587,747 active members*
2,816 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Linear actuator project. PLEASE HELP

Hey all,
    Been looking around here for the past month or two. Looking to start on some cnc projects.

This thread is sort of a side problem that I though could use parts that would be familiar to all of those here to complete. I am looking for a linear actuator with about 4-5 inches of travel. I don't want to use steppers, instead I would like to use a small dc motor that will travel at a constant velocity from one end to the other. I would like it to be reversible and have a limit swtich of some sort that it goes to one end then stop, then if I press another button, it goes to the other end and stops. Precision is not an issie, but it would be nice if it have very repeatable speeds.

The application is for a gauge that will be mounted to the actuator and will pull on an arm. The guage will read the amount of pull required to move the arm. We are hoping to use this to measure wear on bearings that support the arm.

Let me know if you think you have something like this or point me in the right direction please. Thanks

Plug and play would be a big bonus

Quote Originally Posted by breathe View Post
    Hey all,
    Been looking around here for the past month or two. Looking to start on some cnc projects.

This thread is sort of a side problem that I though could use parts that would be familiar to all of those here to complete. I am looking for a linear actuator with about 4-5 inches of travel. I don't want to use steppers, instead I would like to use a small dc motor that will travel at a constant velocity from one end to the other. I would like it to be reversible and have a limit swtich of some sort that it goes to one end then stop, then if I press another button, it goes to the other end and stops. Precision is not an issie, but it would be nice if it have very repeatable speeds.

The application is for a gauge that will be mounted to the actuator and will pull on an arm. The guage will read the amount of pull required to move the arm. We are hoping to use this to measure wear on bearings that support the arm.

Let me know if you think you have something like this or point me in the right direction please. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/THK-RSR12WVM-Lin...item1e5d4c23ca

Something like this might work, but I don't know if it has limit switches and it is kinda bulky looking.

Will something like this work for you? http://www.pbclinear.com/MLC-Series-Actuator

Sorry to hijack

'm looking to do something similar, but what would be the cheapest way to control something like that. Just need it to move back and forth, but not stop. Continuous back and forth, but able to change the speed/frequency of that motion?