587,853 active members*
3,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My CNC plasma build

Hello!

Well I have been researching the forum for months now and after plenty of designing on CAD, I decided to start my build.

I have ran into a few minor problems, firstly when welding my table I put a little to much weld (heat) on the two middle struts. I tried really hard to minimise the warping but it distorted the middle of my table <3mm vertically. Because of this I decided to run a peice of 10mm flat bar down the length of the table to butt my rack and vee rails for a straighter and easier fit.

Specs:
    candcnc bladerunner kit - x,y,z 620oz motors
    3:1 gear ratio
    Table is 1.5mx2.8m
    hypertherm powermax85 (doesn't arrive until late March)

The Z axis travel is only 40mm so I am going to set my machine to cut a maximim of 1.25", this is restricted due to my ball screw travel.

My electronics arrive in the next couple of days and I hope to see movement soon after.

If you have any suggestions please tell me. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg  

10.jpg  

What kind of Vee rail are you using??

You can shim your rails as needed wherever it bolts to the table if it's warped.

The vee rails are by superior bearing model T2 from memory.

If I was to ever build another, I would bolt the table together rather than risk warping. I'm glad there was only very little distortion but zero is better.

My motors arrived today from candcnc the system looks great and seems very plug and play, although I am nervous about setting up my THC and tuning.

I am also waiting on my motor pulley's as I unfortunately ordered the wrong size. :idea:

I setup my Z axis today, it has 37mm of travel and I am hoping this will be enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.JPG   002.JPG   003.JPG  

I had a little bit of spare time today and added the E chain support and I squared the ganrty.

My only problem is when I have tension on the rack and pinnon, I am able to push one side of the gantry about 5-10mm without the other side moving at all. Is this normal?

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004.JPG   005.JPG   006.JPG  

Pl chek whether jamming is throuout the lenght or at certain locations on gantry. If at certain places your rails are not parallel, and if throuout the lenght, centre distance that of rail & wheel assembly are mismatching.

hmm I don't think it's jamming, it just has some play when moving one side of the gantry by hand. It is perfect when pushed from either end or from the middle, therefore I think it will be fine when both motors are turning. Although this is my first build so I could be completely wrong.

Well as I thought when both motors where hooked up the gantry ran really smooth. All axis are moving but I still have to wait for my plasma and a few other parts.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwvxWCZgkho"]YouTube - CNC table first movement[/nomedia]

Talking

I have finished wiring up my home limits.

I receive my hypertherm powermax85 next week:banana: With all things going to plan I should be cutting this time next week.

Where should the E-stop wire into? I was thinking into the main power of my cancnc control.

Cheers
    Dave

The E-stop connects to the "EPO" terminals on your "Table I/O" board.

It probably has a small jumper wire between them so it will operate without an E-stop switch installed, as that is how my Bladerunner came from Tom.

It is displayed on page 15 of this c and CNC manual.
    http://www.candcnc.com/PDF/BladeRunn...Pages21-40.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BBchevy396_ View Post
    The E-stop connects to the "EPO" terminals on your "Table I/O" board.

It probably has a small jumper wire between them so it will operate without an E-stop switch installed, as that is how my Bladerunner came from Tom.

It is displayed on page 15 of this c and CNC manual.
    http://www.candcnc.com/PDF/BladeRunn...Pages21-40.pdf
    Thanks for that. I just need to find a box now to mount the Estop to.

A few updated pics, still waiting on a part back from candcnc and my hypertherm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 008.JPG   009.JPG   010.JPG   011.JPG  

dpac is that a magnetic break away on your Z axis? Tell me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by plain ol Bill View Post
    dpac is that a magnetic break away on your Z axis? Tell me about it.
    I found it at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hypert...torch_any.html

email: [email protected] (MICK)

Quality is great and looks like it will work just as good. It was very easy to square as well.

Hey there, I'm curious as to the table design itself. Did you design this table or did you aquire the plans for it from somewhere? if so, where?

I'd like to build a cnc plasma cutter table, but I'd also like it to double as a cnc router table as well.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Horsedorf
    Hey there, I'm curious as to the table design itself. Did you design this table or did you aquire the plans for it from somewhere? if so, where?

I'd like to build a cnc plasma cutter table, but I'd also like it to double as a cnc router table as well.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Rick
    I designed the table myself and just incorporated ideas I liked from other builds on the forum.

It has gone quite smoothly with only a few minor hiccups so far.

Managed to do some testing today. Circle's still require some modifications, machine is repeatable in accuracy 0.2mm over 2 meters.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nG_qjuKU_k&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - Circle candcnc[/nomedia]

I have finished my table. When I was testing there was plenty of plasma dust and sparks so I decided to build a water table because I was worried about the electronics getting covered in dust or getting struck by some molten steel.

The THC is up and running and I'm really hpppy with it. I have a video taken from my iphone (sorry about the quality)

Thanks to Tom and Jim colt for there help.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dSofbX_LCI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - Cnc plasma hypertherm[/nomedia]

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dpac View Post
    I designed the table myself and just incorporated ideas I liked from other builds on the forum.

It has gone quite smoothly with only a few minor hiccups so far.
    What is your email?

water table

does anyone know where i can find specks on building a water table it needs to be 72 by 144 and i was trying to find the makeup of the rust free solution used for the table shop sabre sell it but its 600 for 2, 5 gallons