588,695 active members*
6,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)

Hybrid View

Hi Roman,

We're lacking a factor of about 2 in modulus and about 25% in strength. Models indicate that modulus is inversely proportional to epoxy percentage in a nasty non-linear way and since I know too much epoxy got added, it's somewhat to be expected.

I've had good results in the past curing solid Epoxy/IPDA samples at 85C but I'll review the results again when I get over to the lab. As long as the original cure has been done at the correct temperature, a high temperature post cure shouldn't harm the sample and has the potential to make a slight improvement.

Got to go cut grass at the lab today.

--Cameron

Hey Cameron,

Nice to see you got results with your nice lab-setup. cool.

Could you tell a bit more about the process off demoulding, did you had some trouble with it? Since the mould is vibrated and maybe the release agent gets broken? What did you used for the release agent.

For my own machine i`m making some progress to, i got a wooden mould cnc machined and i have to put it together the next few weeks. Then i can take the mould with me to Germany to a big EG manufacterer, here i cann use there mixture and vibrating table etc, they are going to help, so thats pretty cool for me...

Kind regards.

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by veteq View Post
    Hey Cameron,

Could you tell a bit more about the process off demoulding, did you had some trouble with it? Since the mould is vibrated and maybe the release agent gets broken? What did you used for the release agent.
    Hi Roy,

I used Mann Release Ease-Release 200. http://www.mann-release.com/erelease.htm The combination of compression and vibration probably did breakdown the layer. This is a silicone based release agent selected for easy availability over the internet here in the states.

Demolding was accomplished by whacking the back of the warm mold with a big stick and sliding a large putty knife down the sides. In general, one probably wants to make a mold that comes apart for a more precise release operation. This was a test done in an ordinary cake pan. The sample was between 1/2 and 3/8 inch thick and as a result, procedures for it probably don't transfer to real molds.

For my own machine i`m making some progress to, i got a wooden mould cnc machined and i have to put it together the next few weeks. Then i can take the mould with me to Germany to a big EG manufacterer, here i cann use there mixture and vibrating table etc, they are going to help, so thats pretty cool for me...
    It sounds like you have made some good friends! I wish you the best of luck with your machine and I sincerely hope that you post all about it here when you get it done if your collaborators will let you post it.

Regards All,

Cameron

Hey Cameron,

nice to hear you also used the silicone agent, this was also the same procedure the German Engineer explained to me. Releasing nicely sound a bit difficult.

On the Dutch cnc forum, people also said to me a wax agent was possible, so i was in doubt... Nice you also use silicon, it made me just order 3 cans off it by a local shop..

For my design releasing will become really hard...look at the picture, it is 1 part and the MDF wooden mould is al around/in it, getting it of will be a pain, but for 1 piece its not a real problem, it will be poured from the backside of this view.

Offcourse i will post it here when the proces is done, think that isn`t a problem by the German company, i just called them all and every company just hang the phone on me... Then i spoke to the chief engineer and owner off a nice company, this was the right person!!! He said that he understood the difficulties and offerd me to come to his company and take the mould with me!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epoxy.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by veteq View Post
    Hey Cameron,

Kind regards.

Roy

PVA release agent is available