588,633 active members*
5,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > cnc lathe begging Tormach to make one:)
Page 2 of 2 12
    MM:

I currently do limited production on my manual lathe with KDK QCTP and Tormach PCNC with PDB using TTS toolholders. On the Tormach all the tools are preset, heights entered ino a tool table in MachIII , then the program instructs the operator (me) when to change tools. That works as good for me in limited production as an full blown ATC really would. With the Tormach and jog shuttle pendant the Tormach can also be used as a manual mill. Same goes in using the manual lathe with the KDK QCTP except I have the offsets entered into a tool table of the Newall DRO for each toolholder. That’s why each of my KDK bars is numbered. BTW, like the TTS toolholders on the Tormach, a lathe with the numbered KDK bars, I only touch off for one tool and the other tool offsets come from the Newall DRO tool table. I am sure this system could be ported over to CNC lathe for limited production work. Also having manual capability is a must for me in any CNC lathe. That’s why I like the Haas TL1 because it can also be used manually and the KDK QCTP would transfer.
    Touching off on the lathe is easy using the 1 mil gummed paper shims. BTW The Braustein Bros. http://tinyurl.com/4zbv5jg make 1 mil gummed paper shims that come in a 2.7" x 1.4" handy pack ;-)

Max you are right, the 5C standard was set by Hardinge which acquired the rights to the Cataract range of Precision bench lathes formerly produced by the Cataract Tool and Bicycle Company (named after the waterfalls visible from the factory grounds) Thus the C (Cataract)in 5C.… or was the C really for Chicago where Hardinge began or perhaps Catalina island and William Wrigley, Jr. Cubs baseball.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Using programs calls to instruct the operator to call a preset tool isn't too bad.
    Turrets are great, but they're actually a pain in the arse for prototyping. 6 stations wouldn't be able to hold all of the tools I commonly use on my manual lathe. I could get a lot more use from having 10 tools touched in on wedge blocks and changing them manually than I would with 6 tools in a turret that I would have to keep changing out and touching in (and setting height) for the usual sub 20pc prototyping jobs I'd do on a benchtop. For light production, gang tools typically index faster than non production turrets. Also, if you have a set of frequently run jobs and you don't mind spending some cash on very fast setups, you can change out gang tool plates so the individual tools can rapidly be changed out by bolting them to the same plate. It's kind of awesome being able to thunk down a dowel pinned plate with 6 tools already in the CNC tool crib. Try that with a turret.

All good medicine......

All good medicine here for what a very high quality affordable cnc lathe should be. I just hope for their sakes Tormach is listening. I agree that while a turret toolchanger is a very cool thing, watching videos of machines that have them I have often thought of how easy it would be to crash one into the chuck with a drill bit or longer tool while the shorter tool is doing the work. Yes I think a gang tool slide would be much more desireable for this and the idea of a removeable quick change gang tool plate would be really cool. Just has to be enough travel in the cross axis to support the use of one. I also think that a tailstock with enought travel to reach over it would be a requirement. My 12x36 has some good tailstock ram travel but it never seems enough and I am always fidgeting with the apron to get the tool where I need it when the tailstock is supporting. These ideas and I am sure many more would result in a very nice cnc lathe. The idea of a toolchanger equipped slant bed lathe is very cool of course but I think for the majority of users out there a more typical lathe setup with well covered ballscrews and the aforementioned features would be the ticket.

I also agree about the idea of a used commercial machine being a viable option. There are TONS of quality used machines out there right now for a song and when you look at what a reasonably equipped Tormach setup is going for you are VERY close to getting into a nice used VMC that has WAY more speed, capabilities, accuracy, power, and of course at least a semi enclosed to a fully enclosed mill with full flood coolant. The CNC lathe is no different, there are lots of good used lathes from the early to mid 90's out there that can run circles around even the best CNC hobby lathes for less money than what a new hobby lathe would cost. I really do not understand where these hobby machines are worth near or above ten grand honestly. I built my RF45cnc mill for a helluva lot less than that and while it is not a new CNC hobby mill it sure works like one. If and when I upgrade this mill or get a CNC lathe it will most likely be a used CNC commercial unit. They just have more bang for the buck.. OF course the flip side of all this is you have to deal with parts availability, parts cost, and the idea that you might get a worn out or damaged machine. Buyer beware here I guess and use your due dilligence in finding out what is a good machine from a worn out piece of junk. JMHO... peace

Pete

Speaking of lathes, I cant wait for Tormach as I have to buy now, so I am looking at getting the cnc masters CNC Lathes Catalogue | 1440 CNC Lathe Ordering Form | CNC MASTERS Lathe | Mini Lathe | Bench Top Lathe 1440. Anyone have any experiences with their lathes?

Any recommendations of some basic cutting tools to go along with it?

Thanks.

Tubular construction minimizes flexing in the slant bed design
    A Role to Remember : Modern Machine Shop

Anyone ever used this company? look at the bottom of the page this is the unit I am thinking of putting on a lathe. maybe a 1340 or 1236.

Low Cost Industrial CNC 20amp Servo Systems, Shipping WORLDWIDE

Has anyone here modified a 9 x 20 to CNC ?

If so where did you buy your mounts, motors (sizes ?) from ?

I'm thinking for now maybe I'll just mod my HF lathe until Tormach's release or I win a small chunk on the lotto for a Haas package.

Ya know....

Now that I have retrofitted a milling machine to run Mach3 and CNC if I were to want a cnc lathe I would either convert my current 12x36 lathe or purchase a used Hardinge toolroom lathe. I have seen many go for cheap here lately on craigslist and they are SWEET lathes. I am sure they are way precise even with a little wear on them and to get one and cnc it should be relatively easy... Just a thought... peace

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    Anyone ever used this company? look at the bottom of the page this is the unit I am thinking of putting on a lathe. maybe a 1340 or 1236.

Low Cost Industrial CNC 20amp Servo Systems, Shipping WORLDWIDE
    If you are going to roll your own, you might want to look into Motion Control Products - DMM Technology

They sell AC servos vs brushed DC, have higher resolution encoders, and their packages are very attractively priced.

bob

Hello all,
    Goog day, maybe have someone here CAD designing a simple but capable cnc lathe so that we can make it. Purchase controller and the rest thing needed. If you purchase something that you do not know quality and support, you just spend money. In here we got many design cnc router and cnc milling but not cnc lathe. Maybe somebody selling plan for cnc lathe with different size. Thanks.

now looking into the bolton great price a few videos looks good not enough feedback though?

Quote Originally Posted by dbrija View Post
    It looks a bit fishy.....
    I can't say much about the business practices of machinery sellers in China (never having bought their machinery), but I did visit a shop in Ningbo China which was running a lot of economical CNC lathes. Four position tool changers, auto collet closer, coolant plumbed, and enclosure all for the tidy sum of $6500USD. Excellent value for a servo driven production machine. A bunch bigger than benchtop, but easy to fit into a garage. I forgot about these machines. I reckon the ones I saw were about 2500lbs with a footprint about 4' x 6'.

It's too bad, but I can't recall if the control display language was Chinese or English.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    I can't say much about the business practices of machinery sellers in China (never having bought their machinery), but I did visit a shop in Ningbo China which was running a lot of economical CNC lathes. Four position tool changers, auto collet closer, coolant plumbed, and enclosure all for the tidy sum of $6500USD. Excellent value for a servo driven production machine. A bunch bigger than benchtop, but easy to fit into a garage. I forgot about these machines. I reckon the ones I saw were about 2500lbs with a footprint about 4' x 6'.

It's too bad, but I can't recall if the control display language was Chinese or English.
    This bolton cnc lathe seem good so far.

Ok found a problem with bolton cnc lathe it only comes in metric right now looking into the 2011 model to find out if they are going to offer both inch and metric I use inch all day long so believe it will not be fun to switch right now so it may be the determining factor to change my mind I am still looking into microkinetics and cncmasters but the bolton is fully enclosed thats nice and comes with the 4 position tool changer the rest are expensive upgrades I do wish I could find other machines in this line I guess they are just not made in this price range now the cncmasters has a good feature it can be used manually but I can not find any info on how you disconnect the cnc and the microkinetics has the feature of demoing it in their facility that sounds great except they are expensive when adding feature except they dont offer any type of enclosure? Thats not good at all for the cnc part. Any help guy's would be great.

Page 2 of 2 12