587,326 active members*
3,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 2003 6030 tool carousel issue

2003 6030 tool carousel issue

One of our 2003 6030 machines has had issues with the motor and gearbox that spins the carousel. The first time it did it, it made a grinding sound and would not rotate. We removed the motor and tore into the gearbox to find some munched up bearings. We replaced the bearings and all was good to go until now. Its starting to make the noise again and we are starting to consider purchasing a replacement. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to get one? Could there be an underlying cause making the motor and gearbox to wear out prematurely? It seems this always happens around this time of year when we are getting ready for Daytona.
    Thanks in advance guys.

If the is a dual arm style are you sure you have oil in it and is the oil the correct one? If so is anything out of line placing excessive force on the system?

Neal

Wow that was fast! It is the dual arm system and the oil is at the correct level and the color looks good. This is the motor and gearbox assembly that actually spins the carousel and it sounds terrible. Our local Fadal service provider said they had never had one go out. This one has twice. Maybe its just a gearbox that was not properly machined. I will probably have to replace the bearings again to limp along for the time being. Nothing appears out of line on the carousel itself.

In 23 years at Fadal, I've never heard of this problem. It sounds like your gearbox is gone and at this point I would recommend replacing it to see if the problem still exists.
    Need help with your Fadal? Send me a message or visit www.TheFadalParts.com. We have over 25 years of experience at Fadal and offer FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE!

We tore the gear box apart and there was indeed a bad bearing, again. This is the second time in a year this has happened. When investigating the issue, one of the guys here removed the big worm gear that has 2 tapered roller bearings in it. It was pretty hard to turn by hand. It was also interesting to see that the bearings have no seals. The are completely exposed. We are thinking that the bearings were preloaded to tight from the factory and caused to much load on the small bearing in the gearbox. So we are going to loosen the preload on the bearing and see if that helps the issue.

Same problem here

I have several Fadal's with the dual arm changer. This is the first problem I have had with any of them. It seems to be the motor,gear box & brake assy that drives the carousel. With the motor assy off I can turn the worm shaft by hand. It is smooth but takes some effort.

I will post here after it is fixed.

Ours turned smooth but it took alot of effort to rotate. We backed off the preload a little and reinstalled everything. Its working good now but only time will tell if that was the cause. We also used Mystic 0G-5 grease on the gear box. Its real tacky like the grease that was in the gearbox when we tore it apart the first time. Good luck.

Tool changer fixed

The problem with our tool changer was the control board 1330-0a. It has a row of ten transistors , one had blown.
    This would allow the turret to rotate CW but fault CCW. The board is original from 2000 and has been superseeded with PCB-0317.
    The new board now has 4 large relays that replace the 10 transitors.
    $2,108 and it works like new.

Im glad you figured it out, but that board is expensive. We just replaced the bearings and loosened up the preload on the large worm gear and she is good to go for now. I guess time will tell if the repair is permanent.