587,593 active members*
3,961 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What Model Plasma Cutter Are You Using?

What model plasma cutter is everyone using with your CNC burn table and what is the rated thickness?

The reason i ask is below if you feel like reading it.

So last night I was burning out a "No Smoking" sign out of 1/8" Aluminum and the plasma cutter died on me mid way thru. It's a Hypertherm MAX-20 (I'm guessing from the early 80's because the manual is Rev-4 from 1989). The plasma will not fire anymore. I took the cover off the unit and got the trusty multimeter out and started checking things. I think i might have it narowed down to the inductor. With the unit "on" without activating the plasma trigger, I'm getting 1.5V. With the unit "on" and pressing the trigger to activate the plasma I'm still getting the low 1.5V. I plan on taking it to a Hypertherm service center, but im not even sure it's worth fixing. I'm looking into getting a new one (**on the cheaper side since i'm married with children!!).
    C. Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by CPierce18 View Post
    What model plasma cutter is everyone using with your CNC burn table and what is the rated thickness?

The reason i ask is below if you feel like reading it.

So last night I was burning out a "No Smoking" sign out of 1/8" Aluminum and the plasma cutter died on me mid way thru. It's a Hypertherm MAX-20 (I'm guessing from the early 80's because the manual is Rev-4 from 1989). The plasma will not fire anymore. I took the cover off the unit and got the trusty multimeter out and started checking things. I think i might have it narowed down to the inductor. With the unit "on" without activating the plasma trigger, I'm getting 1.5V. With the unit "on" and pressing the trigger to activate the plasma I'm still getting the low 1.5V. I plan on taking it to a Hypertherm service center, but im not even sure it's worth fixing. I'm looking into getting a new one (**on the cheaper side since i'm married with children!!).
    Would help if we knew more about how much you use your plasma & what material(s) & thickness you cut.

The new HT Powermax 45 seems to be getting great reviews. http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Product...powermax45.jsp

HT advertisements are conservative their machines will do everything they say & more.

This may not exactly fit into your definition of "Cheap" but if you do a good bit of cutting over a short period of time consumable savings should offset the cost.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

I'm using a no name 50A (Chinese amps?) Chinese one... Model No POS! Turns laptops off @ 15'

I've just about talked myself into a HT 45 as I've heard nothing bad.....Price is quite a heart stopper though
    Keith

I use a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 with my homebuilt CNC Plasma cutter
    It uses a machine torch and it can pierce a maximum of 12.7mm (1/2") thick material.
    I use it mainly on 1.5mm (16swg) Stainless steel with finecut consumables and it is almost laser quality

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm using a no name 50A (Chinese amps?) Chinese one... Model No POS! Turns laptops off @ 15'

I've just about talked myself into a HT 45 as I've heard nothing bad.....Price is quite a heart stopper though

It's one of those tools though that you'll pat yourself on the back for buying.

Everyont I know that owns HT, even my steel supplier with a mega buck hi definition loves them.

From all reports these entry level air plasma machines that most of us use. Hypertherm sets a standard that is hard to beat.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    It's one of those tools though that you'll pat yourself on the back for buying.
    I hear ya!
    Keith

The Powermax20 was the first 120 volt plasma system from Hypertherm.....actually may have been the first 120 volt plasma system from anyone! It is a high frequency start unit, and compared to the new Hypertherm Powermax30 (operates on either 120 or 240 volt) had about 1/2 the output power, and about 1/2 the cut capacity and speed.

Big reasons for performance difference: The 20 was a transformer /chopper power supply, the Powermax30 is a very efficient inverter (lighter, higher duty cycle). The torch technology is far superior with the 30 as well, allowing for thicker cutting capability with superior cooling and consumable life....as well as the fact that is a non-high frequency start, pilot arc style torch.

You can shop around and find very good prices on the Hypertherm Powermax30 and 45. The nice thing is that these units are well built and suppported by a great company....so your kids will be using them for many years!

Jim

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Through my many internet searches for plasma cutters, I came across this one. Tell me what you think!

Please comment!

Everlast PowerPlasma 50

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Po...50-317-pd.html

Inverter Type – Infineon IGBT
    Voltage/Phase – 240 V 1 Phase (120/240 optional)
    Start Type – Blowback type Non-HF
    Pilot Arc – Yes
    Gouge – No
    Max Cut – ¾”
    Max Severance – 1”
    Typical Uses – Automotive, General Repair, Light Industrial, Fabrication, HVAC
    C. Pierce

I bought a Powermax 45 and love it, its great.

If your looking for cheap Idk, I do have a basically new Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 39 I still need to get rid of

I use a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 with a mechanized torch and a 20A drag tip. I mainly cut 12 and 14 ga. steel and have the feedrate, amperage, and cut height nailed down where I get consistent, clean cuts with virtually no bevel and such a small amount of slag it isn't even worth cleaning up. I think that I can improve upon my cuts by using using an air filter/dryer as I'm currently hooked directly from my compressor to the plasma cutter.

Although I have no complaints about my unit, I do sometimes wish that I went with a Hypertherm because of the finecut consumables, which seem to be better geared towards CNC setups and precision cutting. My reason for going with the Thermal Dynamics was that I saved about $325 when compared to a similar Hypertherm unit.

I use a cutmaster 81 thermal dynamics (60amp)... seems to work great, had a small problem a few months ago with it but didnt cost much to fix. I think I paid $1800 for it new about three years ago... just a guess. But it has done me well, the consumables go a little fast but thats b/c i live in orlando, the humidity is 100% all the time. Any plasma machine would do bad down here without a good dryer system..

I have cut 3/4" steel plate at 10 ipm, but it works great around the 1/4" to 3/8" range plus thin gauge also... I wouldnt go over 3/4" thats pushing it, the book says it will max at 1-1/4" but they are full of ****.. Probably with someone holding a pre heat torch in front.... Which i have done before.