587,231 active members*
4,156 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Rotary Converter/ Haas VF2/ "T3" (Manufactured line)

Rotary Converter/ Haas VF2/ "T3" (Manufactured line)

With a phase converter T1 and T2 (Supplied by the utility company) are supposed to be used to run all controls T3 is the generated line. Does anyone know which tap gets "T3" a, b or c?

The VF2 is an '08 if that matters.

Doesn't matter

One very important thing is to make sure your legs are balanced. Think they should be within 5% of one another.

Quote Originally Posted by mniadna View Post
    Doesn't matter
    Phase converter manufacturer said it does, the 3rd leg is not supposed to run controls.

I read (prior to the purchase a few years ago) that the manufactured leg needs to run certain parts of the machine; I just don't recall the info or where I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by mniadna View Post
    One very important thing is to make sure your legs are balanced. Think they should be within 5% of one another.
    My converter is balanced at 1.9% over all, checked it yesterday.
    T1-T2> 0.9%
    T1-T3> 0.7%
    T2-T3> 0.3%

Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    Phase converter manufacturer said it does, the 3rd leg is not supposed to run controls.

I read (prior to the purchase a few years ago) that the manufactured leg needs to run certain parts of the machine; I just don't recall the info or where I read it.
    I think there's a 24V? transformer for the control power supply so I think it probably doesn't matter which leg is being used for it. However, there's a phase check led that will let you know if the 3 phase power is connected in reverse. If that happens you just switch two of the wires.

I would image if you can't use the 3rd leg from the phase converter for the control, you probably can't use it for the spindle drive either.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJW View Post
    However, there's a phase check led that will let you know if the 3 phase power is connected in reverse. If that happens you just switch two of the wires.
    Yes, there is a "phase detect" light in the panel just left of the in comming power breaker.

Here is some info from the install manual:
    * "T3 is the manufactured line: DO NOT use T3 for any single phase loads."
    * "Run all controls from lines T1 and T2.”

What I find a little interesting about this is even if I hire the HFO for $1000 or more to come out and level and start up the machine they do not mess with the wiring, (per my HFO). Therefore they would have no idea which leg is “T3” and would never check it.

If I hire an electrician I doubt they would even consider it and would never take the time to trace the wiring. I’ve called Haas for phase converter information (not for this) and was pawned off on a phase converter manufacturer. I haven’t called on this yet, I just figured the information would be here somewhere.

I did post this the phase converter forum and never got a reply post on it.

The reason someone probably told you that is because the manufactured leg could have more harmonic distortion than the legs from the grid. It doesn't seem to be an issue, though. I have a Haas and a FADAL that run off of phase converters. I just balanced the legs and ran power to the machines. John is correct, except for the fact that phase orientation doesn't matter. My machine has a 12V regulated supply to power the "controls" and a VFD to drive the spindle. It would be impossible not to use the the manufactured leg to power any of the "electronics" in the machine. The only thing that statement could possibly apply to would be something like a 1980s CNC Bridgeport that doesn't have a VFD for the spindle.
    Another thing that phase converter manufacturers seem to be incorrect about is their sizing. When I bought my first phase converter for my 15HP VF-0, I was told to double the spindle motor HP, or maximum combined HP of all motors. I ended up buying a 25HP converter for the machine. When I bought my 4020HT with a 20HP spindle, I bought a 30HP converter, only to find out that the 25HP that I already had would run both machines simultaneously. I have yet to hook up the 30HP converter... They tell you to oversize the converter, because as demand on the converter increases, the balance of the legs will change. Having an incredibly large converter will minimize this.

Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    Here is some info from the install manual:
    * "T3 is the manufactured line: DO NOT use T3 for any single phase loads."
    * "Run all controls from lines T1 and T2.”
    If the only stipulation is to not use T3 for any single phase loads, then I believe any terminal should be fine because all three legs are routed through the internal transformer. From there the machine steps down any requirements for 115v.

OK, I've resisted posting because this really is splitting hairs...

What year is your machine? The mid-2000s, white painted, Haas Vector Drives did have the control voltages internally tapped into A and C; B was the leg you would ideally connect to the generated leg.

I can't speak to the later brushed-stainless or black plastic vector drives, though I suspect they are similar.

To correct the phasing direction (if it fails the startup check), simply swap the outside two wires (A&C).
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    OK, I've resisted posting because this really is splitting hairs...
    Why is it splitting hairs if I don't know the answer?

What year is your machine? The mid-2000s, white painted, Haas Vector Drives did have the control voltages internally tapped into A and C; B was the leg you would ideally connect to the generated leg.

I sent Rick Flemming (The Answer Man, Haas Tech) and email about this his responses were: "All that is necessary is that you meet the requirements as outlined in the electrical connections section of your manual." and "The phase converter must supply voltage within the requirements outlined in the voltage requirements that is all"

I did go ahead and hook up "T3" to the center connection whether it matters or not.

The hookup went perfect, everything checked out within the parameters, so I finally have power to the machine.

Now I have to level it.

Nice to see you are up and running. Now you can concentrate on making parts which means $$$$$$$$$.

lol, not quite "up and running" yet, but getting there.

I think it might be an antiquated warning based on three-phase "hot leg" systems that are still in use these days depending on the age of your machine (circa 80's) or your power service. It's where there's an added neutral terminal on your power supply side, which connects to the ground wire of your machine, and ultimately generates a 208-VAC single phase supply between the ground and one of the 240-VAC three phase legs. (which is then internally transformed down to a 120-VAC for the computers).
    You still have 240-VAC between all three legs, but the machine draws single phase power through it at the same time.

That system usually uses the "second" leg of a 3phase bus which is why I thought of it. I'm not sure but I doubt Haas uses it since I was given the impression it was reserved for heavy heavy machines back in the 70's-80's, but I don't know much about those era Haas anyhow.