587,131 active members*
3,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry C10 Breakout Board Voltage Droping

Lost in space!

I recently purchased a Keling Package w/ the C10 B.O.B. included. Everything is wired up correctly per their drawings. I have the 5V power supply hooked up to the correct terminal on the board and hooked up to the EN (enable) next to it. When I hit the switch to turn the unit on, I see the voltage (from the 5V in - to the #2 pin) peak out around 5V and slowely drop to 1.5V within 15 seconds or so. I double checked all the wiring, hasn't smoked. None of the resistors show any slight sign of discoloration. Can anyone give me a hand and tell me why it would slowely drop like that?

Thanks,

Chris
    C. Pierce

(nuts)
    ....:withstupi

I think I may have found my own answer. Somehow when inspecting it for burnt items, I overlooked a cooked capacitor on the breakout board. Does anyone have any idea how this could happen? To much input power? I'm using the 5V 1000ma wall plug that was supplied with the kit.

Something else, does anyone know what all these jumpers should be set at for use with the Keling package? I know where the input/output for the pins should be set at, but what about the one for 5V or Ground, and Pull-Up/Pull-Down jumper?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    C. Pierce

I think they are labeled on the board according to how you have them setup.
    http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/popup_image.php?pID=45

I have a few C10 boards and haven't seen these type issues.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I think they are labeled on the board according to how you have them setup.
    http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/popup_image.php?pID=45

I have a few C10 boards and haven't seen these type issues.
    If you click on the link and open up the picture, it’s the capicitor at the top in the middle (brownish/orangish round thing next to the black rectangular box thing... sorry for the lingo, I'm no expert. All I know is electric HURTS when you touch it!) that is all black now and can smell it cooking when I plug it in. I think Radio Shack sells then (2) for $1.50. Will try to replace it, but wil be ordering a spare C10 today. I'd really like to know what would make it cook so I wont cook the next one.
    C. Pierce

I'm no sparktrician either. I would think over voltage could be a factor. What type supply do you use?
    Also sometimes parts just fail, no matter what they are. You might try to contact support at CNC4PC and see if they have any input or advice.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I'm no sparktrician either. I would think over voltage could be a factor. What type supply do you use?
    Also sometimes parts just fail, no matter what they are. You might try to contact support at CNC4PC and see if they have any input or advice.

I'm using the one supplied with the Keling package I purchased. I'm off to West Palm Beach tomorrow morning, so I'll shoot them an email tonight, but won't be able to get into fixing the problem until next week sometime.
    C. Pierce