588,099 active members*
5,143 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is it possible to laser cut back painted acrylic?

Hello,

Have been working on a delicate project involving cutting 1/4 acrylic sheet
    with vinyl and VHB tape on the back...
    The laser seems to be burning the vinyl a little, possibly because of the slender width of the lettering, but I have to run the at the speed and power I have been in order to cut all the way through the material.

Just wondering if any knew if it was possible to paint one side of the acrylic and then laser cut it - to achieve a similar effect as the vinyl.

Maybe a water based latex paint? one coat, a light sanding and then a second coat was an idea I had.

Please let me know and thanks for reading,

-M

Quote Originally Posted by brooklyn_matt View Post
    Hello,

Have been working on a delicate project involving cutting 1/4 acrylic sheet
    with vinyl and VHB tape on the back...
    The laser seems to be burning the vinyl a little, possibly because of the slender width of the lettering, but I have to run the at the speed and power I have been in order to cut all the way through the material.

Just wondering if any knew if it was possible to paint one side of the acrylic and then laser cut it - to achieve a similar effect as the vinyl.

Maybe a water based latex paint? one coat, a light sanding and then a second coat was an idea I had.

Please let me know and thanks for reading,

-M
    Hello brooklyn_matt, I don't know what kinds of cutting effect do you want on the acrylic sheet. But we usually cut on the acrylic directly without paining. The following picture is a acrylic cutting that we have finished by using our laser cutting machine.

If your cutting is similar to ours, you can cutting on the acrylic directly.
    Hope the above information will be helpful to you.
    www.yorklaser.com
    [email protected]

Matt,

Use acrylic paint, it's cheap and available at any craft store. It of course adheres really well and the laser cuts it clean. Latex may work too, I just haven't tried it (not sure about the fumes).

Cutting most 'vinyl' is a bad idea as it's PVC, but you can get some Polyester 'vinyls' that do cut nicely.

Zax.

smartman - why you always put watermarks on images?

Quote Originally Posted by Litografa View Post
    smartman - why you always put watermarks on images?
    It is called advertising

With this watermark I can't put their images on my site and write that it was done on GCC laser :wee:

Quote Originally Posted by zax15uk View Post
    It is called advertising
    wow, to protect our sample picture not to used by the others arbitrary
    www.yorklaser.com
    [email protected]

With this watermark I can't put their images on my site and write that it was done on GCC laser :wee:
    Hi Litografa, I can send you another one without watermark if it is convenient for you to tell me your mail ID.
    www.yorklaser.com
    [email protected]

Hello, even it was just joke please send me to [email protected]

Picture with roses looks brilliant, not Chinese-style, really with good design taste
    Congratulations!

Hello, even it was just joke please send me to [email protected]

Picture with roses looks brilliant, not Chinese-style, really with good design taste
    Congratulations!
    Check your mail please, I have finished the sending.
    www.yorklaser.com
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by smartman View Post
    Check your mail please, I have finished the sending.
    Litografa - you are now committed to buying at least 3 of his systems

Congratulations!

Zax.

May be I can pay with unlimited beer when smartman will be in Lithuania

Did anyone else notice this "sample" picture on this website? Do they really expect us to believe that they did this with one of their lasers? Funny thing is, this site has the same phone number as smartman's York Laser site.

Makes me wonder about the engraved egg pictures. Where those "borrowed" from someone else also?

Just a coincidence I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3DFish_large.jpg  

SkipW - this is chinese way of business I am working with GCC since 1997, look on any ULS, Epilog, Trotec dealer - all of them are dealers for many years, we have established customer base, we do not promise unbelievable, we can say NO, NOT POSSIBLE, THIS EQUIPMENT IS NOT SIUTABLE FOR YOU.
    On opposite pole is chinese companies - impossible to find real manufacturer, company's not loyal to customers, their employees, trade marks, copyright's and etc. Most of them want built dealer network but offer better price for end users. I try to do business with China two years and cancel my tries one year ago. Want sleep quite They have only price in small $$$$$$$ and big promises which usually became soap bubbles for customers.
    So I am very pessimistic on many posts here like OUR EQUIPMENT CAN DO THIS AND THIS. Show me money, Jerry (C) "Jerry Maguire" - I love this movie

I fond that Litografa is a active member. I am very appreciated the way he help others when someone was in a question. But as advertising, it is normal. Many people in the forum post an advertisement directly or indirectly. So, easy,everybody, quality will prove everthing finally. Just take it as a way for us to get some information.