587,466 active members*
3,319 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Convert 8025T to PC Based Controller

OK - just joined the Zone.
    Have a hobby lathe - with a few issues.
    Hardinge AHC with an AccuSlide Conversion - Fagor 8025T -bad keypad.
    I have searched for new keypad - about $1,000.00 - and that doesn't fix the over burnt CRT, or really fit my budget.
    Currently everything on the lathe seems to work, except the F1 and F2 keys. Of course those are the keys that operate pretty much everything.
    I am thinking of converting to a PC based controller - but don;t know what it will take.
    So I am looking for someone that has run this path before - and blazed a trail for me to follow.

Fagor 8025T
    Glentek Drives - GA369-1LPHV
    QMC Motors - Model 2921 and 2922
    Vector VFD Spindle Drive

Questions -
    Can I use the Glentek drives with a breakout board ?
    Do I need to convert to digital drives ?
    These motors have tachometers - from what I can tell. will they work with any of the newer stuff ?
    Is there a breakout board - or drive inteface that is recommended over others?

Sorry for asking all the questions, I have been trying to do research - but can't really find anything but more questions.

Thanks,

Stinger

Hi Stinger- you have a PM.

Retrofit Info...
    In my opinion, you'll be making a mistake trying to retrofit that machine. The FAGOR controller you have will do anything you would ever want and more. I have had one of these machines at the shop I used to work at and loved that controller after I got used to it. It was the first actual CNC I ever ran and I was doing all kinds of stuff with it and the management of our company was so amazed. Before they let me run it, it was a $40,000 paper weight. Made my company lots of money with a machine just like that...

Granted- the Fagor 8025 is a good control but heading for the dinosaur pile as parts are dwindling away for that old design rapidly.

Give Brad at Dynamic Machine a call he services these machines and may have a keypad available, the screens are becoming rare and it difficult to get new screens, I always wanted to try to figure out how to replace the screen with a small LCD

hi; I have recently purchased a few of the glentek Ga 369 drives, but they came with no
    paperwork, in the Glentek site there is no mention to such drives (to old) , can someone please point me where to get these manuals?.
    thanks in advance
    Mariano

Glentek Assistance Application

Fill out this form on the Glentek site:
    Application Assistant Form
    R/Todd

thank you for your answer, I have sent the info to Glentek
    regards
    mariano

hi;
    there is nothing in the Glentek site about the Ga 369 drives, I contacted them about 1 week ago but no reply yet , any ideas?
    regards
    Mariano

Call Them

Lots of phone #s and email addresses here:

Contacts

R/Todd

Getting Back to the OP's Thread

So, getting back to the OP's thread, what's the status?

STINGER, What have you discovered about a PC based conversion?

I have an F8025M on a CNC router and it currently works great. But, I too worry about the day that I may need a part for this controller.

I've been watching eBay, etc. for a newer controller that maybe has been removed from a dead machine and is for sale. I've seen a F8035 control for sale before, but can't find it (anymore) now. That might be a better solution, rather than trying to do a PC based conversion.

Just wondering what you've found out and how you're progressing.
    Thanks.
    R/ Todd

Quote Originally Posted by TAProwler View Post

I have an F8025M on a CNC router and it currently works great. But, I too worry about the day that I may need a part for this controller.
    R/ Todd

I think thats exactly what every 8025 user is feeling right now granted they know of the support ending for this device with Fagor. The second a part needs to be replaced, any 8025 user can be instantly screwed and faced with a huge financial dilemma of an upgrade/repair.

I get worried about when I will need a part for 8025 and Fagor no longer has stocked parts. I dont trust the used units from ebay etc because they are usually half broken.

The best thing to do with an 8025 is upgrade to the 8035..... 8025 was our ugly duckling work horse control back in the 80's and early 90's, but it has run its course. Had a great run though.... those things were indestructable.... they'd get a little ugly with that old amber phosphorus monitor burn-in, but they just kept working.

But, we do offer a modern CNC upgrade to it, callled the 8035, which was specifically created to be an upgrade control from the 8025. It maintains the same size as the 8025.... and we supply it with the adapter cables. Hence, it is a 1 day retrofit. It just slides into where the current 8025 is, you plug in the adapters, converter some parameters and you're done. The 8035 utilizes a modern user interface (based upon the popular G-code sides of the 8055 series) and has a lcd color monitor.

These are sold by our Service Department and I know they have a special trade-in price right now.....for more information, call 800-423-2467 and speak with service department about this upgrade.

hi; after trying for an answer since I posted the last request in this thread,(6 months) the only thing Ive got from Glentek was a email saying that they forwarded the request to the
    supervisor, looks like that this mob is very busy..... Can some one please helpmme with this?
    thank you
    Mariano

Normally you can replace the older DC motor drives with modern A-M-C versions, they offer all models of DC and BLDC, where the BLDC will run a DC brushed also, with BLDC you have the option of replacing the motors with BLDC type at a later date if needed.
    The 8025 usually uses ±10vdc control which is compatible with the A-M-C.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi ;Thanks for the answer.
    The problem is that I bought some drivers and can't use them until I know a bit about them, (pinouts, etc), and the people from Glentek are not very helpful
    regards
    mariano