleanup and optimize function does this, not sure, but it may need to be addressed.

I used mastercam in industry from V3.1 through to V8 and had problems with duplicate entities all the way through, so it is not just a problem with BobCAD.

Dave
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Kookaburra
    If autocad is outputting duplicate entities, then, in my eyes it is a problem with autocad, not bobcad.
    I possibly worded that wrong. It doesn't create dupicate objects. If you happen to create duplicat objects on your own, it's gonna save whatever you created.
    It's not a problem, it works as intended. It's just that it's intended use is different than what it's being used for.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

AutoCAD is not exporting duplicate objects. The problem lies in Bobcad. I can export the dxf file and bring it into Rhino 3d and it is still a single object. I can import it into 3d Max as a single entity. Bobcad is the only cad package that imports the file and creates multiple entities not duplicate entities. I have no idea why bobcad does that. Just because Bobcad breaks the object into several entities I see no evidence that any of the entities are duplicate. If is more like when you vectorize text in Bobcad.

Also in AutoCAD you can use layers. So when I use the boundary command I am on another layer. After creating my boundaries, I freeze the boundary layer, and erase the original objects. Then thaw the boundary layer. This leaves me with only the single entity boundary text I have created. I then use the list command. This will give me a total entity count. So when I export out they are absolutely a single entity.

I don’t think the problem is in AutoCAD, because how would that explain the file that was done completely in Bobcad not working? Are you implying that just having AutoCAD on the same computer with bobcad will effect bobcad? Does Bobcad need a dedicated computer? Does any one else has problems with AutoCAD on the same computer as bobcad? I use other cad packages on the same computer, Bobcad is the only one that is having problems. AutoCAD does not seem to effect the other cad programs.

Also the comment that I am not using the boundary command as it was intended. What does that mean? Do you have inside information? Please don’t keep me waiting in the dark, do tell what is AutoCAD's intension for the Boundary command.

Let’s think…. Could it be to create a single boundary of an enclosed area, even if it is made up of several entities. What one does with the boundary after it has been created, I don’t think AutoDesk has placed any restrictions on that.

The command is used for many things, in fact it started with the bhatch command. The “b” is for boundary the “hatch” is for hatch, put them together its “bhatch”. I hope AutoCAD is using this as it was intended. The bhatch will create an internal boundary for an enclose area and create a fill pattern, very similar to pocketing. I would think the algorithm for hatching would be similar for pocketing. Perhaps Bobcad could find out the algorithm AutoCAD uses. Several programs have hatching routines that run flawlessly. Bobcad might want to check some of them out. I have also used the boundary command to quickly create an internal enclosed area, then from that boundary, make a region. From the region I can extract the mass property like center of gravity. Some times I even extract the area from the boundary. I am confused to why you believe that there is some limited intended purpose for this command. Please elaborate how making a single enclosed boundary from exploded text is not what the boundary command is intended for. Very odd thought.

Since I work in the design/drafting field, I have heard of people using the boundary command for many things. Its seems odd (and limited) that you think AutoCAD has some higher purpose, or designated intension for the boundary command. Very interesting.

We currently use solid cam. I was wondering is BOBCAM any good and does it perform better in a production environment?

I currently use BCC on an everyday basis. When I first started working with it almost a year ago, V22 was still brand new and buggy as hell. The company I work for is kinda cheap in this department and they got BCC for a 'deal', so it was what I had to use lol (didnt have much of a choice)

Over the last year or so, V22 has made leaps and bounds in the improvement area. I am completely satisfied with it and have no complaints at all. My previous experiences had been with MasterCAM mostly, and while BCC is no MasterCAM, it is definatelty worth the price.

I have customized all the posts that I use for the 30 some-odd machines we have, now BCC has most all posts readily available, and if you need one made they are very good with helping out (but I still recommend modifying your own post from a generic and sending it to them lol)

We use BCC on Hardinge VMC's, Brother D/TC's, a variety of Fanuc based turning centers and Swiss lathes.

Hope this was helpful

Thanks for your quick reply PinMan, it has been very helpful. Have you ever used solid works or solid cam? We are trying to compare the differences between the packages at the mo, to see if it's quicker with BOB CAM. At the moment I find it a lot quicker to program the machining centre's without the use of a cam package apart from when we have a complicated shapes and surfaces. Even when we have these complicated shapes, pocket geometries, etc I only use the cam package for that part of the product.
    We were shown a live demo of BOB CAM yesterday from America and it did look quite impressive and productive.

Regards,
    Justin Fuller

I have very limited experience with Solidworks and haven't used Solidcam.

ginamc,

I have looked at the file you posted. The Text.dwg file looks like it had some polyarcs or poly lines in it. Most of the time if you explode the chains into simple entities you can get a better import result.

With the text-bobcad-only file there needs to be some attention to the shapes. Almost all of the letters have self intersecting loops, zoom in close to a letter. This could be an artifact of the font you used, the style, the vectoriztion parameters or all of them combined. The old saying "garbage in/garbage out" comes to mind. This geometry is unsuitable for generating a toolpath. Which font were you using?

Regards

Thumbs up Bobcad ok but not great

I have worked with Bobcad V22--lathe, mill and wire for about 1-1/2yrs now.
    The software will handle text very well--creat it right in bobcad. V22 has lots of bugs and very unstable though.. It locks up or just shuts down automatically-cant seem to get any help from bobcad on this.
    Seems V22 has a worm virus on the BobCAd Disk also. Been trying to get a new one for a year--no results.

I like the BobWire best when i can get it to run.. What i mean is that the program just shuts down for no reason.. and i have a very nice computer set up memory and speed. No good support--all they want to do is sell V23upgrade and not fix what they sell.

Some of post in bobcad will wear your machines out with all the unnecessary up and down moves.. especially fadal mill post
    Hope this helps anyone thinking of bobcad v22

By the way how does the lower versions work?

Thinking of going to Gibbs.

ggate,

The "worm" that you are talking about, or that your virus software is identifying is the bobcadsupport tool. This tool creates a Virtual Network Connection with a computer in the BobCAD office. It isn't signed, so that is why your virus software is throwing an alarm. You can delete the file if you would like though, it is no longer in use at BobCAD.

If you can post some sepecifics on what is happening when the software "just shuts down", we can probably give you some advise on how to avoid it. Narrowing down when it is happening will help determine why it is happening.

If a post is setup incorrectly, it will cause a lot of wear and tear on the machine. The best thing to do is post a program, with the post set to output debug comments. Then you can identify where the extra moves are coming from and remove them from the post.

If you would like some help getting things squared away, please post some more information. There are lots of guys up here that can help get you going in the right direction.

Regards

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    ggate,

The "worm" that you are talking about, or that your virus software is identifying is the bobcadsupport tool. This tool creates a Virtual Network Connection with a computer in the BobCAD office. It isn't signed, so that is why your virus software is throwing an alarm. You can delete the file if you would like though, it is no longer in use at BobCAD.

If you can post some sepecifics on what is happening when the software "just shuts down", we can probably give you some advise on how to avoid it. Narrowing down when it is happening will help determine why it is happening.

If a post is setup incorrectly, it will cause a lot of wear and tear on the machine. The best thing to do is post a program, with the post set to output debug comments. Then you can identify where the extra moves are coming from and remove them from the post.

If you would like some help getting things squared away, please post some more information. There are lots of guys up here that can help get you going in the right direction.

Regards
    I new about the support tool --i allowed that
    No pun intended--but the virus bit defender picked up was some sort of worm
    and causes alot of ad pop ups that is on my disk.. Took us 2 weeks to find.
    The software worked pretty good..until i had a tech walk me through uninstalling an downloading V23-had a 5 day key.. but after reinstalling V22 dont no how many times..it will not work. i have cleaned,deleted. defraged--u name it.
    Here is my deal.. cant figure it out...
    IF u install Bobcad Fresh from download -latest updates--- open it up --works perfect....When u close program...open it back up --it opens--soon as u click on open file it shuts down...same with the save icon..very weird..
    I can install all other version and they work,--just V22--Piece of sh__.
    I have to reinstall if i want to even use it..
    any suggestion????????????

as far as the post- the one i used is the Format 1 fadal mill post..
    It works good unless u are setting up a rapid plane to clear work clamps..
    then u have to do alot of editing... It puts the rapid moves in the wrong places. It will do a can cycle with rapid set to .1 above part. The next line
    does the z rapid to say 2.0.. This gives a checksum error in my machine..
    But what i do is give a G80 to cancel the can cycle, then do the rapid move
    above clamps..lots of editing somtimes.. it post them i just have to reverse the order.. can this be fixed????

sample of how it post
    N1 G81 x2.0 y2.0 z-1.0 r.1 q.125 f2.--the r being .1 above part
    N2 G00 z2.0-----rapid 2.0 up
    N3 G80 Then it cancels--i have to reverse N2 and N3 -works perfect

OK, I PM'ed my email address to you. There should be no reason for them to have you uninstall the V22 to install V23, just so that you could use it for 5 days. Both systems will install and run at the same time.

Send me an email with your email address and phone number. Let me look into this and see what is going on.

Regards

Red face Bobcam Help BOSS 8 Post Processor

Help I am going around in circles, I am having a problem pocketing, does anyone have the Setup file for a boss 8 using Bobcad 21? I need the configuration file, right now I am able to do basic drilling and text carving, however pocketing is driving me nuts. I would appreciate any help at. all do I need to add G172 to the code or will BobCad take care of it?.

Boss8 post

Hi Frog,
    I had a Boss8 that I sold not long ago. I used this post and these scripts with bobcad 21.

As for pocketing, Bobcad will output the coordinates so there is no need for the pocketing g-codes.

I haven't posted for the boss in a while but if you have any more Q's I will try to help.

Eric
    Attached Files Attached Files

How is the latest BobCam software protected? Does it use a USB Dongle or Software Key?

Quote Originally Posted by JB Laser Tech View Post
    How is the latest BobCam software protected? Does it use a USB Dongle or Software Key?
    BobCAD v23 is a USB Dongle, the new SolidWorks BobCAM plugin is a software key.

Is the OneCNC a better software to go with? What's the price range?

Thanks
    John Barnes
    [email protected]

Page 3 of 3 123