588,582 active members*
12,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > I found an old logan 850 lathe for 100 bucks is it worth it?

I found an old logan 850 lathe for 100 bucks is it worth it?

I found an old logan 850 lathe for 100 bucks is it worth it? I haven't bought it yet planned on paying for it friday. It has a new motor on it and seems to in good working order though dusty.

Not sure exactly what the machine looks like, but it seems to be a no-brainer - buy it. You could blow it off and re-sell it if you don't like it.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Logan parts available on e-bay sometimes

I have seen Logan lathe parts and accessories for sale on e-bay at various times. Not exactly sure of the Model of lathes though. Think there are several different models.

Jerry

Logan is still around, at least for parts. Scott Logan posts at some of the metal working forums and has a web page - http://www.lathe.com/

I don't know that model, but the Logan lathes generally seem to be regarded well.

I'll come by and haul that old piece of junk off for you.

Years ago I got my Logan for $100 along with a bunch of tooling and he delivered it. The only thing is that it had a 3 phase motor on it, it still does, motor conversions are easy. The only thing that needed immediate attention was that it needed new motor housing bushings, easy to replace. Cleaned it up, greased it and put it to work. It has a minor runout on the spindle of 2 ten-thousandths of an inch. Not bad for something that was manufactured in 1934. The previous owner made parts on it for McDonnell-Douglas. The serial number should be stamped on the ways, right side of the bed. Call Logan with it and they can tell you who the original owner was and when it was built.

Definitely go for it, run don't walk or I'll be right behind you. Just remember that they are top heavy and like to tip over when transported, even after you've taken the legs off. I speak from experience, mine rolled over toward me after taking the legs off while on the floor. I went to catch it, to keep the feed levers from getting broke off and got my arm pinned under it. OUCH My arm was sore for a couple of weeks, BUT nothing got broke. Thats all that matters, right.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.