587,879 active members*
3,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Anyone here using Trim Sol E206?

Anyone here using Trim Sol E206?

I’m looking for a “green” coolant (for cutting aluminum) if there is such a product. I’ve done some searching and this stuff keeps coming up. I don't know if this is considered "green" but it seems to be environmentally safe which is what I want in my home shop.

I’m assuming this comes as a concentrate but I can’t seem to find mixing ratios so I can figure out how much to purchase.

Just looking for some input on this stuff or some info on a similar product.

Never used that but I do use Trim Whamex to clean my sumps out, stuff works awesome. So Im assuming other products from Master Chemical are quality metal working fluids. Call your tool rep and get a 5 gal. sample.

I have been using it for about two years. I have had good luck with it. I have never had a batch go rancid and smelly on me and it seems to protect the machine's surfaces well. I use it on my lahtes and mill at around 8-10% concentration and on my cut off saw at 20%. It has a very slight pleasant smell and the solution is a nice translucent blue when first mixed up although it turns milky after a bit of use. It leaves a very, very light film on the machine and on parts. The film is not tacky and the parts wash off easily. I use it on aluminum and steel both, mostly aluminum though. Overall I am happy with it.
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT

Cool, thanks.

There are quite a few coolants out there that are environment friendly, Just remember once you cycle it through your machine it will pick up tramp oil so all the "green" factor is basically gone. You will need some kind of plan to deal with it. Check local lubricant companies to see if they will pick up. Here in upstate NY we have a company called NOCO Lubricants that will pick it up for 1.00 a gallon (that was the price the last time I had them pick up at least) they evaporate the water out and use it for heating oil. If you want to evaporate the water out yourself you can then turn it in as used oil. I personally use my used coolant in my cut off saw and constantly change them out so I never have to deal with a bad sump. Plus it always seemed like a waste to me running new coolant in a cut off saw. The first time you start up on a Monday morning and realize your coolant went bad you will make sure it doesn't happen again hehe.

What is "tramp oil"?

Tramp oil is way oil that makes its way to the coolant sump.

got it..

We just got rid of it in our shop. It usually worked great for about a month or two and then went down hill really quick. Eventually start breaking taps and poor lubrication on some of our heavier cuts. A lot of shrieking that went away once the coolant was changed out again. Seemed to get a bad smell after the month or two window and usually smelled bad after a long weekend. We are a job shop, so the machines are going most of the time. The new stuff we got is working great without any significant degradation after several months of use. Our test machine was still cutting well after a year of use and we just started converting over a couple weeks ago. It's called Dascool, though I don't recall who makes it and I know nothing of the cost. I don't have any complaints about it yet.

Greg

Trim 206

Luke,

I have used Trim 206 for 11 years.

Its usually mixed anywhere from 7% to 10% on a refractor.
    When I machine aluminum I keep it lower...around the 7%.

Only problem I have ever had with it is foaming when it gets old.
    They do sell and anti foam agent you can add to it...works great.

------------------

Our local HFO started advertizing ICE coolant. My buddy down the street with
    an aluminum mold shop bought some...and he is raving about it.
    No sticky, no foam, ect ect. I plan on trying it on the next machine I clean out.

My .02 cents.

Swain

When you say "old" how long would that be?

Are you happy with it's performance when cutting and tapping aluminum?

Wink 206

Luke,

Old to me is 6 months or more. I have never noticed the "bad" smell
    I have heard others talk about. The coolant smells good when its first
    charged in the machine...and if anything...it loses its smell after two
    weeks or so. One difference may be is that I have a tramp oil skimmer and use it alot.

Every 6 months to a year, I empty the cooland tank, clean it out entirely,
    and charge with new coolant. I use this both in my mills and lathes.

I have been very happy with its performance..and I machine aluminum and
    all kinds of steels. Never had a tap break from coolant that I know of.
    Only tap breakage is when I do something outside the box. On the rare
    occasion that I am tapping something iffy, I will stop machine and pre-lube
    the tap with a thick tap magic bottle for that hole.

Inflation added...my .04 cents.

Swain

Thanks.

In my reasearch I've ran across the ICE coolant to but haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

I've been using Trim C320. I've had it last upto a year without changing. I keep mine aireated (small fish tank areator).

We got rid of trimsol years ago it would go rancid on us in no time. we then went to blaser swiss lube for a few years. we tried valcool and ended up using wallover now. we drain and clean coolant tanks once a year. the advantage we see with wall over is we can do away with the high priced jet mixer. after the first charge we only add water for several months. it has saved us about 6000 to 8000 over the cost of blaser and better tool life, and cleaner parts.

I'm looking to purchase a refractometer can anyone offer advice on scale size and brands?

Worked in a shop for the past two years that used Trim Sol (no numbers) for pretty much everything.

And sometimes machines would sit.

Never saw a problem. Maybe that was just me, but heck... Mostly milling and sawing, a small amount of lathe work (and undiluted TS does pretty darn nice as cutting/tapping fluid).

Quote Originally Posted by swain View Post
    Our local HFO started advertizing ICE coolant. My buddy down the street with
    an aluminum mold shop bought some...and he is raving about it.
    No sticky, no foam, ect ect. I plan on trying it on the next machine I clean out.

My .02 cents.

Swain
    Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    In my reasearch I've ran across the ICE coolant to but haven't had a chance to look into it yet.
    I am using the ICE HPX after being recommend by my local HFO.

I am only cutting aluminium currently.

I run my machine for maybe 3-4 hours an evening right now, so it's not in full use, but so far I like the coolant better than anything we have used at work previously.

Only issue I have had has been deep tapping 1/4-20 holes in aluminium. 1.1" deep and I am breaking taps. Not sure if it is anything to do with the coolant though. I check the coolant concentration and I am good to a little strong.

I think the tapping issue may be down to the material I had, but I am seeing some galling on the taps (dedicated aluminium taps too). It was frustrating, but not doing any more holes like that so not too worried now (it was for my fixtures and base plate set ups).

I love the coolant for the lack of smell, no stickyness, no foam, relatively clear to see what's going on and ease of blowing it off the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    I'm looking to purchase a refractometer can anyone offer advice on scale size and brands?

I bought this one from MSDirect and it's working well for me. https://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRI...MTERM=09413386 I bought it during one of their 35% off sales which made the price a lot better.

Been using the Trim Sol E206 for about 18 months without any problems.
    I picked up a refractometer off ebay for a good price; it takes all the guess work out of the mixing.
    I was going to go with the ICE but there was not a local vender, so far I'm happy wit the Trim.
    I installed a fish tank pump that I run about 12 hours a day, coolant smells fine.
    2008 Haas VF2D
    OneCNC XR5 Mill Expert