588,506 active members*
4,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)

Hybrid View

Epoxy at the viscosity of water would have plenty of reactive dilutents and would "blush"several days after cure.Blush is a waxy buildup on the surface.The proper type of epoxy for self leveling is rather thick and will not blush.As you are in Europe...Search google for table top epoxy.For US & Canada...http://www.uscomposites.com/kk121.html
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

the thick epoxies i tried so far do not level to 0.005 ". so i thought about using sikadur 52, which is solvent free and has the consistency of water.

http://www.sikacorp.com/tds-cpd-Sikadur52-us.pdf

Hi AFAIK,

Epoxy granite will not self level. Low viscosity epoxy with the right additives (tabletop epoxy) will self level but I don't know anybody who's actually tried here. The aggregate makes a mixture of thin epoxy and aggregate not self leveling. Certainly post about self leveling epoxy if you try it.

I'm off to the lab today to remove, rewire, and reinstall vibrators on the big vibrating table. Two come-along winches connected to the steel trusses in the lab roof combined with my trusty pallet jack allowed me to de palletize the table and remove the first of the two vibrators.

Regards all,
    Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by lgalla View Post
    Epoxy at the viscosity of water would have plenty of reactive dilutents and would "blush"several days after cure.Blush is a waxy buildup on the surface.The proper type of epoxy for self leveling is rather thick and will not blush.As you are in Europe...Search google for table top epoxy.For US & Canada...http://www.uscomposites.com/kk121.html
    Larry

Hi friend

I can not contact you by e-mail, do you have any new contact information?

May I conmmunicate with you?

Regards

Steven

Disappointing Results

Howdy folks,

My new sample was disappointing.

Modulus 1.56e6psi plus or minus 0.31e6 psi
    Strength 3589psi plus or minus 587psi

The explanations I have are the following:

I didn't have g200 Zeeospheres and substituted IMSIL 1240 which has a similar distribution to g800 which was already present. This would have lowered packing density.

I think I used the wrong epoxy mix ratio due to misreading my notes in the heat of battle.

Too much of the potentially incorrectly mixed epoxy was added to the sample due to a lab procedure error.

The titanate to aggregate ratio was off due to the procedure error.

This exercise amounts to a good dry run but the properties were similar and slightly inferior to the samples provided to me by jhudler and greybeard.

I don't think these results are anywhere close to representative of what should have happened so I'll be repeating this test when I get some more material ordered. I may end up with some extra zeeospheres.

Regards all,

Cameron