587,275 active members*
3,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sherline 2000, need Mach 3 XML....

Sherline 2000, need Mach 3 XML....

Hey There,

I acquired a lightly used Sherline 2000 that was running the software that came with it. It runs under Linux operating system and I just don't care for it. I obtained a copy of Mach 3, and it looks amazing. Problem is, I don't have the XML for this Sherline machine. Can anybody help?

Is there anything else I need to get it running?

What about upgrading it? A controllable spindle on and off would be great.

Thanks very much,
    Jim

You would need a way of counting the revs and reporting them to mach. I used a Homanns design board to do the interface. Then you can do threading too. Mine works well though I not very patient with the sherline. Do you have Mach turn? Should be just matter of inputting the info. I would think the info in your linux regarding setup ports and pins and step and direction would all be directly transferable but I know nothing about linux.

Sherline XML

Hey There,

I am looking for Sherline 2000 CNC MILL XMLs. Sorry I should have made that clearer. Thanks for your reply.

Always,
    Jim

Is there a separate XML file for the 2000? It has the same travels as a standard 5400 Sherline...

I've just looked through my old Mach folder, and I don't see any separate file.

If I had one, I dumped it with Windows on my mill computer, when I formatted it and switched to Ubuntu Linux and EMC a year ago.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/vlmarshall

Talking Sherline 2000---5400 XML

Hey There,

Its the same basic unit, just more adjustable around the column.

Maybe someone has this XML file????

Thanks,
    Jim

Jim I have a Sherline Mill XML that i run with a hobby cnc controller. Not sure of where I got it but it works with my machine. It wouldnt let me attach it or I would have. Tell me how to forward it to you here or otherwise and I will get it to you. John

Sherline 2000---5400 XML

Hey Fastest1,

If you can e-mail [email protected]

Thanks very much for your assistance,
    Jim

It kicked your address back as no email address found. Is this highlighted address correct?

Sherline 2000---5400 XML

[email protected]

Sorry for the confusion...

Sent

Sherline 2000---5400 XML

Ok--I have a question now,

I open the software and the Emergency stop is activated and I can reset it.

I have everything plugged in, and the motors are ready and powered up.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Jim

[email protected]

Can you move the steppers? Do you know how? If you dont know how. First make sure your spindle is not in the way of hitting something. Turn off the power and position them manually and turn the power on if you dont know any other way. Now on the Mach MDI screen press "ref all home" all dro's will zero at this time. Now in the dialog box just to the right of the word"input" type in "G1 X1 F2" but dont use the quotation marks, press enter. At this time the machine should move in the positive direction 1" at feedrate of 2" per minute. The xml I gave you now that I think of it has been altered for my mill which has ballscrews and all kind of odd things. The distance yours travel will be incorrect but that is something to deal with as you move on with control. If you are running Sherlines leadscrews they are 1/4-20. They require 20 turns to travel 1 inch. Your stepper is probably set to 200 steps per revolution, so 4000 steps are required to travel 1 inch. My ballscrews are 3/8-5, they only needed 1000 steps for me. This is all adjustable you just have to figure out what you have. That MDI command I gave you will make your mill travel 1/4 as far until you change the steps per inch/or rev. It wouldnt hurt to measure how far it travels when the above commands are given. Hope this is what you meant when you asked for suggestions. John
    BTW Always be prepared with the emergency stop or esc key if you must but be prepared to stop it. Good Luck

Sherline 2000---5400 XML

Good to know about the ballscrew/lead screw calcualtion. I will have to reset it.

But the main issue is not being able to reset the Emergency Stop. I can not get anything to actually move because the E-Stop is activated. I hit the reset, and nothing happens. Its very odd.

I would be interested in buying the ball screw conversion, if there were some used ones around....or plans to construct them...

Thanks for your help....

Always,
    Jim

Probably set up for a physical E stop switch in Ports and Pins Menu? If active low isn't ticked, it won't come out of e-stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Anderson View Post
    Ok--I have a question now,

I open the software and the Emergency stop is activated and I can reset it.

[email protected]
    Can or cant reset it? I see 2 different statements. I betting you cant and I agree with Kawazuki on how to rectify it. Do the steppers lock up when all is powered up?

Sherline 2000---5400 XML

Hey Guys,

I am sorry--I can not reset the emergency stop.....I worked till 2:00 AM on a project that had to be out, so I have not had time to try your suggestions yet.

I am grateful for the help, and feel sure that The MACH software, once sorted will be much more useful that the EMC.

I will keep you posted...

Thanks,
    Jim

Sherline 2000---5400 XML

Hey Guys,

I went and tried to disable the E-stop in Port and Pins. I "X" it then apply and ok. I reopen it to check it and its check marked again....

Do I need to change the port of something? Or can I quickly add a switch some where to get by this issue. Having an E-stop would be handy, but I would like to get it running right now...

Thanks,
    Jim

This is how I am feeling with this software...(I am on the left) (nuts)http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/Kick.gif

After you check the box, press enter and at the bottom of the pull down box it says save changes. Otherwise it never accepts the change. Been there done that. Double check right after you close.

Btw this stuff is very frustrating to say the least. Rewarding when it works but you will have to work for it.