587,223 active members*
3,111 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: TMC-1000

TMC-1000

This is my final try...

I've had a TMC-1000, for a few years, even posted here a couple of years ago, but no luck. If I don't figure it out this time, it's going in the trash, or wherever these things go when they become giant paperweights (on the sale list and/or E-Bay) Anyway, here we go:

1. It used to work, I used it at work almost every day.

2. One at a time, the axis drive motors quit working.

3. When in Manual Mode, I can get the Spindle Motor to rotate.

4. If I give it an axis motion, I can hear the hum change pitch. The contoller counts as if it is moving, yet nothing moves. If I hit the "space bar" on the screen, it sounds like a hard stop is being hit.

5. If I open the cover, the indicator tells me, so that seems to be working.

6. Yes, I pulled the "E" Stop.

Again, one last try...

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

I could relieve you of all that pain and suffering,interested in buying it.
    A new controller and steppers would work wonders if not ready to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by thumper650 View Post
    I could relieve you of all that pain and suffering,interested in buying it.
    A new controller and steppers would work wonders if not ready to sell.
    It hasn't reach the pain threshold, yet. I have few bucks to throw at it, so long as it is something not too complicated. The issue I am having is finding someone who has intimate knowledge of the system, that as is willing to help me troubleshoot it. I do not want to spend the money to convert it, if it comes to a fix I am unwilling to pay for, I will keep you in mind.

Most seem to toss the original electronics and retrofit them.
    heres a few links where you might be able to find some answers.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...mc_1000_a.html

Light Machines > Customer Service

TMC1000 running Mach3 on T30 ThinkPad

http://www.intelitekdownloads.com/Manuals/CNC/

Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Most seem to toss the original electronics and retrofit them.
    heres a few links where you might be able to find some answers.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...mc_1000_a.html

Light Machines > Customer Service

TMC1000 running Mach3 on T30 ThinkPad

Index of /Manuals/CNC

Hoss

Thanks Hoss, but I've been to them already...

Appreciate the reply, though.

44 Echo

44Echo, where are you?

I pulled the cover of the motor box. When powered up the motor is locked, when powered down, I can turn the motor.

I pulled the cover off the control box. Nothing looks broken or burned.

I'm assuming that the motors are fine? Perhaps the motor driver is bad?

Ok so you say the "motor". Are you referring to a stepper or the spindle? A stepper will lock up on powering up and stay that way til commanded to do something different. The spindle motor on the other hand should generally be free spinning when no power is applied, however even this could vary depending what was used at the spindle.

Is there anyway you can post some close up pictures of the electronics? The more specific photos and info you can provide, the better we will be at diagnosis. Post a video to YouTube if you have a cell phone and do a walk around it. Alot of these parts are very similar and can be adapted or retrofitted very easily. Personally I would replace the drives with something from Keling or Gecko and most likely reuse the power supply and existing steppers. I was reading another post of yours that says the spindle was working under manual control. If this is the case, the spindle speed control board probably switches the ground from the controllers resposibiliity to the manual switch on the machine (this is harder to explain than actually do but it is an output on a breakout board or G540). That is the way it works on my Dyna mill. Though in actuality spindle control on a mill has never been a big deal as long as it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Ok so you say the "motor". Are you referring to a stepper or the spindle? A stepper will lock up on powering up and stay that way til commanded to do something different. The spindle motor on the other hand should generally be free spinning when no power is applied, however even this could vary depending what was used at the spindle.
    The 3 stepper motors that drive the X,Y, and Z axis all lock upon start-up, but will freely turn, once the power has been turned off. The spindle motor will start, and is controllable. I keep thinking that the commands are not getting to the axis motors, or the motors themselves are bad, but from what I read from you and others, if they lock chances are they are good, and I am having a communication issue somewhere. I don't think it is with the software, since from the manual mode, I can control the spindle. In my mind, that leaves me with cables, the stepper control board, and drivers. From again, what I have read from others, the stepper control board usually takes everything out simultaneously when it goes bad. I have "belled" out all of the cables, straight through, although I don't know if any of them have cross wired pins, and they are all good. I'm leaning toward the drivers, but I don't know if I'm even in the right ballpark, or how to troubleshoot them (it), what it looks like, where it is located, etc...

The steppers are acting as they should. I too dont know how to troubleshoot the drivers but there are other tests. What do you use to control the machine? Mach 3 or is it something proprietary of Light Machines? Need to make sure the signals are going to the correct place. This is where working with unknown systems gets a little harder but there are people here that can help. The cables from the stepper will go directly to the drivers (there might be a DB9 or some other form of connector between the 2). Are they discolored? Smell burnt if you are up close? Start simple. There will be exceptions to the rules but lets start there. Again pics speak a thousand words.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    The steppers are acting as they should. I too dont know how to troubleshoot the drivers but there are other tests. What do you use to control the machine? Mach 3 or is it something proprietary of Light Machines? Need to make sure the signals are going to the correct place. This is where working with unknown systems gets a little harder but there are people here that can help. The cables from the stepper will go directly to the drivers (there might be a DB9 or some other form of connector between the 2). Are they discolored? Smell burnt if you are up close? Start simple. There will be exceptions to the rules but lets start there. Again pics speak a thousand words.
    I'm running a PURELY stock set-up, here. The original controller, Windows 95, I think the S/N is 0200, or something. The company I work for bought 2 of them back in the 80's, I think. Again, pics when I get home, and nothing looks out of place, in terms of burned or broken.

The Mill

The Control Box

Sorry about the crappy pictures.

I can see the pics but I cant select or expand them.