587,541 active members*
6,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Using 3d on BobCad

Using 3d on BobCad

Hello everyone. I am trying to help a guy at work. He is using an OLD version of virtual gibbs that doesnt support 3d and he is trying to add some details to a part. I told him that Bobcad does 3d and told him I would give it a go. Anyway, I am trying to add this detail to a circle in aluminum. The holes are drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 which I can figure all that out but the side of the detail where it has a taper is what I cant figure out how to configure in the software for g code. I have attached a rough sketch I did in Paint to describe the detail. Sorry its so sloppy, I am not much of an artist. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. If you have any questions let me know. Thanks in advance.

What Version of Bob Cad are you using?

If you are using v23, a z level rough followed by an equal distant offset would be how i would machine that out

I am using a older version 21.
    thanks jvangelder I will try that. Anyone else have any ideas?

if using 3D ops,must draw 3D.Use cone.Or is that a ball at the bottom of cone?Either way,you could use the solids,or check out the Revolve feature in Surfaces.If I am understanding you right,explore these,draw,and if need help on Cam,Post back.

I am still learning this cnc stuff. here is what I need help with now. Thanks
    Thanks

In order to generate the toolpath you need to 1st create a surface. You can do this by clicking on the solids option.

Before you start creating your surface go to the point menu & selct arc center. Click on the lower circle inorder to create a point at it's center

Now select surface Creation. Then go down to revolve.

Now at the bottom of the screen it will prompt you.

Basically you need to select the 20.3 angle line. it will ask you which direction you want it to be fly over the line until it points upwards. now click.

Then it will ask to pick the end of the chain. Just click anwhere on the screen.

Now when the box opens up make sure you have Pick selected under axis.

Click OK

Then click on the point created earlier.

This should give you a surface.

I will try this tomorrow when I get into work. Thank you very much.

Just out of curiosity will I see this surface I have created?
    Here is where I am so far I put the 20.3 in there but everytime I say okay at this screen I see no difference. Also that inner circle I just tried to math out but I was wanting to try and let the program put the inner circle there it needs to be 20.3 degrees from that outer circle on top going to the center at z0. Thanks

Also it seems as though nothing in my surface creation is working I tried taking the stacked circles in the drawing and just having the inner and outer circle and using the extrude option but the dialog box will not come up. as it says it should in the book.

Hi,

I tied to recreate the surface I described & had some problems. It will work better if you put another point in the centre of the higer circle now use the join function to draw a line between the 2.

When it's time to pick the axis for the rebolve click on this line.

2nd you misunderstood the part about the rotation angle. In your case this will be 360 in order to create a full conical surface. the 20.3 Angle that you need will be attined by you revolving the 20.3 angled line you've already drawn around the axis .

3rd you will see the surface once you've created it. It will look like a mesh.

Good luck!!

hey, thanks alot. I will try all that. I have a provided .stl file that I believe will work with some of my other software. But I have version 21 of Bobcad it will not open or recognize it.

What other software do you have ??