587,699 active members*
3,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Speed up 4th axis?

Not sure if I should post this here or at Sprutcam support?

I am doing some 4th axis work and sprutcam setups up the 4th axis to feed at the same rate as the x,y which means it barely moves and takes over a hour to do what should take 5 min. How can I speed up the 4th axis without editing every line of code? When X is set to cut at 7 A should be around 70 in order to be feeding near the same rate.

Tim

If both axis are moving at the same time they can't have different feedrates. i.e.
    G01 X2.0 F7 A10.0 F70 = NoGo. You'll get the warning, "Multiple F words on the same line"
    You could speed up the A axis Velocity under Motor tuning, I run mine (though a different style) at 6000 at times.
    Not too much, you'll run into missing steps.
    If the moves are on 2 lines, i.e.
    G01 X2.0 F7
    G01 A10.0
    the Replace All feature in Notepad can easily go thru and edit the entire program for you.
    Find What: G01 A10.0
    Replace With: G01 A10.0 F70
    Replace All.
    You may have to do the same for G01 X2.0 F7 if the F7 is dropped later in the program
    being modal.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Sprutcam does not assign a feedrate to each line or yes the replace would be a quick workaround.

As far as adjusting the motor setting I dont think I can do that without a unlocked Mach correct?

4th

I had this problem with 2007 went through and edited all the needed lines of code, but since changing to 7 and the new Tormach post file it works fine. Make sure you turn the radius compensation off too.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

I had the same problem when I first started using my 4th axis. There is a field on your Mach screen where you can set the diameter (or radius?) of the part you are working on. Changing this will speed things up significantly.

I'm not at my machine now but I think it's the Correction Radius field directly below the A axis readout on the Comp Screen.
    111011 101101 101001

I found it in the manual:

Correction Radius
    Rotary axes can have the approximate size of the work piece defined using the Rotational Diameter control family. This size is used when making blended feed rate calculations for coordinated motion including the 4th Axis. The LED indicates that a non-zero value is defined.
    111011 101101 101001

Thanks for all the help.

I am using sprut 7 and I made sure I have the latest post files but it still did the same thing.. Not sure where to check and make sure the radius compensation is off?

Anyways I tried the second idea of using the "correction radius" in mach and that worked perfectly.. thank you!!

It went from over a hour to under 10 minutes.