587,155 active members*
4,865 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

SYIL X4 - Modifications

Finally got into making the changes to the X-Axis on the X4 to allow the extra travel that the manufacturer doesn't give you. My mate Nigel worked out the mods the other day on his unit and last night we worked into the wee hours of the morning to modify my unit.

So in short the crappy 180cm of original travel has been increased by another 140mm with a little bit of work to the outside supports. Why this couldn't be addressed at the factory is short of stupidity.

Next I need to look at why the quick shot system only lubes the Z-axis properly. After that the Y-Axis will have a new ball screw added to give me another 30mm of travel.

/Mike

Pictures Mikie?? Please. Curiosity will get to me.:argue:

Oh, Yeah, I missed that PEU - sorry forgot you name. It was X 180+140.. Silly me. It is just the external bits.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

X travel is 320mm, its the limitswitches stops that are less apart.
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●

Quote Originally Posted by mikie View Post

Next I need to look at why the quick shot system only lubes the Z-axis properly.
    /Mike
    There is more resistance to flow in the X-Y part, so it freely flows to the least resistant part, the Z-axis.
    Each circuit needs spring loaded restrictors so that so that equal pressure is seen by all outlets, or cheat and put a tap in the Z lines.

Luckily, the pump is below the outlets, otherwise, with the poorly machined non return valves in the pump it would leak everywhere.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

I've been wanting to do that for a long time. Could you please describe the process that you used?
    Thank you

No, I've only rebuilt a new system, !! sorry, but I just know that's the problem.
    The one I repaired had the pump slightly above the table and was emptying the pump via siphon action, because the spring loaded non-return valve seats were just finished with a drill.
    The design was quite sound, but the machining was atrocious. It looks like another Chinese copied product, but the machining tolerances on the original were lost in the translation.:arguewedge)
    But you have need an adjustable restriction in the line of least resistance.
    A spring loaded adjustable return valve from a pneumatic cylinder will work. A screw behind a spring allows adjustment of the pressure on a ball on a seat.

Update with video

Hi guys,

Sorry for the tardy reply time but I had issues getting the video clip off of my new camera and just worked out that I needed a patch update from microsoft for it to read exFAT formats.

Now, I have uploaded the X Axis modification output on to Youtube:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbKkyUx94GQ&hd=1"]YouTube - SYIL X4 - X Axis Modification[/nomedia]

Neil,

Your a wealth of knowledge - Thats a great idea on how to modify the "One Shot System". As you know Nigel has one of these units too and it does exactly the same on his unit - leakes all over the place on the Z-Axis.

Peu,

I actually modified the mounting brackets on the X-Axis to increase the travel limit and drilled/tapped the bed for the new limit switch triggers. Now having said I get 460mm travel I don't feel you can use it all to cut as the ridgidity is lacking, so it will be good for some jobs and I'll just have to work out which ones. I'm also going to re-wire the limit switches and motors as the X-Axis motor just about pulls the wiring out of the stepper motor. I bought some new flexible conduit and gromits and there is my job for tomorrow (maybe I think it's going to be 38c here - too hot)

Yep: Don't look at my maths, I must have been smoking the green weed when i posted that load of crap.

Do you have any photos that show what you actually modified to achieve the extra travel?

Hmm,
    That extra X-axis travel is tempting. One day...
    And a bit more from the Y too.
    I need a spare mill to make the mods. Xmas in July? - again?

Mikie,
    38c temperature arround Christmas sounds like Perth weather. Am I correct??

Martin
    Martin

or Buenos Aires
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●

Greetings PEU!!!!
    Hope you are well.

Martin
    Martin

John,

I'll take some close up shots soon for you. It's quite simple in the big scheme to complete as we did most of the work with a hacksaw and file to clear the end plate when traversing the bed.

I'm in Melbourne, but then anywhere in Australia would be a good guess. I would love a Christmas in the snow (once only). Maybe when the kids a older.

/M

Question

Hi guys, I am very new to all this and have a couple of questions if you do not mind.

I have a couple of designs on Solidworks that I am wishing to take to the next stage.
    Model one will be plastic and 200mm round, I am now ready to prototype;
    Model 2 is a mixture of small gears and pinions as well as alloy casings.

I have had a quote to take the first design to a prototype and it is so darn expensive, I am starting to think about buying a small milling/routing machine and just try to do as much as possible myself. I do not wish to take the designs to manufacture and would like to sell them so someone else can manufacture them. If I can make them them as well as design them, then the savings would be huge and it would also allow me to make changes on the fly.

I have been eying off the Syil X4 but it's standard milling length is not long enough from what I figure. The largest part (alloy)(second model) I need to deal with is (approx);
    340mm on the Z axis
    120mm on the X axis
    140mm on the Y axis

If I were to make this modification, would the machine deal with these measurements ok?
    I imagine a machine like this would allow me to make the templates (wood) to then forge/mold my own alloy cases which could then be finished on the same machine (bearing seats etc), as well as the pinion gears & round rack, idle gears & spline shafts.
    What extra tools/bits would I need to create spline shafts?
    What extra tools/bits would I need to make gears (approx 24mm dia 1.75 tooth depth alloy/brass)?
    As mentioned above, I have no idea about using this sort of equipment, how easy are they to use for a complete novice?
    I do have reasonable mechanical skills, but the last time I used anything like this was a lathe 35 years ago at school.

Any advise greatly appreciated.
    Regards Ed

Hi elm_

If you put an '_' at the end (or start) of your name some of this forum functions find 'elm', no matter how hard you try.:wave:

Forum search stuff seems to bin the '_'

Look yourself up.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/members/elm_.html

When I look up your details it says you are in USA.:argue:

Is this enough travel?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...54&postcount=3
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...011#post397011

Thanks for the link Neil, looks like an easy enough mod to get the extra length.

Also thanks for the heads up on the forum name, I will have to contact a moderator to see if they can change it.

I have only started to inquire about CNC's and have noticed a few SX3's similar to yours. What other modification's would you advise for one, they are quite a bit cheaper than the SX4 and from the little I know, seam suitable for my needs at this stage.

You only had one post, now two. Just start again.
    Tuff luck that elm is already taken.
    Try a number on the end like I did. I've had plenty of luck with 20, across the board.

nice work!

so just to clarify how much travel can you get in the x and y?
    your x seems like it was less than what is now std?

by my local distributer, the std x4 the spec's are quoted as...
    X Travel 280mm
    Y Travel 160mm
    Z Travel 270mm

how far do you think you push the Y with modifications?

You might gain 20 - 25mm in Y with a lot of work.
    Making a clearance hole in the tower for a longer ball screw.
    Then the stability at then end of travel becomes an issue.
    The current design is a good balance and if you need a bigger machine go to to the next size up.
    You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.:boxing:
    The Z travel mod is easy, and has little affect on stability.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    You might gain 20 - 25mm in Y with a lot of work.

The current design is a good balance and if you need a bigger machine go to to the next size up.
    doesn't seem worth the effort. trouble is the x5 doesn't seem like it has any more movement. and the x6 is almost twice the price of the x4.

Page 1 of 2 12