587,561 active members*
3,315 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Design Help

Design Help

I have another hair brained idea. Want to make a squirrel cage blower on the really cheap. I have a motor, variable speed and its controller. Need to design a cage that will pull 400 cfm. How do I figure the size of the cage, and the casing for it. It will suck out a volume in a 18" x 36" x 22" deep with a maximum of four feet of 4" dia. vent duct work. My motor is 1 H.P. VDC. It will be for a hobby airbrush spray booth type application. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Unless you're really set on building one, I'd check with local HVAC companies and pick up a used fan from a furnace.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Exclamation Danger, Danger, Danger, Will Robinson!!!

SPEEDRE,

Whatever route you choose, build or buy, remember to keep the motor isolated from the paint fumes (unless it is an explosion proof motor), otherwise bad bad things could/would happen. (flame2)If a large explosion did happen, you too could be "Lost in Space"!!!

I just purchased a used squirrel cage blower that I plan on converting to a dual purpose unit. I will box it in and install multiple filters to use it as a shop air cleaner. I will also use it to blow air into a "paint booth/room" with the motor isolated from the fumes, to provide positive pressure and vent through a window fitted with additional filters.

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Oh yes I know that, been blown away once in an industrial setting. I would only be doing acrylics, but will absolutely isolate the motor.

SPEEDRE,

Just wanted to say hi neighbor. Where in New Hampshire are you located. I reside in Burlington (Colchester actually), VT.

Have you resolved/calculated your "hair brained" squirrel cage sizing dilema? Wish I colud help, but alas I am clueless.

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

As of yet, NO. I may have understated my request. I need to build a cage and casing, or enclosure for it. I want it to to be able to, evacuate a box that is 18" x 26" x 20" deep. I have a formula for figuring the CFM's necessary to do that, but, how large the diameter, and how wide the cage should be, was not included. I need help to figure out those things. A cage, and its enclosure. Anyone with any idea???

As previously stated, it is quite silly to try to build your own when the local HVAC contractor is throwing them away on a daily basis. Seriously, just go talk to one of them and tell them you need the blower out of an old furnace.

Matt

You are correct, please delete this post. FINI