587,656 active members*
6,186 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Tooth profile for designing synchronous drive sprocket?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by blowlamp View Post
    In your second drawing there are a couple of corners (that look important) in the root of the tooth, that can't be taken out cleanly by normal endmilling because of the cutting tool radius. That probably leaves form tools or possibly laser cutting, although I'm not sure how suitable a laser-cut surface would be for running a belt on.
    Martin.
    The flat is a true flat, so a simple index on a rotary should cut it.

Still looking for a sprocket expert that can confirm the model as "true" or not. If true, no need any software as the models are available. I dont know enough about them to say if it is just a "toy model".

Anyone?

Beuller.....Beuller??????

MVHPV.

The reason I posted the file produced by CamBam is because I believe it will allow you to easily produce pulleys for use with timing belts that are commonly available.

If the CAD drawing was only intended to represent the basic form of the pulleys I was going to suggest that you don't go to too much trouble in getting an exact shape. Conversely, if the drawing were to be sent to a CAM system for manufacture, it would need to be accurate.

BurrMan

That would remove some but not all of the material in that area, a little would remain on each curved section near the root.

Martin.

That would remove some but not all of the material in that area, a little would remain on each curved section near the root.
    I am assuming that the sides come off of the assembly. A straight pass over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by blowlamp View Post
    The reason I posted the file produced by CamBam is because I believe it will allow you to easily produce pulleys for use with timing belts that are commonly available..
    The Poly Chain GT is available in over 29 different belt lengths spanning 4 different widths - that equates to 116 individual sizes. Bare-in-mind, that's counting only 8mm pitch. Doesn't seem too uncommon or unpopular to me. http://www.vbeltsupply.com/8mmpolychainseries9274.html

Also...

The Poly chain exhibits the highest efficiency of any currently available belt drive, short of roller chain. Crap!... now i'm beginning to sound like a salesman.

Question Blowlamp,

Does CamBam specify manufacture's profiles, or just one or two generics?

Quote Originally Posted by MVHPV View Post
    The Poly Chain GT is available in over 29 different belt lengths spanning 4 different widths - that equates to 116 individual sizes. Bare-in-mind, that's counting only 8mm pitch. Doesn't seem too uncommon or unpopular to me. http://www.vbeltsupply.com/8mmpolychainseries9274.html

Also...

The Poly chain exhibits the highest efficiency of any currently available belt drive, short of roller chain. Crap!... now i'm beginning to sound like a salesman.

Question Blowlamp,

Does CamBam specify manufacture's profiles, or just one or two generics?
    Well I never did doubt that there would be a selection of available products, but the fact remains that the The Poly Chain GT tooth profile is not as common and is going to be harder to machine than the HTD tooth form because of its shape.

I've just checked the CamBam documentation which says the pulleys are made to the HTD5 form. See here: http://www.cambam.co.uk/docs/tutorials/profile-new.html

This might be of some help See here: http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...ing_belts.html

Martin.