587,466 active members*
3,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > What type stepper do I need?
Page 1 of 2 12

What type stepper do I need?

Have a Bridgeport cnc with the big original steppers. Just acquired a 12" rotary table (manual). Need to remove the manual handle and install an inline stepper motor.

It appears that it take 90 revolutions of the handle to turn the table one complete turn, so it doesn't appear that I'll need any gear reduction. And I haven't built the adapter to mount the motor, and won't until I have a motor and flex coupler in hand.

Anyone have any suggestions as to the spec's I'll need for an adequate stepper motor for this rt?

Thanks

Tom

This web page:techref.massmind.org/techref/io/steppers.htm#Estimating Has a little calculator that will tell you the wattage (amps * volts) you would need for a given torque measurement. If you measure the torque, then run that through the calculator, along with the max speed you want to turn it, then you can build a system that puts out that much power.

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    If you measure the torque,
    How do I measure the torque?

And by Max Speed, you mean the rpm as measured at the hand crank?

It takes 90 turns of the crank to make one revolution of the table, and I suppose that 4 rpm of the table would be an adequate rapid speed, so then I need probably 360 rpm at the crank/stepper.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

High performance stepper articles. Part 2 - How to measure torque. Roman Black - Jan 2001 explains how to measure the torque produced by a stepper motor, but the same methods may be used to measure the torque of a load as well. Since you already have a handle, you don't really need to make the lever... just measure the weight required to make the handle turn... you can even use a postal scale or spring scale.

explains how to measure the torque produced by a stepper motor, but the same methods may be used to measure the torque of a load as well. Since you already have a handle, you don't really need to make the lever... just measure the weight required to make the handle turn... you can even use a postal scale or spring scale.
    Thanks again. So I'm just trying to measure the breakaway torque need to start the handle turning, then add a bit of a safety margin over that.

What rapid speed is deemed adequate or desirable on the A axis? Would a 4 rpm rapid for the table be adequate? Seems like the Bp does rapids at around 90 ipm.

Thanks again.

Tom

rapid speed is really for you to decide... there may be factors that matter in that decision (tool cutting speed?) but I don't know enough to advise in that area. Good luck!

rapid speed is really for you to decide... there may be factors that matter in that decision (tool cutting speed?) but I don't know enough to advise in that area. Good luck!
    Don't think that tool cutting speed is a factor, as (if I understand correctly) rapids are normally only used when NOT actually cutting.

Other question. Seems to me like the best way (on my rotary table, at least) to drive it is with the motor inline with the hand wheel shaft, using a mount turned to size with a flange on each end. But inside I need a flex coupler of some sort. Better part of 1" long on each end, 1/2" hole on one end, about 0.7" hole on the other end.

Anyone got a good source for these couplers?

Thanks

Tom

stepper coupler

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelTom View Post
    Other question. Seems to me like the best way (on my rotary table, at least) to drive it is with the motor inline with the hand wheel shaft, using a mount turned to size with a flange on each end. But inside I need a flex coupler of some sort. Better part of 1" long on each end, 1/2" hole on one end, about 0.7" hole on the other end.

Anyone got a good source for these couplers?

Thanks

Tom
    Hello Tom
    If you put " stepper coupler " into ebay search a number of types come up.
    I hope this helps.

I have a question relative to this thread, and that is is there any software or something I have missed in EMC2 that enables one to divide accurately, useing a rotary table, using a stepper motor.
    Many thanks:cheers:
    Trev

Wanna Convert my Lathe into CNC, Plz suggest ...

Hello,

I wanna convert our Lathe Machine into CNC Machine. My Lathe
    uses 1 HP (Horse Power) spindle Motor power & used for manufacturing
    steel, brass, aluminium parts. For that, we need all equipments
    e.g. Stepper Motors, drives etc... that will be suitable for my lathe.
    Please suggest a good Kit for my requirements.

Regards,
    -Nitin Jain

Quote Originally Posted by xatxtal View Post
    Hello Tom
    If you put " stepper coupler " into ebay search a number of types come up.
    I hope this helps.

I have a question relative to this thread, and that is is there any software or something I have missed in EMC2 that enables one to divide accurately, useing a rotary table, using a stepper motor.
    Many thanks:cheers:
    Trev
    Thanks, I'll try ebay.

The A axis is driven in degrees of movement (rotation). Just use a simple four function calculator to determine how much rotation you want.

For instance, to divide a circle into 5 parts, 360 / 5 = 72 degrees. So if you are starting from zero degrees, simply command
    g00 a72
    g00 a144
    g00 a 216
    g00 a288
    g00 a360

If this isn't what you're trying to do, ask again.

Tom

Thanks, I'll try ebay.

The A axis is driven in degrees of movement (rotation). Just use a simple four function calculator to determine how much rotation you want.

For instance, to divide a circle into 5 parts, 360 / 5 = 72 degrees. So if you are starting from zero degrees, simply command
    g00 a72
    g00 a144
    g00 a 216
    g00 a288
    g00 a360

Tom
    Tom
    Many thanks it seems just what I need.
    I have never looked at the A axis, I will now give it some study.
    We have an old saying " cannot see for looking " I am guilty of that!
    Thank again.:cheers:
    Trev

An easier way

Thanks, I'll try ebay.

g00 a72
    g00 a144
    g00 a 216
    g00 a288
    g00 a360

Tom
    Another way to do it is to let EMC2 do the math for you.

again, starting at 0 degrees...

g00 a(360/5)
    g00 a(2*(360/5))
    g00 a(3*(360/5))
    etc.

Rotary Table software code.

Tom
    Again many thanks.
    It seems so simple when you know how, I don't know how I missed it.
    Trev:cheers:

Please reply to my message as well

Hello,

I also posted my query below. Please reply to that post as well.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by intel1 View Post
    Hello,

I wanna convert our Lathe Machine into CNC Machine. My Lathe
    uses 1 HP (Horse Power) spindle Motor power & used for manufacturing
    steel, brass, aluminium parts. For that, we need all equipments
    e.g. Stepper Motors, drives etc... that will be suitable for my lathe.
    Please suggest a good Kit for my requirements.

Regards,
    -Nitin Jain
    Yes, I saw your query. But I have no experience in converting anything to cnc. I bought a Bridgeport which came from the factory with cnc, and I'm replacing the computer etc. But you should probably figure out the best forum in which to ask this question. But I'm not sure that there is an existing kit which will meet your needs.

Tom

Yes, I saw your query. But I have no experience in converting anything to cnc. I bought a Bridgeport which came from the factory with cnc, and I'm replacing the computer etc. But you should probably figure out the best forum in which to ask this question. But I'm not sure that there is an existing kit which will meet your needs.

Tom
    I have seen many Kits at eBay. These kits have stepper motors, drivers, board etc....
    What is your suggestion about those kits .....

Regards,

I have seen many Kits at eBay. These kits have stepper motors, drivers, board etc....
    What is your suggestion about those kits .....

Regards,
    First, I don't buy on eBay. I don't deal with sellers I can't talk to on the phone. So have no information on any of those kits.

But secondly, you need to start from the other end. Determine how much torque you need to do the job. Then you can start making decisions about what size and kind of steppers or servos you need. Personally, I buy Gecko drives.

I found this article(s) very helpful in calculating how much torque you need: Stepper Motors

Tom

Thanks Tom for your message.

Query:
    That site is calculating Watt,
    Watt = IPM * lbs/531

So question is, lbs is weight of item which i wanna manufacture or weight of whole weight Crosslide which run on Leadscrew ?

and, rpm in second formula is for spindle motor ?

Regards,
    -Nitin

First, I don't buy on eBay. I don't deal with sellers I can't talk to on the phone. So have no information on any of those kits.

But secondly, you need to start from the other end. Determine how much torque you need to do the job. Then you can start making decisions about what size and kind of steppers or servos you need. Personally, I buy Gecko drives.

I found this article(s) very helpful in calculating how much torque you need: Stepper Motors

Tom

That site is calculating Watt,
    Watt = IPM * lbs/531

So question is, lbs is weight of item which i wanna manufacture or weight of whole weight Crosslide which run on Leadscrew ?
    The weight of everything that stepper motor is going to have to move. Part, cross slide, other axis sitting on cross slide, whatever. Total weight being moved.

and, rpm in second formula is for spindle motor ?
    ??? LOL... no, the desired RPM of the lead screw which is moving the load. This is like ipm, but rotational and depends on the teeth per inch of your leadscrew. You can measure the actual torque required to rotate the lead screw so it is /much/ more accurate as it takes into account the friction and quality of the leadscrew as well as the load.

The weight of everything that stepper motor is going to have to move. Part, cross slide, other axis sitting on cross slide, whatever. Total weight being moved.

??? LOL... no, the desired RPM of the lead screw which is moving the load. This is like ipm, but rotational and depends on the teeth per inch of your leadscrew. You can measure the actual torque required to rotate the lead screw so it is /much/ more accurate as it takes into account the friction and quality of the leadscrew as well as the load.
    Thanks for your message.

For checking proper weight i have to de-assemble my lathe. I think, we can manually know the torque by using thread, lever, weights. You know this method ?

Regards,

Page 1 of 2 12