587,297 active members*
3,577 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

8500lb boat anchor

Thats about what I have here. Bought this machine a while back and am having a time getting it running. I've never been able to do a tool change. I loaded the program thats in my elect. book. It still wouldn't run. It would only index the carousel around to the tool number that it was calling for. I edited the program as I was advised to and it worked to some degree. The tool oreinted, the Z axis went to it's correct position and then the carousel started over and stopped anout 2/3 the way. It thew up a "1002 Check T-NO!" alarm and it's been this way since last Saturday. It wont let me do anything but move the Z axis in "handle" mode. I can change parametes if need be but can't edit the program. It will not let me home any axis. It will let me index the carousel around though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you home the tool changer carousel.

give us the info on the machine,make,model,type of control,etc.

I can can hit the magazine button to send it back to it's home position if that's what you mean. This a Supermax Max 2. It's a 95 model. It has a Fanuc OM on it. Sorry I forgot to mention that in my opening request for help. I just got off the phone with a priest. He's on his way over to perform an Exorcism. Hope it works. LOL. Any ideas?

Looking in the logic, it appears that the ATC is stopped at step 2 in the cycle. How do I clear that? Is it waiting to complete the cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by mark029 View Post
    I can can hit the magazine button to send it back to it's home position if that's what you mean. This a Supermax Max 2. It's a 95 model. It has a Fanuc OM on it. Sorry I forgot to mention that in my opening request for help. I just got off the phone with a priest. He's on his way over to perform an Exorcism. Hope it works. LOL. Any ideas?
    LOL
    I have an old Clausing vmc, we named her Christine.

That machine started changing the wrong tool. Turned out to be a bad board.

Also had a vertical lathe that, on hot days would act up. If we kept the cabinet door open it would run ok. Also was a bad board.

Also, we're looking through the logic and want to be able to search a certain ladder without scrolling page to page. When we hit search it just says "illegal command". Any ideas on this too?

I'vw got a name picked out for this one but I don't want to post it. They could kick me out of here for it.

Probably just a tool registration issue. Been to long for me to tell you where the reg page is. That's hardnfor me to remember unless I'm standing in front of the machine.

You probably need to tell the machine what tool is in the spindle currently. If none tell it tool number 0. Not sure where it is located but if a machine asks you to check tool number it probably won't finish the cycle till the tool number is checked.
    Judleroy

Did you get manuals with the machine? What is the machine serial number?

It walks me through a procedure to fix this in the book but it doesn't work. The only thing that may not be right would be the ATC Z-axis position #1. As far as I know it's right though. There's a parameter bit that turns on when it's in position. All of this appears to be right. Dcoupar, I did get manuals with the machine. I'm new to this stuff and wondering why you would want to know the serial number. It is 503004.

Post your tool change macro. Which type ATC do you have? unbrella or carousel? Tell us Which 0M is it?

I too might suspect a bad board somewhere or some sensor that needs some TLC and or adjusting. Looking through my notes, I had my spindle drive board sent out for repair when a similar problem came to me.

When I first set up my 0M, it was hard to do tool changes, even though I was still a newbie at the time.

Make sure it's a 0 when no tool is in the spindle.

It's an umbrella type. Controller is a OM-B1 R01. I'll post the macro later because I just want to get the alarm off here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mark029 View Post
    It walks me through a procedure to fix this in the book but it doesn't work. The only thing that may not be right would be the ATC Z-axis position #1. As far as I know it's right though. There's a parameter bit that turns on when it's in position. All of this appears to be right. Dcoupar, I did get manuals with the machine. I'm new to this stuff and wondering why you would want to know the serial number. It is 503004.
    I can't see why a Z-position problem would cause the alarm you are getting.

Personally, I think it ought to be required when someone starts a new thread with a machine problem that they include the machine make, model number, serial number and control make and model number and any alarm numbers they are getting. If there's a program issue, they should also include the section of code (at least 10 blocks either side) of where the error occurs. I think too much time is spent trying to troubleshoot a problem when all the pertinent information is not supplied.

The reason I asked for YOUR machine serial number was that I thought I'd send off an email to my contacts at YCI/YCM to see if they could shed some light on the subject for us. But usually, they won't even look at it unless I can tell them the serial number of the machine in question.

Hey dcoupar, I understand your frustration. I'm still new to all of this. I've had a service tech at YCM helping me with the machine but he's been out of town all week and unreachable. I'll probably call him in the morning and he'll spit out some smple reason this is happening and a easy fix. I was just hoping that I could find someone here that maybe had this problem in the past. If and when I find a resolution I'll post it. In your post you said that I should post ten blocks on both sides of where the error occures. I assume I could go to the program and see this. Problem is when I bring up the program the cursor is at the top of the page and I can't move it. The only thing I can think of is in the ladder logic theres a input made that shouldn't be ( atleast I don't think it should be ) and above it it's listed M41. That rung is listed as ATC Step 2. Any ideas?

It may sound stupid to you, but did you check make sure that your machine is phased correctly? The spindle and axis drive don't care but all of your 3 phase motors such as coolant pumps, ATC and Tool magazine motors do! Most Asian built machines require clockwise rotation, Grainger sales a phase rotation checker for about $75.00. Saves alot of headaches, and not to mention DOWNTIME!

RRL

:cheers:

One should always check proper voltages and phase rotation. It might not be the problem but I don't think it would hurt to check to see if it's correct.

It could be anything from bad sensors, wiring, bad board, wrong tool in the spindle and not seeing the proper finish signal. It might not hurt to check to make sure things are happening properly in the ladder.

If your control has batteries you might check them too. Also make sure that when it does tool changes, Z is in the right place.

If your machine has scales make sure that it is getting proper position references from any of the encoders.

Greg

Hey guys, it seems that it's timing out on the carousel getting into place. The gease in the gear box was all dried up and causing the carousel to move over very slowly. Also, I may have a couple of bad relays the board. That's about as far as I've made it this far. As soon as I get the gearbox reassembled and back in place I'll start back trying to get the tool change issue resolved. The phase rotation must be right because the carousle travels the right direction when using the buttons. I haven't checked the voltage though and thats probably a good idea since I'm using a phase converter to run this machine.

General troubleshooting tips.

One of the first things I do when a WORKING machine stops functioning is to check the sensors/switches are working. That includes turning off as well as on.

A chip on a prox. sensor.
    A chip on a piece of metal causing the prox. sensor to trigger at the wrong time.
    A dead prox sensor.
    Shorted or broken limit switch.

That probably covers 80-90% of machine issues I have seen. Pull up the I/O screen and manually trigger the switches/sensors to make sure they are changing state.

While that MAY be your problem, your not starting from a working condition. Your troubleshooting is probably going to be more involved.

From your last post you may be seeing mechanical restrictions keeping the mechanism from reaching the stop/sensor. Failure to fix physical limitations can cause further damage to the machine or electronics.

Page 1 of 2 12