587,275 active members*
3,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

looking for help

hi, I am looking for help ,hopefully there is someone here from hamilton ontario
    please let me know

chris

ok so no one aroud here,

where can i buy supplies like the refractory and casting sand?

You are more likely to get help with specific questions. What are you trying to make?

If you need supplies search for foundries, blacksmiths or even pottery supplies in your local area. I don’t live near you so I can’t help with anyone specific.

All the best

Verm

well I am wanting to build a small furnace to melt alum,

I was just hoping someone could personally help , but if not then I guess the help from here will doo.

i would like to try lost foam casting first (do you just bury the foam in sand,does it matter what kind of sand?)

also i have a few bags of glass beads for blasting (can i use these for insulation of a furnace, can i pour into them)

thats all for now
    chris

I don't know much about glass beads but I am thinking that they will melt if you use tham as insulation (they also would be a poor insulator). Melting aluminium is fairly easy and a simple charcoal foundry is not hard or expensive to make. The flower pot furnace comes to mind.

Recently there has been much discussion and quality information on building a small propane furnace and burner here. With this furnace you are not restricted to aluminium.

Hope this helps

Verm