588,032 active members*
5,564 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G201X can only turn the motor to one direction.

G201X can only turn the motor to one direction.

Hello!

I've been using 3 sets of the G201X for a few months, and last week one of them is having a problem. Regardless of the direction being sent, it turns the motor to only one direction. Is there anything that I can do to solve this problem or should I just send the G201X back to Gecko? I think that they're still under the warranty

Wachara C.

Hi,
    Sounds like the opto-isolator might be shot. Try swapping the drive with a known working unit just to verify that it indeed IS the drive and not something

You should be able to replace the opto-isolator if you're careful. If you're not sure about it you'd be better off just sending it back to Geckodrive to get it repaired.

/Henrik.

Quote Originally Posted by H.O View Post
    Hi,
    Sounds like the opto-isolator might be shot. Try swapping the drive with a known working unit just to verify that it indeed IS the drive and not something

You should be able to replace the opto-isolator if you're careful. If you're not sure about it you'd be better off just sending it back to Geckodrive to get it repaired.

/Henrik.

Hi H.O,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure which chip is the opto-isolator. Is it the one in a socket. There is only one chip that can take out and replace easily as far as I can see.

Wachara C.

Hi,
    My G210's are 9+ years old and have the opto-isolator in a socket, sounds like yours does as well. If it's an 8-pin device and it says HCPL-2631, HCPL-2531 or something like it then that is it.

If you have verified that it IS the drive then you can try swapping opto-isolator chips between a working and the non working drive. That way you'll verify if the opto-isolator is bad. Be careful when you extract and insert them so you don't bend any of its legs etc.

If it still doesn't work it might be the little resistor in series with the LED inside the isolator. Is there any chance you might have connected a voltage higher than 5V to the direction input? That can kill the isolator and/or the series resistor.

Don't mess with it if you don't feel comfortable, send it back and they will repair it - if it's reparable.

/Henrik.

Hi H.O

Thank you very much for your advice. I've confirmed that the fault is actually from the drive. I don't think that I will be able to repair it. I'll just send it back to Gecko for a repair then. Thanks again for taking your time to help me.

Wachara C.