587,246 active members*
3,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New UK JGRO

Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kammo1 View Post
    Nice build bro where are you based in the UK ?
    Thanks Kammo. I'm in Swansea.

Thanks bro I'm based in Nottingham although not a million miles away. I'm definately thinking of making an enclosure like yourself to house mine when its nearing its completion and although it will not eliminate the noise totally it will be a huge help. My workshop is at the end of my garden but its a wooden frame structure so soundwise its not very good so housing it in a soundproof box should help. Just wondering how effective is yours say when the router is actually cutting ?? I've looked on the web for soundproofing material but yikes it can be pretty expensive so I was wondering what will work effectively with a bit of cost but not break the bank balance ?again nice build.

Quote Originally Posted by Kammo1 View Post
    Thanks bro I'm based in Nottingham although not a million miles away. I'm definately thinking of making an enclosure like yourself to house mine when its nearing its completion and although it will not eliminate the noise totally it will be a huge help. My workshop is at the end of my garden but its a wooden frame structure so soundwise its not very good so housing it in a soundproof box should help. Just wondering how effective is yours say when the router is actually cutting ?? I've looked on the web for soundproofing material but yikes it can be pretty expensive so I was wondering what will work effectively with a bit of cost but not break the bank balance ?again nice build.
    I wanted the enclosure both to cut-down on the noise and to try to contain the dust. It does cut down the noise a bit, but the enclosure is not heavy enough to be completely sound proof. This is a link to good article on the options for sound proofing machines:

Link: sound proofing machines

I lined the box with mineral-wool insulation to try to help absorb the sound. I think there are some acoustic grades of mineral wool that would work best - but I just used the cheapest I could find in Wickes.

I also thought about mounting the machine on rubber feet - that should absorb some of the vibration before it gets to the table.

The noisiest thing in my set up is the vacuum. It was in a cupboard under the enclosure but it was still really noisy from where I was venting it out through a duct in the wall of the garage. I managed to cut the noise right down by using a silencer from WestWise between the exhaust of the vacuum and the wall duct.

Link: Circular duct silencer

When you look on e-bay, its clear that some people use this type of silencer to hide the noise from the ventilation fans of their indoor cannabis plantation!

As it stands the machine is quiet enough to use during the evenings - which is the only time I have to work on it - my neighbour's house is only around 2m from my garage and you can't really hear anything when the garage door is shut,(mind you that might be because my garage is full of junk which is absorbing the noise!)

Nathan

Page 2 of 2 12