587,687 active members*
3,494 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > 3D foamy airplanes cut with the CNC

Hybrid View

Just a quick question for you guys, What bit are you guys using to cut the foam? I have been using a single flute 1/8" bit but I have been having problems with the foam mealting and sticking to the bit. I have tried from 15-30 ipm and it still happens sometimes. using a 1/4" trim router for the spindle I havent tried slowing it down. I also have a dremel multi speed tool i am thinking about making a mount for and using that as it should have enought power to cut thru the foam.

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Darren
    Just a quick question for you guys, What bit are you guys using to cut the foam? I have been using a single flute 1/8" bit but I have been having problems with the foam mealting and sticking to the bit. I have tried from 15-30 ipm and it still happens sometimes. using a 1/4" trim router for the spindle I havent tried slowing it down. I also have a dremel multi speed tool i am thinking about making a mount for and using that as it should have enought power to cut thru the foam.

Darren
    You know if you could just make an attachment that would connect to the existing router mount and have a lead downward, and have elec. go through it to heat it up similaer to the Foam Cutting cnc's. You could make stock stand off's to raise the foam odd cutting bed.

Just a thought

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Darren View Post

Darren
    I have cut several 6mm Depron foamies out on my Haas VMC using a .050" drill bit (friction cut,more clog prone) or a .125 sintered carbide burr (from hobby shop)spinning at 7500. have to play w/ the feed (20ipm range) to keep from melting but I have had good results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_0321.jpg