587,694 active members*
3,727 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Haimer Zero Master - Digital (31936)

Hybrid View

I just bought an analog Haimer a couple of months ago, the 3D Taster, and I can't say enough about it. Tormach wasn't selling them at the time and I couldn't find them for sale anywhere on the web so I had to <gasp>call</gasp> a machine tool company out of state and have them drop ship one to me.

The analog version is more expensive but I prefer that so much more than digital. All my measuring tools are analog, I like to see dials move I guess. And it feels more accurate. This one tool does everything (X,Y and Z) very well.

After fumbling about with crappy electronic edge finders with batteries that go dead or short out and tips that weren't concentric the Haimer takes all of the frustration out of the setup process. Especially considering that it works just as well on plastics as it does on metals. I've spent more money on crappy edge finders over the past 5 or 6 years than a Haimer costs and I'm confident it'll be in my tool box for quite some time. My only advice would be to buy a spare tip because you won't know what to do with yourself during the time that one breaks and the time the new one shows up in the mail.

Don't forget to buy a TTS collar to go with it too.
    111011 101101 101001

Quote Originally Posted by Cairns View Post
    I just bought an analog Haimer a couple of months ago, the 3D Taster, and I can't say enough about it. Tormach wasn't selling them at the time and I couldn't find them for sale anywhere on the web so I had to <gasp>call</gasp> a machine tool company out of state and have them drop ship one to me.

The analog version is more expensive but I prefer that so much more than digital. All my measuring tools are analog, I like to see dials move I guess. And it feels more accurate. This one tool does everything (X,Y and Z) very well.

After fumbling about with crappy electronic edge finders with batteries that go dead or short out and tips that weren't concentric the Haimer takes all of the frustration out of the setup process. Especially considering that it works just as well on plastics as it does on metals. I've spent more money on crappy edge finders over the past 5 or 6 years than a Haimer costs and I'm confident it'll be in my tool box for quite some time. My only advice would be to buy a spare tip because you won't know what to do with yourself during the time that one breaks and the time the new one shows up in the mail.

Don't forget to buy a TTS collar to go with it too.
    Thanks for the info... I am warming to dials

I'll check with Tormach as well. Since it is listed on the TTS page, I would think it already has a TTS collar on it or included. But will double check.

I've got the Haimer 3D Universal analog sensor and would hate to give it up, even though it is not yet TTS-ed.

I use it to find edges, check vise alignment, etc. and also think that an analog readout is much better for this sort of thing than a digital readout.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I've got the Haimer 3D Universal analog sensor and would hate to give it up, even though it is not yet TTS-ed.

I use it to find edges, check vise alignment, etc. and also think that an analog readout is much better for this sort of thing than a digital readout.

Mike
    Mike,

Thanks.. I had not even thought of the benefits of vise alignment.

I did talk to Tormach and they are working a TTS for it, but for now can mount with just a standard 3/8 TTS. Might have me a Christmas present heading this way soon

Just curious... wouldn't a touch probe work better in finding zero for X,Y and Z? Is there a reason to go with this edge finder other than cost?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by apeman88 View Post
    Just curious... wouldn't a touch probe work better in finding zero for X,Y and Z? Is there a reason to go with this edge finder other than cost?

Ken
    That's kind the info I was looking for, for me it is not only cost, but the fact I can use it with non-conductive material such as wax or plastic. So with that requirement, it makes this a very reasonable selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    That's kind the info I was looking for, for me it is not only cost, but the fact I can use it with non-conductive material such as wax or plastic. So with that requirement, it makes this a very reasonable selection.
    All touch probes work with non conductive material as well and range from $150 (garage made), to Renishaw or Marposs for thousands but can be had used in good condition on eBay for between $200 to $500... my question is... the Haimer seems to be able to read the distance of probe deflection... is this the reason to use this tool? Or is it simply for zero only?

Ken

Sorry.. don't mean to Hijack the tread... just want to know when to use what.

What kind of overtravel protection does the Tormach Haimer Zero Master - probe have?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    What kind of overtravel protection does the Tormach Haimer Zero Master - probe have?
    Only have the info listed on the Haimer info page:

"The extended overrun distance in connection with the proven preset breaking point of the probe give additional security."

That's about all i have been able to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    It depends on the length of your probe, they sell two sizes. As you start to touch your part the dial starts moving in a clockwise direction, when you make two full revolutions of the dial and the indicator is on zero, you are directly over the part. You get an additional two laps of the dial in overrun, then the replaceable tip breaks off. I don't remember and I don't have the specs with me but I think its ~.01" per lap with the short tip. So there's a fair amount of wiggle room to figure out if you are going the right way or not.

One of the nice things about it is: as the tip contacts a part, the dial indicator always moves in the same direction , regardless of whether you are coming at it from the top, left, right, front or back. So you never have to watch too closely to see if you are going the right way. Clockwise you are getting closer, counter is moving away.
    111011 101101 101001

Quote Originally Posted by apeman88 View Post
    All touch probes work with non conductive material
    Are you sure?

Are you sure?
    Positive... I started with an econo probe (Wildhorse Innovations - The DRO-350 Store - Econo-Probe 3D Probe & Tool Height Setter) a few years ago... just purchased off eBay a Marposs E83 wireless TX and E83 RXI receiver with a EL25 probe module... and have seen a friend's Renishaw and all of them are based on 3 point kinematical support to break contact once the tip is disturbed and all of them do not conduct through tip in order to work. In fact... I have ruby tips on both the Econo Probe and my Marposs. The touch probes however, do not measure the amount of deflection where the Haimer does. I am wondering if there is an advantage to reading the deflection. Anyone?

Ken

Are you sure?
    I would think not. Depends on the probe. If it is al self contained, and deflecting the tip actuates something in the probe, then yes. The cheap electronic ones I have used complete a circuit when the tip touches a metallic surface. Had to break out a wiggler for plastics.....