587,163 active members*
4,041 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > for those looking for an alternative to the duality lathe...

for those looking for an alternative to the duality lathe...

I was surfing around and came accross this page...interesting idea with a really powerul motor...

Turn any CNC mill into a precision CNC lathe

Jim

Lathe alternative

Interesting concept. How do they keep the tools and spindle from rotating due to the cutting forces?

Ernie

This is exactly what Tormach needs... Except the price! I called and the Sturgis system is $20,000 with the cros-slide. Too bad.
    I think if Tormach drove a 5C with a robust motor and some nice bearings we would have a real CNC lathe that matches the power of the 1100.

I think the bolton cnc lathe is about the best out there for the price this idea of the mill into a lathe is just to much maybe great for someone who has all day or weekend to play but for parts you need both.

$20,000..... hahahah any shop could afford one. Great interviewing setup, looks like a dirty bed sheet used as a backdrop. For 5 grand more you could buy a used or low end Haas. Sucks thought it was going to be $2000 or so, I would have bought one. Really cool product I just don't think the price is any where close to what you're getting.

Another thing is without the software that tormach offers and the port plug you won't be able to thread. Cool idea and really wish Tormach had this option with threading, would be a problem solved for me right now.

I bought the headstock off of a 10 inch Atlas and mounted it on my Tormach. Works great, do wish I could thread though. I wrote a post for my MasterCam and this thing does everything that I expected and needed. I am going to work on the chuck encoder next so we can get some threading out of the old girl.

Quote Originally Posted by cuttingedgepart View Post
    I bought the headstock off of a 10 inch Atlas and mounted it on my Tormach. Works great, do wish I could thread though. I wrote a post for my MasterCam and this thing does everything that I expected and needed. I am going to work on the chuck encoder next so we can get some threading out of the old girl.
    Lets see some pics!!

david

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieD View Post
    Interesting concept. How do they keep the tools and spindle from rotating due to the cutting forces?

Ernie
    I think that was the idea behind the centered-up tool holder. As long as the turning of the holder does not cause the radius of the tool tip to rotate around past it's start point on either side, the dimension is good.

In the video, it shows the operator turning the tool, so I figure they are relying on the friction and belt tension to hold the tip in the proper position.

It'd be boot simple to put a friction lock on the spindle, or a stop pin of one sort or another on the tool to stop it rotating at all.

I'm trying to get my head around programming for something like this using CAM software. GibbsCam, specifically. Hmmm... Lathe programming, for a guy that runs a milling machine...

Thinking if you were to program using a tool diameter equal to your tool tip rad., with zero rpm. You'd have to set up the options to always start from Y+, towards Y-... Interesting enough system. Looks like a good option for guys that want bigger swing than the little Duality or similar.
    Worth keeping in mind.

Cheers
    Trev

Sturgis system with specs like: spindle run-out: 0.00005 in. maximum (0.00002 in. optional) doesn't match the Tormach.

It would be more cost effective for me to buy a used Hardinge HLV or Monarch 10EE and convert one of those to CNC. At least the rest of the lathe (ways, tailstock, crossslide, etc) would match the precision spindle.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    Sturgis system with specs like: spindle run-out: 0.00005 in. maximum (0.00002 in. optional) doesn't match the Tormach.

It would be more cost effective for me to buy a used Hardinge HLV or Monarch 10EE and convert one of those to CNC. At least the rest of the lathe (ways, tailstock, crossslide, etc) would match the precision spindle.

Don
    IMO the 20K pricetag on the Sturges, does not represent a reasonable buy, no matter where you are shopping to put it, when there are as many good working machines out there that can be had complete, for the money.

But the principle can be adapted easily enough with a little work. I like the principle. The toolholders I could take or leave.

Cheers
    Trev

Quote Originally Posted by trevj1 View Post
    IMO the 20K pricetag on the Sturges, does not represent a reasonable buy, no matter where you are shopping to put it, when there are as many good working machines out there that can be had complete, for the money.

Cheers
    Trev

BUMP That's essentially what I said in the quote you left off.

Don

BUMP That's essentially what I said in the quote you left off.

Don
    Well, I read it as saying you'd look for a conversion prospect.

I wouldn't. I'd be looking for a ready to run cnc lathe. Lots of them around.

Looking at all those decimal places, I'd be pondering whether it actually was able to keep to it anyway. They should be making replacement spindles for Hardinge lathes, with those numbers.

Matters not, at that price. Same money gets threading and all the other stuff this can't do.

Cheers
    Trev

A CNC lathe I saw at WESTEC a couple of years back was the Haas TL1. Has a 16" swing and IIR could be run off single phase residential. Was nice in that it could also be used manually. Price started at ~$25K and everything was optional including the tailstock. So if price was no object I am sure there is plenty out there.

Don

A CNC lathe I saw at WESTEC a couple of years back was the Haas TL1. Has a 16" swing and IIR could be run off single phase residential. Was nice in that it could also be used manually. Price started at ~$25K and everything was optional including the tailstock. So if price was no object I am sure there is plenty out there.

Don
    There are not alot of these used for sale I was surprised but cant find a cheap one anyway.

I just saw an ad for this unit on the front page. Looks like the price has come down quite a bit. I wonder if they made any changes. They have a bunch of videos showing what it can do. Looks a little tougher than my mini lathe cnc!

Lathe Update

Thought I would post an update on the lathe I built for my 1100. I used the headstock off of a 10 in atlas lathe, used a vfd for spindle control, used a 4th
    axis homing sensor (from Tormach) for spindle index, built a tool holder similar to the one that is sold with the Duality. It works like a dream, threads great and has a 1 HP motor for all the power I will ever need. The whole thing for less than $600. The Atlas headstock is nice to use because it can be used as an indexing head also (they have an index plate built into them).

Thought I would post an update on the lathe I built for my 1100. I used the headstock off of a 10 in atlas lathe, used a vfd for spindle control, used a 4th
    axis homing sensor (from Tormach) for spindle index, built a tool holder similar to the one that is sold with the Duality. It works like a dream, threads great and has a 1 HP motor for all the power I will ever need. The whole thing for less than $600. The Atlas headstock is nice to use because it can be used as an indexing head also (they have an index plate built into them).
    Um, pictures and details? Maybe a video or two?? Please

That's super... for YOU.

To be fair the basic Sturges lathe setup with spindle, motor control, and tool holder is "only" $5k. I was a little surprised to see that he motor only generates 1/2 HP, though.