I've been using my Taig with EMC2 and it works very nicely. My controller is different, but it was pretty easy to setup using stepconf and some experimentation. You need to set backlash compensation manually in the .ini configuration file.

A friend who also has a Taig and uses Mach3 was visiting quickly this weekend and I showed him around EMC2. He was impressed with the 3D toolpath view that EMC2 with Axis gives you.

The only Mach3 feature that I miss on EMC is being able to jog using keyboard controls at different speeds. In Mach3 you can rapid jog using shift-arrows, or slow jog just using the arrows. In EMC2 you need to adjust the jog rate slider to change this.

One downside to using EMC is that I haven't found good CAM software for Linux. I do my CAM work on a Windows laptop, then copy the gCode file to a file server and read it from there on my EMC2 machine. Using two machines is beneficial even when running Mach3 because it leaves the machine running the controller to concentrate on that one role. The computer that runs the controller doesn't need to be anything fancy or expensive...you can probably find a suitable one for free or very cheap. I'm using a ~6 year old Pentium 4 with a 30gb hard disk and 1gb of ram for EMC2.

I think you'll enjoy your Taig. I've only had one a little more than a week, but I'm enjoying it so far and learning a lot.