587,421 active members*
3,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

One off....need

I have need of a tool and can't buy one just like I need so I thought I would throw the design out here and see if anyone is interested. It needs to be from steel. Rough dimensions are 7.5" long, with a minor diam of .910" with two ribs sticking out of the round .100" The ribs are .160" wide and run the are flush on one end and 6.5" long. The end that has no rib is milled to .500thick by 1" long.

I can't include the dimensions in the dxf but can provide many different file extensions. The model was made in Rhino V4.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

The way I would tackle this to save some money, I would start with the shaft and mill keyslots into it. Then insert keystock either by weld or epoxy. Then finish profile the radius on the key. That would be the quickest way and the most cost effective in my opinion. My .02

Have you tried talking to any edm shops? They could easily cut that profile if they had a machine to handle 7.5 inch tall stock then all you would need to do is mill the slots on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by twicecustom View Post
    The way I would tackle this to save some money, I would start with the shaft and mill keyslots into it. Then insert keystock either by weld or epoxy. Then finish profile the radius on the key. That would be the quickest way and the most cost effective in my opinion. My .02

This is the way it will be done if it is done. I am waiting on a price quote. The sad part is, this will only be used twice!

Mike

I can work on a quote for you, What are the tolerances? Also, weld or epoxy?
    Also, what is the time frame?

In my opinion your idea isn't to smart and very cheap. If you'd even think of epoxying a simple simple part like this your not to bright. Welding it would be fine, but if your considering epoxying it you must not be able to weld to good. Machining the entire part would give you the most strength and isn't all that difficult, but will cost more then it would to weld the 2 parts together. If welding the 2 parts together is a option please let us know and we'd be able to give you a better price on this job. Which really the price I gave you was a good price, but we could come down if you chose to have the parts welded together. Let us know through a PM and I can go over it with you.

Good thing that is your opinion... I can weld just fine, I just have a customer that uses epoxy and I have seen the destruction testing, needless to say, I believe that would also work in this application.. But its up to the customer..

Good thing that is your opinion... I can weld just fine, I just have a customer that uses epoxy and I have seen the destruction testing, needless to say, I believe that would also work in this application.. But its up to the customer..
    Well this thing is a wrench, I know I'm not going to be leaning into this thing with epoxy holding it together and bust my face on God knows what in the surrounding area. Not to mention I've seen many and I mean many morons glue things together and for most of the applications they put glue on "such as this one", they failed "sometimes resulting in injury as I'm sure this will" and it should've been welded from the get go. For something like this glue isn't even in my vocabulary. To make glue the least bit useable on this part it would take more machine work then it would take to just machine the entire part out of a solid and I wouldn't hold my breath. Glue has it's purposes which are many and this isn't one. Even when you believe the sky is purple, no matter how much you believe it's purple, it's still blue.

You better do your research before you go flapping your mouth..... Like you seem to do a lot on here...

The sky appears to be blue as perceived by the human eye. This is because the light from the sky is a result of the sunlight scattering.

The sky can change and appear lots of colors, such as red, orange, yellow, pink, PURPLE (at sunrise and sunset) and black (at night).

Plus they make a "glue"-"epoxy" that would be perfect for this application.

But I'm not here for a pissing match like you are....

Welding or gluing would be good solutions,

This will only serve for the "keys" to stay inside their keyway. I dont see the glue failing if the key is inside the slot. As I said the glue or the weld would not be acting when operating the wrench, the keys acting in shear will.

At least thats how I see this part working.

I might be mistaken.

Of course universalfab might be thinking of gluing the keys onto a cylindrical shaft without the keways... again I might be mistaken.

guys lighten up! I promise you there will be no epoxy in this. This wrench is a tool designed to take a barrel off of a really old shot gun with a screw in barrel. The shot gun has little or no value, and I am trying to change that without pouring a fortune into it.

I help coach a trap shooting team that has several young (7-8) graders on the Jr team and some of them are timid about recoil. I am building this as recoil free as possible including a collapsible buttplate that I build myself from aluminum. It has been tested both for function and safty. Now I just need to get the barrel worked on and taking the barrel off before shipping will simplify things.

If I can't get the wrench made so it is affordable, I will just have to ship the whole thing to the smith.

Mike

ps you guys neede to take a break and look at the lighter side of life for a while!

twicecustom I apologize for not getting back sooner. I am waiting on the first gentleman that suggested the process you mentioned. Out of respect for him I need to let him get a price back to me. If it is still not affordable, I will repost a new drawing. The keys will be shorter and configured slightly differently from side to side.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

I can work on a quote for you, What are the tolerances? Also, weld or epoxy?
    Also, what is the time frame?

This rfq has been filled!

i absolutely love people that get on these forum boards and tell people how dumb they are or that they have no business asking for rfq's because they dont have a good drawing etc... (which certain people happen to do all the time) and then their grammar is horrible! "weld to good" its "weld too well" there universal guy. eff me man. if youre gonna break balls, use the english language correctly. and fyi!!! there are several expoxies out there that would work in this situation. you think the space shuttle and **** like that gets welded together 100%? dumbass.

im glad you got your rfq filled as a side note.