587,236 active members*
3,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > A very unexciting project..........
Page 1 of 2 12

Cool A very unexciting project..........

We all love to see great routers and machine projects, but if you're like me, you neglect to smaller elememts that go on such machines.

It is about time for me to make a dust collection system for my machine.
    Up until now I have just been vacuuming up after each job.

During the weekily shopping I have gone down the cleaning product section and noticed the cheap dustpan brushes. About 2 dollars each. I have thought if I bought 4 of them and cut off the handles, I could then screw them to a piece of MDF to form a square.
    I would then cut two hole in the mdf, one for the router bit and the other for the vacuum. The other addition to this project I was thinking about was to have an air stream that was aimed at the router bit. That way it would help to cool the tip and also stir up the cut particals so they could be sucked up easier.

I will post some highly stimulating pictures once I have built this project. Please dont hassle me for these pictures any sooner, since i dont want to rush this project and get it wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions b4 i actually get started?
    Being outside the square !!!

I'd think you would need a stiff brush to make this work. The brush would also need to have a tight pattern. Why not use plexi glass so you can see what's going on?

Hey Benny
    shopbot has something similar for their machine, I was planning to use some of the elements in their vacuum scheme in my machine. I've also seen this type of setup in other machines. (I like the clear lucite plate they use)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cncshopbot3_800.jpg  
    -Patrick

measure twice, cut once - a good rule for everything

Quote Originally Posted by DSL PWR
    I'd think you would need a stiff brush to make this work. The brush would also need to have a tight pattern. Why not use plexi glass so you can see what's going on?
    The brush can be lower than the bit to get a better seal. If you use plexiglas, you'd have to hold it up too high to be effective to prevent it from crashing into your workpiece.

It's easy to make a brushed collector like the Shopbot's for flat panel work, but for effective dust collection on 3D work, it gets a lot harder.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

err, I think he means plexiglass instead of MDF rather than instead of the brushes. i.e. for the frame.

You bet

That went right over my head.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Free advice dept....Do not make the mistake I made of enclosing the base of the router with the vacuum cowl; the router's exhaust overpowers the vac and blows dust everywhere; it was a powerful vac too...
    This thread's previous image looks promising with only the bit enclosed.

Also the brush on some vacuum cleaner's sweeper attachment is essentially a flexible metal channel with bristles mounted into it. The channel-bristle assembly is sometimes removable (I've had them fall out while I was vacuuming) and would be great for a custom brush. Probably get the attachment for cheap from a vac repair shop.

Quote Originally Posted by sol
    Free advice dept....Do not make the mistake I made of enclosing the base of the router with the vacuum cowl; the router's exhaust overpowers the vac and blows dust everywhere; it was a powerful vac too...
    This thread's previous image looks promising with only the bit enclosed.

Also the brush on some vacuum cleaner's sweeper attachment is essentially a flexible metal channel with bristles mounted into it. The channel-bristle assembly is sometimes removable (I've had them fall out while I was vacuuming) and would be great for a custom brush. Probably get the attachment for cheap from a vac repair shop.
    Unless you plan ahead and divert the routers air flow, this one works pretty well for me.
    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails router_vac1.JPG   router_vac2.JPG   router_vac3.JPG  

Here is an idea (I think). Rather than have a brush curtain why not have an air curtain. The basic idea is to have a dont shaped mainfold into which a set of nozzles fit, either that or one long nozzle. You pass compressed air through the nozzles (perhaps not at full pressure), the air hits the machining surface and tends to push chips towards the centre. The awaiting vacuum then picks them up. With adjustment it should be possible to get a high velocity air loop going from nozzle to vacuum.

I just thought this might be a nice way to do it for 3D stuff, it is works that is.

Graham
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vac.jpg  

Hey these are some really good responces.
    Maybe its not such and unexciting project.

I might do a composite creation uncluding a plexiglass cover with an air curtain.

These ideas are more exciting than what I was planing to do.

Just to take the cool factor to 10 why not get a cheapo laptop webcam. They are small and very cheap these days. Install in your head to watch the action. I do something a little like this, I have a small RF camera that I set up to watch my mill. It runs in the attic while I keep an eye on it via the TV card on my PC. Keeps me away from the noise and I can surf the web etc.

As far as dust on the lens, there are two solutions I can think of. A perspex cover and windscreen wiper or much cooler a mylar conveyer belt type lens cover that contiuously moves through wipers to keep it dust free.

You can probably take these things too far but what the hell.

Graham

You can probably take these things too far but what the hell.
    Nah never, putting down ideas in text is fun and real easy. We will probably do a tenth of the ideas, but I love exploring new concepts.

Keep the ideas coming in.

EDIT: I wonder if this qualifies as "Open source brainstorming" ? That section is looking quite lonely.

This is the result of much trial and error.

A unit that only used air jets and vacuum required too much pressure and vac to overcome the chip throw of the bit. A physical barrier was needed to stop the heavier chips...brush bristles worked.
    The vac's suction needed to be as close to the bit as possible to take advantage of, rather than fight, the router's exhaust, and to keep the footprint of the unit from being clunky.
    With this set-up the exhaust actually helps to drive dust up the vac port, therefore the vacuum motor can be slowed way down to a purr rather than its normal scream.
    Parts are off the shelf 2" and 1-½ " DWV plumbing fittings and 1-½ " vac hose with attachments.
    The hose swivels from the ceiling....
    The assembly is easily removed from the router by loosening one wing-screw, and the brush snaps off so the cutter/bit is visible for job set-up.

Works well so far....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vacxsmall.jpg   vacpipe.jpg   vacoffset2.JPG   vacz.jpg  

As regards to the post earilier about keeping dust off camera lenses, there is a very effective method which is used to keep water off lenses, and it may work equally well with dust.
    Its a spinning perspex disc which is placed in front of the lense in a sealed unit. When particles (water and maybe dust) attempt to land on it, it gets instantly flung off.
    Rather clever idea.

Re: post 14
    Okay, more trial and error.
    Just an update on a new vac offset, works better, looks nicer.
    Show and tell here
    http://solsylva.com/cnc/9bcnc54.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vacoffsetfb.jpg  

The problem with any item...especially plastic rotating in the air charges the surface and dust is attracted to it....large particles are flung off, but the dust builds up.

Sol, I take my hat off to you in.
    You went to much effort to make that design.
    Even thought it is a simple idea, I can see you have put a lot of thought into it.
    I had forgotten about this thread, thanks for reviving it, I think I might change the title of it to reflect more about what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    The problem with any item...especially plastic rotating in the air charges the surface and dust is attracted to it....large particles are flung off, but the dust builds up.

This might be a silly idea but why couldn't a person make a positive or negative ion charger to charge air and blow over the static problem surface to cancel out the static charge?

Hey Sol,

I just started looking into dust collecting systems and am really impressed by the moulded tube. Great job on the fiberglassing!

taus
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

Page 1 of 2 12