587,771 active members*
3,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > share your experience with offshore molds, dies or machined parts

Hybrid View

If china can't make there molds, then china can't make anything worth a **** "even with your help they still make garbage". Why do you help china mass produce and drive our economy further down? I know you need to eat, but I was tought "this was pertaining to hotrods" by my grandfather if you can't do it yourself then you don't need it. I think if a entire country can't figure it out, then they should be destined to failure. This is BS, we should be the ones selling everyone else products. This thread and you robert turned out to be very disappointing. Right now I don't think much would change my mind about you, but I would like to hear some kind of argument.

Quote Originally Posted by universalfab View Post
    If china can't make there molds, then china can't make anything worth a **** "even with your help they still make garbage". Why do you help china mass produce and drive our economy further down? I know you need to eat, but I was tought "this was pertaining to hotrods" by my grandfather if you can't do it yourself then you don't need it. I think if a entire country can't figure it out, then they should be destined to failure. This is BS, we should be the ones selling everyone else products. This thread and you robert turned out to be very disappointing. Right now I don't think much would change my mind about you, but I would like to hear some kind of argument.
    Hold your horses universalfab,

I'm on your side and I agree with you 100%. Read my post from 10/20 again. The subject is "forget Chinese mold factories" and the post goes on to explain why.

When I'm in China, as I currently am now, I'm only here to help a customer in the USA, NOT the Chinese mold factory. These customers have problems and want to get their mold/s out of China asap! This gives me the opportunity to point out all the problems with doing business in China and redirect future molds to be made in the USA where they should have been made in the first place. My goal is to keep this work in the USA and keep US companies busy!

I have a very strict policy concerning China. I never provide them with help or any form of education, never tell them how things are done in the USA or how to do something and never explain why the customer wants something a particular way. Most of the mold factories in China can't or are unwilling to follow instructions anyway and doom themselves.

I even block the IP addresses of all Chinese mold factories so they don't have access to the information on my website. I don't know of any other company who does this. By not doing so many US companies are inadvertently providing a free education to the very same people who are taking the work from them!

Also just to let you know, next week I'm being introduced to the head of the NTMA who is pushing a "Re-shoring" policy of his own and I hope to join forces and share information with him to help push the cause.

I have also been asked to give a speech by the AMBA (American Mold Builders Association) regarding Chinese mold factories and all the problems associated with doing business in China. I will be doing so the next time I'm in Chicago.

There is also a major trade magazine that would like to write an article about my efforts and provide links to the information about the problems with Chinese mold factories that I have posted online.

So you see, I'm on your side and I'm doing everything I can to keep business and manufacturing here in the USA.

The real culprit here are the OEM's who pressure injection molders to take their molds offshore in the first place. It is these companies who have eroded the US economy and taken away the manufacturing jobs. For example, I have heard from more than one source that the three major US auto industry companies have dictated that up to 80% of their injection molds be manufactured in China! This takes billions of dollars out of the USA and seriously erodes US manufacturing. On the other hand the two major Japanese auto manufacturers who have manufacturing facilities in the USA have their injection molds made in the USA. No wonder the quality of their automobiles are so much better, they know where to get the job done properly.

One way to make a difference is to be aware of which companies are having their products made offshore. This will allow you to decide whether or not you want to support their decision to take away US manufacturing jobs by not purchasing their products. I recommend you search the internet for US made products no matter what it is you want to buy. Every time I need to purchase something this is the first thing I do.

I don't want to post links here on this forum to information I've posted online so I'm going to send them to you in a PM. Read them and then let me know what you think. Anyone else who is interested send me a PM and I'll provide you with the links as well.

Have a terrific day!
    Robert
    3D Accuracy