587,997 active members*
1,779 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > nema 42 Mount, Need Stepper

nema 42 Mount, Need Stepper

Hey All,

I am in need of some quick help! I have a Excalibur Cutting table that is full of obsolete motors, drivers, and controls. However it is a great machine, just needs some updating.

For my first task i am trying to find a nema 42 motor that is strong enough and fits my application.

what i am looking for help on is, How much Power do i need? The 42 motor will be hauling a 250-300# gantry for the X axis, It is currently geared to travel 2"
    per rev. I would like to get the machine running at 10-20 ips under a work load (it will be cutting 1/8" LDPE with a tangential knife) and jog around 30 ips.

with my calculations i would need
    300-600 rpm - under load
    and 900 rpm - jog

the motors i am looking at and have been pointed towards are 1200-2400 oz in.

HELP! im very green in the electronic side of things. plenty of mechanical ability and can understand anything explained to me, however this is not something i want to run as a trial and error.

Thanks in advance !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails excalibue cutter 1.jpg  

I have a small company that buys and retrofit all sorts of machines. In our experience, the larger Nema 34 stepper motors (we like Keling and Homeshopcnc) with an adapter plate are better than a new 42-size motor. Our more recent builds have moved up the price/performance chain a bit and we have had great experiences with the TECO servo drives from MachMotion. The 750watt motor/drives have a larger shaft and available adapter plate that helps replacing a 42-size motor. Good luck with your project!

Quote Originally Posted by sbalder View Post
    I have a small company that buys and retrofit all sorts of machines. In our experience, the larger Nema 34 stepper motors (we like Keling and Homeshopcnc) with an adapter plate are better than a new 42-size motor. Our more recent builds have moved up the price/performance chain a bit and we have had great experiences with the TECO servo drives from MachMotion. The 750watt motor/drives have a larger shaft and available adapter plate that helps replacing a 42-size motor. Good luck with your project!
    I like the idea of a nema 34 motor, I have looked at the motors form machmotion and like them! any thoughts on how much power i would need to meet my requirements for this machine?

They have a 1000 watt 1000rpm motor that should fit within your needs for the gantry. I am sure that you could go for one of the 750 watt motors on the other axis.