587,184 active members*
3,550 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cad program (Free for now)

Below is a link to a basic cad program. The name for now is AppCad. It is out for beta testing and will be free to download while in beta. Once out of beta the cost will start under $50. Looking to get feedback on what works and does not. What features would you like to have?

Please email me with any questions at [email protected]

Here is a list of features being added now: Rectangular nesting, more import/export options, 3D drawing

AppCad download link is on the bottom of this page. http://www.cabinetpartspro.com/OtherProducts.aspx

Ryan Patterson
    CabinetPartsPro
    [email protected]

your link download is not working, it does looks like you are collecting information... only.
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!

I have just tried the link button and it worked for me. Do you get a message or anything indicating why it is not working? I am not collecting any information other than counting how many times the file was downloaded. I would post then direct link but the download link will change with new versions and I would not want a broken link to be on a forum. If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected]

I just downloaded it with no problems.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Smile Downloads, Installs, and Runs Just Fine

Ryan,

Thank you for an uncomplicated and easy to use CAD program! As the owner of a few high-end CAD programs, I appreciate one that is set up to just let me make a drawing!

One feature that might be nice to have added is layers whose visibility can be turned on and off. That would provide for both overlays to a drawing and for aids such as construction lines not needed in the final iteration.

Best,
    Rich

Thank you for the comments. I will add the layers for the next update. Do you think having line types are worth having?

Ryan,

After some thought, I am inclined to say that a selection of line types would be a worthwhile addition. A lot of information gets conveyed almost without thought by the kinds of lines we see in a drawing. The usual selection that comes to mind include object lines, center lines, extension lines, hidden lines, and section lines. (Section lines also raise the question of hatching patterns.) This would move the program towards a drafting and design tool.

On the other hand, a different direction might be worthy, too. Object lines alone might be enough if translating them into G code is to be the ultimate objective. Of course, a specifically designated layer for that feature/purpose could be combined with other layers using a variety of line types to document the part being produced.

Naturally, it is far easier to imagine features than to implement them, so these are ideas and are provided simply for your consideration.

Rich

Hi Ryan, your AppCad could be very easy and simple to learn, but unfortunately it doesn't run on my computer. I have Windows7, and had no problem to download it and install it, just when i try to run the program it always comes back with the screen (attached picture) and do not let me go any further. I hope there is fixable solution for it and if someone would recognize the error, would appreciate very much to explain what to do. I sure would like to try out this promising program. Sorry about my lengthy post.

Thanks in advance:
    Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Error.JPG  

Looks Great - minor difficulty.

Ryan, Downloaded the beta version OK, it LOOKS GREAT - I was looking for a grid and found where to turn it on, but I didn't see what units you are using, and tried it as mm, set the spacing at 0.5mm and went to set the next pair of parameters which might have been 90 x 180 or something similar, to 100 x 200, and had a lockup. I rebooted and got those in OK, set the grid colour to yellow, went to set the page colour and had lockup before the dropdown pallette appeared. I'm using XP Home. Before I tried any setting up I drew a rectangle OK. My biggest use of CAD these days is Printed Circuit board design, and line thickness adjustment is a necessity. I have looked at several programs which don't seem to let you vary it enough. Haven't tried it yet with yours as need to get familiar with the frame size etc first. Any suggestions I'm willing to try, but I only check in every couple of weeks. Cheers !

Ryan,
    I just wanted to make you aware of another CAD program out there which is free. It is called draftsight.com, and it looks to be a good program. If your goal is to eventually make money with your CAD program, you may want to check out the other program so that you can add features which they don't have.
    Best Regards,
    Ron Chacich

AppCad Update

Update includes Layers and a few 3D objects and 3D editing tools. You can also import stl files and export the first selected 3d object to an stl file. The next update I will improve on the layers and have a lot more 3D drawing and editing tools.

AppCad download link is on the bottom of this page. http://www.cabinetpartspro.com/OtherProducts.aspx

If you get any errors there are a couple files that would be useful to help track the error. In this folder C:\ProgramData\CabinetPartsPro, Inc\MyCad\1.0.0.0 you will have a test.xml file and an error log text file. If you could email these two files to me at [email protected].

Eric,
    I am not sure why you are getting this error. You can try deleting the test.xml file from the settings folder. A new settings file will be created when you restart. If you still get the error please send me the two files I mentioned above.

Ron,
    I should be able to add the line thickness to the Layers. I will get this in the next update.

Ryan Patterson
    CabinetPartsPro
    [email protected]