587,287 active members*
4,766 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > New!2200W 3000~10000RPM BLDC Motor Controller
Page 3 of 13 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by cjdavis618 View Post
    Hey Japroach, Have you figured out how to control the spindle using the analog 0-10 Volts or the PWM settings?

I bought the 2200 watt set from Jon at Keling and the motor and the controller works very well in manual mode. Maybe a bit slow to get up to speed, but I can live with that as long as the Dwell times are consistant.

I am working on my Mach 3 setup now and have the analog connected, and I am putting out the 0-10 volts on that input, and I have also added the secondary 5V power and ground to the small board on the CN15 plug. But alas, I cannot get the motor to turn on. I am sure I am missing something though.

Overall, I think this is an excellent product and a much needed replacement for the ailing Grizly motor controls on the SX3 model. Other than the connections, the only other issue I have is the speed.

It starts out correctly at the 400rpm speed, but will not get beyond 4424 rpm, even with the rpm set to 6k. But... It is repeatable and it could be because I am on a 60 cycle power grid rather than 50. When I turn the speed down to 4420, the spindle measures 4375 so I am at my top end at that point.I don't get much more out of the other 1500 rpm of button pushing.

I also noticed that this motor has a pretty warm spindle after a little use. That could be a controller issue though.

Again, I think this is a good product and seems well built. I want to purchase the 1100 watt version since the 2200 watt is way too big for the SX3. The 2200 watt I bought is about to run a lathe. I will get the 1100 for my SX3 when Keling can get more.

Kung Fu Panda - I am looking forward to more of your products.
    hi cjdavis618
    Thanks for your question,about the "analog 0-10 Volts",Now the controller in your hands can not use 0~10v setting,because this fuction is not common use ,if customer didn't ask for the fuction ,we will not do the fuction .
    If you need it we can add the fuction for you in the later order ,you can tell Keling,then we will make for you .we will send dozens of 1100W 2200W motor and controller to USA for Keling.
    And about the temperature of the motor, after the long opertion,the surface temperature of the motor constant in 60~65°C

Best regards
    zhang
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 123#主轴电机.jpg   2200W 3500rpm.jpg   2200W 3500rpm BLDC motor.jpg   2200W driver.jpg  

数控箱电器图.jpg  

zhang , I want to thank you for your quick reponse on this and am pleased with your great english skills. That is so helpful when dealing with problems. I commend you and your company for offering these products.

As for my controller and the 0-10 Volt analog system, I would like to control the motor from mach-3 directly. How would I be able to do this using a simple Breakout board like the CNc4PC c11G? I see that there is a PWM option on the CN8 plug, could this be used on my module to control the Mill. Or would I be able to use the RS485 connector in some way?

Does the Rs485 understand ModBus?

I am commited to making this work as I want to be able to set my mill up with an ATC and really like the torque on this motor.

Also, are there any thoughts on why my speed doesn't ever get to the 6000 rpm?

I have taken some high res pictures of my controller and for anyone that wants to see them as full size please download them from here. They are large so if you have slow internet, get a cup of coffee or something. :rainfro:

http://www.davis-it.com/photos/controller.jpg
    http://www.davis-it.com/photos/Keypad.jpg
    http://www.davis-it.com/photos/keyboard-fr.jpg
    http://www.davis-it.com/photos/LCDback.jpg
    http://www.davis-it.com/photos/Driver-top.jpg
    http://www.davis-it.com/photos/Driver-side.jpg

ignore this post

Hey Japroach, Have you figured out how to control the spindle using the analog 0-10 Volts or the PWM settings?
    PWM setting I think I just applied 0-5V signal from PWM to Gnd (CN6 in your pic). LCD was connected and reported current speed. PWM is easy to send from the PC, and will work fine with a normal output on a C10/C11 board.

Analog I don't recall if it worked. But I can see on your PCB that the analog chip is not populated (U9).

If zhang could send me the code I may be able to implement it. Some method of selecting Analog/PWM might be required (RS485 or 232). But I suspect he doesn't want to do that .

It starts out correctly at the 400rpm speed, but will not get beyond 4424 rpm, even with the rpm set to 6k. But... It is repeatable and it could be because I am on a 60 cycle power grid rather than 50. When I turn the speed down to 4420, the spindle measures 4375 so I am at my top end at that point.I don't get much more out of the other 1500 rpm of button pushing.
    60Hz is ok. Possibly: code issue, wrong motor, hall sensors not aligned properly. Does it make any odd noises?

I also noticed that this motor has a pretty warm spindle after a little use. That could be a controller issue though.
    How long of a time period are we talking at what rpm?

Or would I be able to use the RS485 connector in some way?
    RS485 IC is not populated, and no idea if he has anything in there for code. That would be nice though.

I will try to figure out the pwm settings, there are some details in the manual but I will work with it further. Should I be able to control the spindle speed, on-off and direction using just the pwm controls?

On the motor and noise, I do remember there being what sounded like a bearing noise once every few seconds, but it could have been something else. It does it at every speed, not just hightest and it lasts the same amount of time even are highest speeds.

The motor got warm after only about 10 minutes of running, but not hot by any means. Didn't really matter what rpm if I recall.

I did notice about the Analog chip missing after he mentioned that, but I see now about the 485 chip as well. Too bad, but if I can get pwm going, that would work fine as well. that part is still greek to me at the moment.

I will try to figure out the pwm settings, there are some details in the manual but I will work with it further. Should I be able to control the spindle speed, on-off and direction using just the pwm controls?

On the motor and noise, I do remember there being what sounded like a bearing noise once every few seconds, but it could have been something else. It does it at every speed, not just hightest and it lasts the same amount of time even are highest speeds.

The motor got warm after only about 10 minutes of running, but not hot by any means. Didn't really matter what rpm if I recall.

I did notice about the Analog chip missing after he mentioned that, but I see now about the 485 chip as well. Too bad, but if I can get pwm going, that would work fine as well. that part is still greek to me at the moment.
    PWM input if I remember correctly when turned off stops the motor. So you just need another output pin connected to "F/R" to control direction.

edit:
    Checked again today, and yes PWM works fine if its within 150-200Hz (code needs work for outside those ranges). This can be set in mach3.
    5V also needs to be connected (same connector, CN6), you should be able to piggyback off your breakout board as the current draw is low (~20mA).
    When this 5V is connected the keypad is locked out, so you may want to add a switch for manual control (more possible code improvements).

Grounding FWD/REV makes the motor run in reverse, driving to 5V or letting it float it runs forward.

edit2:
    Ran the motor for 10mins at 7krpm and it got to about 15C above ambient (40C). Try to measure the temperature if you think its significantly more than that.
    If the hall sensors are really off, you can usually hear a noise that varies with speed.

edit3:
    Sorry for not realizing this earlier, but the paint on the middle portion of the motor is not good. It will flake off fairly easily, and doesn't smell particularly well.
    I stripped most of it off with a wire wheel, but I would prefer it anodized (which I think is used on the end caps?).

Thanks for the info JAproach, that will probably solve my problem. I will see if I can make that work today.

The paint could be the reason that it is making that noise, it did sound like that could be it. I have a temp gun and will measure the motor when I let it run a bit today.

Well, thanks to all the help from you guys, I managed to get this thing running with Mach3 using pwm.

I worked with it for a good while but I did learn quite a bit about the settings. I am going to post the results in another thread and then link back to it here. Japroach, I admit with pwm I am treading lightly so if I make a mistake in the settings, please let me know. They seem to be working, but I would like to find out why I can't get past the 4k rpm range. I did manage to get it to 4500 rm by putting in a huge number in mdi by accident while testing.

I did manage to complete the spindle calibration and I am within 50rpm across the board with the speeds I have randomly tested. I can live with that and I can reverse the spindle with the m4/m3 commands so that is good.

I want to thank you for your help and I hope Zhang will post more on this thread and give us more insight to thier product.

Also, I did measure the motor after all of the testing and it never got above 110F. That was about 30 minutes of running full speed. I can tell however that there is a noise once the rpms get above 4200 rpm. Sounds like something clicking in the motor. I think the driver is trying to get the extra speed, but cannot get the motor to react? Could it be a limitation of the 110volt circuit? I can wire it 220volts single phase but didn't think it was needed.

Zhang? 2200 watts on 110Volts electric. Is that right, or is 220 volts usable for this driver?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHUA3-drvYM"]YouTube- Sangmutan motor speed[/nomedia]

Well, thanks to all the help from you guys, I managed to get this thing running with Mach3 using pwm.

I worked with it for a good while but I did learn quite a bit about the settings. I am going to post the results in another thread and then link back to it here. Japroach, I admit with pwm I am treading lightly so if I make a mistake in the settings, please let me know. They seem to be working, but I would like to find out why I can't get past the 4k rpm range. I did manage to get it to 4500 rm by putting in a huge number in mdi by accident while testing.

I did manage to complete the spindle calibration and I am within 50rpm across the board with the speeds I have randomly tested. I can live with that and I can reverse the spindle with the m4/m3 commands so that is good.

I want to thank you for your help and I hope Zhang will post more on this thread and give us more insight to thier product.

Also, I did measure the motor after all of the testing and it never got above 110F. That was about 30 minutes of running full speed. I can tell however that there is a noise once the rpms get above 4200 rpm. Sounds like something clicking in the motor. I think the driver is trying to get the extra speed, but cannot get the motor to react? Could it be a limitation of the 110volt circuit? I can wire it 220volts single phase but didn't think it was needed.

Zhang? 2200 watts on 110Volts electric. Is that right, or is 220 volts usable for this driver?

hi cjdavis618
    I am sorry for delay,and there is some thing that didn't right,if you use AC110V to connect the chontroller you must do another thing that you see in the photo ,i just take some photos for you ,you should connect the two Terminals,then the speed will up to 6000,now the speed is only half. try it and tell me the test results.
    hi japroach thanks for your reply.

My Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2200W.jpg   2200W 110V.jpg  

Thanks Zhang,

I just got back from my vacation and tested what you showed and it did indeed fix the speed issue. I am now able to get the motor to 6000 rpm.

Now I will re-run the spindle calibration and let the metal cutting begin. I will also note the steps for Keling in order to add better documentation to his site.

Thanks for everyones help. I suspect that now we have a proven controller and motor system for mach3, you will need to send Keling lots of motors and drivers. These systems are great for existing machines, and scratch built machines as well.

Thank you Chris

Pls check the stock here:

http://www.kelinginc.net/CNCmillingcontroller.html

Will these have the same features or will you be adding the 0-10volt input as well?

yes. I asked zhang to add 0-10VDC, Mach3 spindle control for this production

Do you have encoder interface so it can work Closed loop for rigid tapping on milling machine / threading on Lathe.

Vishnu

Quote Originally Posted by Kelinginc View Post
    yes. I asked zhang to add 0-10VDC, Mach3 spindle control for this production

hi kelinginc

The dozens of 1100w and 2200W motor and controller I have shipping to Chicago by sea ,if everything is ok ,the Goods will arrive the port by 2010-9-16~18

zhang

[email protected]
    www.sangmutan.com

Lightbulb

FYI to those interested:
    Novakon has started using these motors/controllers in their mills, at least with the NM200 series 2 (2.2kW version). Seem to work fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kung fu panda View Post
    hi kelinginc

The dozens of 1100w and 2200W motor and controller I have shipping to Chicago by sea ,if everything is ok ,the Goods will arrive the port by 2010-9-16~18

zhang

[email protected]
    www.sangmutan.com
    Hi Zhang

Thank you very much.
    I will put a note here when I get them. I know many guys are waiting for

Hi Zhang

Thank you very much.

hi everyone ,the motor and controller have arrived at Chicago

zhang

[email protected]

www.sangmutan.com

Question

Hi Zhang

Thank you very much.

FYI to those interested:
    Novakon has started using these motors/controllers in their mills, at least with the NM200 series 2 (2.2kW version). Seem to work fairly well.

Page 3 of 13 12345