587,197 active members*
2,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: My X1 build

My X1 build

So far Ive started building my X1 and Ide thought ide share.
    Ive done Z axis mod from 9in to 14in.
    Its a little taller than the table bout 1/2in but i figured with any tooling or use of vise that will make up for it right away.
    Ive added the Y axis mod and X from LMS.
    I didnt go with the tilting column because of rigidity its bad enough why make it worse.
    Im almost done with my motor and belt mod. The motor is 2.5hp continuous duty @ 7500 rpm.
    The pulley set up came from a delt lathe . Its a 3 step pulley , I had to bore out the motor pulley some but it gave me an excuse to buy a boring head and bar set up. Im waiting on the belt now and should be here by fri. Every thing is built though so once the belt comes in I can permanently mount the motor to the plate and use it.
    Im using a KB motor controller , with external heat sink that went to a PC I mocked up and attached to the controller.
    Ill be adding a column brace soon enough and a cheaper china DRO kit.
    First Im going to finish this motor and belt mod.
    Well thanks 4 looking
    Anthony

Nice mods!

Wow! That's one highly modified Micro Mill. Good work!

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

By then end of the day ill have pics of the new motor mounted im and working im wiring it up now.
    Thanks guys...

Can you include details on where you got the motor and controller? I'm after a motor upgrade for my X2.

Fred

I bought it all off ebay , I used a tread mill motor thats ment for both CW and CCW rotation.
    I just read bout it and pieced it all together there are 100s of combination.

Well Here it is , Not done but operational.
    The speed is unbelievable . I dont even want to use it outside of first gear.
    I need to make my own pulleys that are way smaller and a 2 step pulley would be better.
    I must say I messed up allot making this but this is my first real project with the mill besides my Z axis.
    Some holes didnt line up correctly , I didnt plan as much as I should.
    Ide like to redesign the belt tensioner.
    I still need to make side covers and the plastic box that was to hold the motor controller I bought to small . Im going to make one out of sheet metal .
    But for the most part I had fun and learned allot.
    Well here are some pics.
    Sorry for the quality I broke my expensive camera bout 6 months ago.

if that motor is not attached to anything at the top I would add some more support to the mount as the 2 posts probably wont be adequate for holding the motor, too much rotational torque will start too twist those guys
    just my .02

Sorry! That just looks f**king dangerous! Rather you than me at 15k rpm!

Ide like to redesign the belt tensioner.
    One that pushes inwards would give you more belt on the pulleys.

It does look a little anemic on the mounts, which may not really be an issue until you start to cut hard and heavy, or it might. Got a motorcycle helmet? :rainfro: Be careful brother Archie, we just don't want to see any blood. Well, we do, so if you do get hurt, post some pics! But we don't want to see blood bad enough for you to get injured over, so just don't get hurt int he first place.

Ive been cutting with it for 3days now , it wasnt finished today.
    Fri morning I received my belt so some time fri night it was complete.
    I just spent from 8am to now 317pm using it . Its fine.
    I dont spin it as high as it goes it probably see 6k The way I have it set now.
    Im building it covers now .

The plate I used to build it is 1/2in thick . Its mounted very secure . The mounts on the motor are all steal anchored all the way through the plate.

All and all im very happy it cuts 7 times more than it did ,
    I can introduce larger cutters to the mill .
    Thank you for your concern. I hope to get better in time and make my pieces look better.

I decided to rebuild my motor mount .After seeing the bar allot of the members set here mine just looked like crap to me. As time went on I seen it shifting and moving.
    I know my new design isnt as great as other members but this is my third project Ive done and im getting better.
    Im trying to learn to use my hand wheels and measure better but it seems like everything I make has slots instead of an exact hole. I suck at measuring lol.
    Im trying though. I wish I was just that good because I have a million ideas.

looks a LOT better

Ill tell ya its a lot stabler and rigid.
    I dont know what it was but when ide turn it even hald way up before it would vibrate and make a high pitched noise.
    Needless to say now that its mounted correctly it sound allot better. I dont think the performance will be any different but its safe and looks allot better.
    So it has a 2.5 max hp 90v Dc motor @ 7650rpm now. Probably works out to be 1.2 hp continues ?

Next I want to change the step pulley to one timing type pulley.
    Any one recommend where I can pick them up?

Just because you are lowering the speed does not mean you are loosing any HP. when you lower the speed you are just rising torque while loosing rpm. as one goes up the other goes down. hp doesn't change.

Search through the forum advertisers, "sdp-si" or something (i think im way off) sells timing pulleys at a reasonable price

When you say turn it down are talking bout gearing it like a 2:1 ratio or just simply by my controller? If you mean by the controller I didnt know that it produced the same amount of power through out the hole rpm band.
    I think im reading into this to much.

Thanks for the site CR .
    What are the disadvantages of using plastic timing pulleys?

Ya know what else ide like to do. redesign the motor its self. Try to turn it into a face mount type motor/ 56C. I wonder if im ready to take on a project like that.
    Have any of you seen any one do anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Arich0908 View Post
    If you mean by the controller I didnt know that it produced the same amount of power through out the hole rpm band.
    I think im reading into this to much.
    Electric motors are not like gas engines

Quote Originally Posted by Arich0908 View Post
    Thanks for the site CR .
    What are the disadvantages of using plastic timing pulleys?
    They might cost less. I wouldn't use them for a spindle motor pulley--Maybe an axis though.

CR.