587,167 active members*
3,498 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ER16 ATC... does it exist?

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find an ATC for my taig with ER16

I have tried the IMS toolchanger. If you are cutting foams or soft wood, maybe it works. It did not work for me and the tool holder spun in the holder. Calling IMS< I was told the spring pressure was too low. I had to buy a new spring. Though it did hold tighter, it still slipped and when the tool slips it breaks. In my research I did come across this link, USOVO.de - Werkzeugwechsel Spindel fr Sherline 5000er
    This looks like the best system I have seen so far besides Joe Vicars system which is no longer made (some parts are available but not all).
    I have a Dyna 2400 and it was available with ER16 quick change tool holders. Looks like a baby cat 30/40? the retention nut when unscrewed pulls the tool holder out. Works very well but no tool holders are available. It would not work for automatic changes but works very well for quick changes with no use of a drawbar or hammer to remove tools.

So in other words, not really?
    I like the joe vicars system, has anyone used it, made it?

BTW I was having problems in metals with the IMS not in woods and foams. What wouldnt work about the spindle I just linked you to? Air solenoid of some form to trigger the tool change.

Just making sure: You have seen the Taig conversion of the joe vicar ATC?

Usovo SK15 toolholder (ER-11 collets) has the same size and 8 degree angle as ER-16 collet, fits exact in to ER-16 chuck.
    I have bouth two items from Usovo - ATC for Sherline and Toolchanger Spindle WZW105 (bought without motor, I made and installed myself) + 6x toolholder box ...
    Sherline ATC has spiral spring, 75mm free lenght, 17.9mm OD, 10 turns from 1.6mm steel wire, when air in then spring lenght is 22mm -> when holding then ca 28mm.
    Air cylinder/piston 20mm diameter , 3.14 cm2, that means when 6 at pressure then force to piston is 18.84 kg. Holding force I did try to measure with dynamometer was only ca 9 kg when spring pressed to 28mm.
    Main problem by my opinion is how the first part of shaft is connected with cilinder (with second part of shaft) ... 20 mm OD part goes into 20mm id and fixed with three 4mm set screws ... nothing more ... oh yes, Loctite of course.
    Im not sure what will be come when a little bid bigger force acts to spindle during milling protcess, some little mistake or too hard milling ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SherlUso-Model.jpg   ShUsCut-Model.jpg   IMG_1689.jpg   IMG_1690.jpg  

IMG_1692.jpg  

Perhaps someone does not understand how it works.
    Air pressure comes in to spindle housing. Both bearing has thin washer from inner side, air pressure does tight these washers to bearing.
    There is one very small air-channel inside piston/grip (on the centre of piston)
    from where small amount of air can go out through for cause pressure unbalance on the piston sides, this channel is adjustable with tiny screw ...
    cheers,
    herbert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SherlUso-m2.jpg   SherlUso-M3.jpg   piston_grip-Model.jpg  

Problem: its sherline not Taig as stated in OP

Quote Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
    Problem: its sherline not Taig as stated in OP
    Guess that answers your question.

Did you see this? They have an adapter available for Taig mills. But the price!

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/produc..._sherline.html

bob

What a joke... that costs about half of a new very large desktop machine

Re: ER16 ATC... does it exist?

Hello my friend.
    I want to do it.
    would you give me the data?
    thank you.